Windows 10: WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade

Discus and support WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just as a note, it is most likely I did something very stupid here. Please point out what I did wrong! So strange thing today, I upgraded my nvme... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/outcast, Mar 1, 2021.

1. WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade

Just as a note, it is most likely I did something very stupid here. Please point out what I did wrong!

So strange thing today, I upgraded my nvme drive today. Went from 500GB to 1TB, but now my WSL distros are missing.

what I did:

1. use DD to clone one drive to other dd if=nvme1n1 of=nvme0n1
    2. deleted recovery partition next to the primary.
    3. extended partition to use remaining space.

Is there anything that would have caused my distro's to go missing by doing what I did above. By all rights the drives were identical except for size. Even when I booted up windows, it took the old drive offline because the id's matched.

submitted by /u/outcast
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/outcast, Mar 1, 2021
  2. NickJP Win User

Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2

After installing the Win10 2004 build 19041 update (running winver shows "version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)", I've tried to upgrade a couple of installed distros I had in WSL version 1 to WSL version 2 following the instructions at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10. All the steps in the instructions compete successfully, up to the point where I try to change the WSL version of one of the installed distros to 2 at which point I see the messages below:

Code:
    I have enabled the Virtual Machine Platform feature (it shows as on with a tick against it in Control Panel Windows features), Intel-vt virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, and running msinfo32 shows, at the bottom of the system summary listing:

Code:
    I also tried installing another distro with the WSL default version set to 2, but attempting to launch it shows the error:

Code:
    Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? From what I've read, WSL2 gives worthwhile speed increases over WSL1, and so is worth using if I can get it to work.

NickJP, Mar 1, 2021
  3. Alternatives to using Windows Store to install Linux distro on WSL

I just wanted to ask what alternatives there are to using the Windows 10 to install Linux distros on WSL.

Also, it seems like Ubuntu 19 isn't available for the WSL. Is there a chance that we'll be able to install it when WSL2 is released? And I'd like to get the latest non-LTS version if possible (though it's alright if it's not possible too).

OsmanZakir, Mar 1, 2021
  4. WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade

WSL

Version 2 of WSL uses a new lightweight utility virtual machine capability. To enable the lightweight virtual machine and WSL, you need to enable two Windows features: Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux.

To enable these features via the user interface (UI), press the Windows key and enter Windows Features, then click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    When the Windows Features dialog appears, check the boxes for Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux.

If you want to make version 2 the default for any Linux distros you install then run the following command:

Code:
    Now you can install Linux distro from Microsoft Store it will be running version 2 of WSL.

A distro can be converted between versions of WSL after installation. To achieve this, you use the wsl --set-version command.

This command takes two arguments:

• The name of the distro to update
    • The version to convert it to

An example of converting the Ubuntu distro to version 2 is shown here:

Code:
    Execute wsl --list --verbose versions of WSL installed distro.

FreeBooter, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade

1. WSL distros disappear after drive upgrade - Similar Threads - WSL distros disappear

2. WSL 2 distro installation failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL 2 distro installation failure: Installation of WSL 2 distros fails with error Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed. I also cannot run Hyper-V...
  3. Custom WSL Distro Not Launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Custom WSL Distro Not Launching: Hello world. I recently decided to try installing a Linux distro to use with Windows Subsystem for Linux. I did not like any of the options provided, however, so I tried to use a "custom" one. I say this in quotes because the distro was publicly available, but not as a WSL...
  4. How to stop MSRT removing the hosts files in WSL distros

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to stop MSRT removing the hosts files in WSL distros: Ran MSRT full system scan which reported SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack. In the log file, the following appears: Threat detected: SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack...
  5. Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2: After installing the Win10 2004 build 19041 update (running winver shows "version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)", I've tried to upgrade a couple of installed distros I had in WSL version 1 to WSL version 2 following the instructions at...
  6. How to import and export WSL distros on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to import and export WSL distros on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]With Windows 10, Microsoft allows a user to run multiple Linux distros based on WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux. But when reinstalling or resetting Windows 10, all the configuration stored with these WSL distros gets deleted. Or to back [...] This post...
  7. How to add users to WSL Distro (Windows Subsystem for Linux)

in Windows 10 News
    How to add users to WSL Distro (Windows Subsystem for Linux): [ATTACH] [ATTACH]WSL or Windows Subsystem for Linux for Windows 10 support multiuser capabilities. And when it comes to user management for software, various aspects of software management can be discussed. Adding a user to the Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows [...]...
  8. Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10: How to: Update and Upgrade WSL Distro Packages in Windows 10 How to Update and Upgrade Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro Packages in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line...
  9. Unregister Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Unregister Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10: How to: Unregister Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 How to Unregister and Reset Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux...
  10. Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10: How to: Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 How to Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distros in Windows 10 The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new Windows 10 feature that enables you to run native Linux command-line tools...