Windows 10: WSL Installation Error

Discus and support WSL Installation Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to install WSL so I can run Linux on a fresh Win10Pro64 install ThinkPad T470, raw Win10Pro install, drivers & Windows up-to-date, where I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JonKelley2, Oct 12, 2020.

1. WSL Installation Error

I'm trying to install WSL so I can run Linux on a fresh Win10Pro64 install ThinkPad T470, raw Win10Pro install, drivers & Windows up-to-date, where I get the following screen:

WSL Installation Error b1f6efc5-227b-4632-b250-4264fd62b07b?upload=true.png

Anyone got any ideas? I was indeed running PowerShell as admin as can be seen, and you can see what was happening. I had WSL1 and Ubuntu 20.02 running on the previous OEM install, but it was getting crapped up with minutiae and going Scorched Earth was, indeed, called for in this case.

DISM Log available upon request - I'm not going to just drop it in unasked, it's fairly long. If you need it, just ask, and I'll post it.

I'd like to get WSL2 working this time - it wouldn't go before. In administrative terms, this is a pretty comprehensive Windows install, I took many of the standard options, with alterations in minor settings.

I was just guessing when I put this here - it almost fits in Microsoft Store as well, but I think it fits here just a bit better...

JDK

:)

JonKelley2, Oct 12, 2020
  2. NickJP Win User

Cannot upgrade installed distros in WSL to version 2

After installing the Win10 2004 build 19041 update (running winver shows "version 2004 (OS build 19041.388)", I've tried to upgrade a couple of installed distros I had in WSL version 1 to WSL version 2 following the instructions at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10. All the steps in the instructions compete successfully, up to the point where I try to change the WSL version of one of the installed distros to 2 at which point I see the messages below:

Code:
    I have enabled the Virtual Machine Platform feature (it shows as on with a tick against it in Control Panel Windows features), Intel-vt virtualization is enabled in the BIOS, and running msinfo32 shows, at the bottom of the system summary listing:

Code:
    I also tried installing another distro with the WSL default version set to 2, but attempting to launch it shows the error:

Code:
    Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? From what I've read, WSL2 gives worthwhile speed increases over WSL1, and so is worth using if I can get it to work.

NickJP, Oct 12, 2020
  3. WSL is not able to install

Dear forum users,

I know this question has been asked and answered a countless number of times but here it is again...

I need help involving the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Whichever method I use to install WSL, be it through PowerShell, DISM, GUI or anything else, I get the same error messages. They go along these lines. Not very accurate since everything happened too
    quickly for me to record.

• Working on features...
    • 94% complete
    • We couldn't complete the updates
    • Undoing changes
    After all that the computer restarts only to do this process again. It is curious that no matter whichever method I use, the same results appear. Needless to say, WSL is not installed in the end. I've tried many fixes but to no avail. Do comment with your
    opinions and fixes. If you need any specifications, do not hesitate to ask me.

My sincere thanks in advance

P.S. Please direct me to the correct category if I am in the wrong place. Sorry!

NotATechSavvyUser, Oct 12, 2020
  4. WSL Installation Error

Resolving WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2?

# Encountering WslRegisterDistribution error 0x80370102 when installing Linux Distro for WSL 2

I am currently on the `Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview build 18922.rs_prerelease`, and am trying to install a Linux distribution to access via Windows Subsystem for Linux (2). I have tried this for both the Ubuntu and Debian distros and have encountered the
    same error in each.

I have successfully downloaded both distros from the Microsoft store, but when I try to first "run" the Ubuntu or Debian "app" the respective console comes up and prints the following text:

Code:
    Installing, this may take a few minutes...

WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102

Error: 0x80370102 The virtual machine could not be started because a required feature is not installed.

Press any key to continue...
    Pressing a key at this point automatically exits the console.
    ---

## Additional information:

- Using the `wsl -l` command shows no installed distros.

- I do have Hypervisor installed and running `bcdedit` does show that `hypervisorlaunchtype` is set to `Auto` in the `Windows Boot Loader` section.

- I did previously have Ubuntu installed and working under WSL 1 before switching to the Windows Insider Program Fast Ring and gaining access to WSL 2, but I was encountering another issue when trying to have it use WSL 2. After
    trying to use the command `wsl --set-version Ubuntu 2` I was met with a request to "Enable the Virtual Machine Platform". I had already run `Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform` prior, according to the official microsoft
    tutorial here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/wsl2-install, but for good measure I did it again and got the same error, and Ubuntu was still on version 1 (I haven't explicitly mentioned it but I was restarting/shutting down when requested/suggested
    by windows and tutorials, so I don't believe me not restarting is a cause). In hopes to find a workaround, I ended up uninstalling Ubuntu and hoping I could reinstall it and have it obey the default defined by the `wsl --set-default-version 2` command (suffice
    it to say, this did not go as I'd hoped).

- This might be an unrelated issue, but when I initially attempted reinstalling Ubuntu, the Microsoft store had a bit of a fit and could not complete the download- encountering an 'unknown error'. I did a restart, tried again, and
    got the same error, but then after telling it to 'try again' it succeeded. I had no such issues installing Debian from the store.

---

## Suggestions Welcome

I've searched for a bit and can't find mention of this error code in particular anywhere else.

In addition, is there anywhere I can look up/access these error codes in any sort of documentation? Ideally so I can make a better informed work-around attempt before bothering you all on here.

All help is appreciated!

SamuelLudwig, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

WSL Installation Error

1. WSL Installation Error - Similar Threads - WSL Installation Error

2. WSL Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL Error: I accidentally deleted part of my WSL folder in C:\Program Files\, so now when I try to run any wsl programs, linux distros, or try to install it, it says: The system cannot find the file specified. Error code: Wsl/CallMsi/ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDHow do I fix this error? Thank...
  3. WSL Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Error: I accidentally deleted part of my WSL folder in C:\Program Files\, so now when I try to run any wsl programs, linux distros, or try to install it, it says: The system cannot find the file specified. Error code: Wsl/CallMsi/ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUNDHow do I fix this error? Thank...
  4. WSL Error

WSL Error: Even after enabling vm and windows sub system for Linux option in features and enabling virtualisation , when I run wsl commands I am getting class not registered error I have no idea regarding the issue please help in fixing this issue....
  5. Install WSL manually with 0x80073CF3 error

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Install WSL manually with 0x80073CF3 error: I am trying to install WSL with this manual: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-on-server, with my MS store disabled. However, I get error 0x80073CF3====================PS C:\USERS\Yerong\Downloads\Ubuntu> Add-AppxPackage...
  6. Install WSL manually with 0x80073CF3 error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install WSL manually with 0x80073CF3 error: I am trying to install WSL with this manual: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-on-server, with my MS store disabled. However, I get error 0x80073CF3====================PS C:\USERS\Yerong\Downloads\Ubuntu> Add-AppxPackage...
  7. Install WSL manually with 0x80073CF3 error

8. Error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.: Getting error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.I have installed this by command-> wsl --install -d Ubuntu-20.04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-on-installing-wsl-with-ubuntu/d0dc0832-03be-47c3-838d-f19aa97ebbdf
  9. Error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.

Error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.: Getting error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.I have installed this by command-> wsl --install -d Ubuntu-20.04 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-on-installing-wsl-with-ubuntu/d0dc0832-03be-47c3-838d-f19aa97ebbdf
  10. Error on installing wsl with Ubuntu.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade