Windows 10: WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux

Discus and support WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; 11/11/2018 I have windows 10, version 1803, OS build 17134.37 In powershell as administrator, I run the command: enable-windowsoptionalfeature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by WmFB973, Nov 11, 2018.

1. WmFB973 Win User

WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux

11/11/2018

I have windows 10, version 1803, OS build 17134.37

In powershell as administrator, I run the command:

enable-windowsoptionalfeature -online -featurename microsoft-windows-subsystem-linux

and receive error:

enable-windowsoptionalfeature : the referenced assembly could not be found.

I don't have it blocked in my firewall, what can I do to resolve this?

Thanks.

:)

WmFB973, Nov 11, 2018

2. Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Nov 11, 2018
  3. mattynyc Win User
    enabling windows subsystem linux on windows 10

im trying to enable WSL (which is why i bought Windows 10 in the first place)

if i try to enable "Windows Subsystem for Linux" using the "Windows Features" graphical interface, my machine reboots, but it doesn't install WSL (and upon revisiting the "Windows Features" console, the option becomes un-ticked
    again.

Trying to install WSL via powershell yields:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled.

At line:1 char:1

+ Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows- ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux :)) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException

i seem to be having issues getting KB4054517 properly installed.

i've read through a few articles that had me un-install and re-install this patch manually, but nothing seems to work.

i'm just trying to enable WSL... it's the feature I went with Windows 10 to make use of.

is there anyway to do so WITHOUT having to totally re-install windows?

Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.15

mattynyc, Nov 11, 2018
  4. hamdev Win User

Cannot enable windows subsystem for linux on Windows 10 Home

I am attempting to install WSL following the instructions at Install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on on Windows 10

So I opened PowerShell as Administrator and entered

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

The response is

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : One or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled.

At line:1 char:1

+ Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows- ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux :)) [Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature], COMException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.EnableWindowsOptionalFeatureCommand

That is all the information provided. Do I need Windows 10 Pro? I saw that mentioned with the original beta release, but there is no mention on the web page I listed on the first line of this post or the parent of that page.

hamdev, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

1. WSL - Enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux - Similar Threads - WSL Enabling Subsystem

2. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found: Guys help, I've contacted ms support multiple times and none of the agents have been able to solve the issue.so, I have Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL with Ubuntu installed. yesterday, i tried to install docker, and it was kind of a mess, so i just uninstalled it in every...
  3. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found: Guys help, I've contacted ms support multiple times and none of the agents have been able to solve the issue.so, I have Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL with Ubuntu installed. yesterday, i tried to install docker, and it was kind of a mess, so i just uninstalled it in every...
  4. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL: I’m having trouble with the Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to open WSL, it automatically closes within a second. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling the WSL feature, but the issue persists. Can anyone provide guidance on how to...
  6. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL: I’m having trouble with the Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL on my Windows 10 computer. Whenever I try to open WSL, it automatically closes within a second. I’ve tried disabling and re-enabling the WSL feature, but the issue persists. Can anyone provide guidance on how to...
  7. relate to Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL

8. windows 10 subsystem linux wsl on desktop

windows 10 subsystem linux wsl on desktop: Has anyone been able to get the sub-system Linux to run on Windows 10 desktop? I have followed different tutorials but to date none of them have actually opened Ubuntu in Windows 10. Just curious to know if it can be made to work....
  9. DirectX is coming to Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)

in Windows 10 News
    DirectX is coming to Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL): DirectX is coming to the Windows Subsystem for Linux At //build 2020 we announced that GPU hardware acceleration is coming to the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2). What is WSL? WSL is an environment in which users can run their Linux applications from the comfort of...
  10. Using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in an Enterprise

in Windows 10 News
    Using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in an Enterprise: Recently, customers in an enterprise environment have asked if there is a way to install WSL without an internet connection. These companies had some machines that would benefit from having WSL, but don't have an internet connection for security, logistics, or other reasons....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature to install wsl powershell

2. powershell allow linux window subsystem

3. linux subsystem enable-windowsoptionalfeature : one or several parent features are disabled so current feature can not be enabled

4. enabling windows linux subsystem,
  5. what happens when you enable Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux,
  6. how to create desktop folder on windows subsystem for linux ubuntu,
  7. Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : The referenced assembly could not be found. WSL,
  8. windows subsystem for linux installation referenced assembly could not,
  9. Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : The referenced assembly could not be found.,
  10. enable wsl windows,
  11. wslregisterdistribution failed with error: 0x8007019e,
  12. the windows subsystem for linux optional component is not enabled. please enable it and try again.,
  13. wslregisterdistribution failed with error: 0x8007019ethe windows subsystem for linux optional component is not enabled. please enable it and try again.