Windows 10: WSL is broken

Discus and support WSL is broken in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In Windows 10 Pro Insider 20190.1000 whenever I try installing a distro from MS Store, it downloads fine, but after launch it says "Installing, please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lorinet, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Lorinet Win User

WSL is broken

In Windows 10 Pro Insider 20190.1000 whenever I try installing a distro from MS Store, it downloads fine, but after launch it says "Installing, please wait" then fails with the following error message:

WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x800706be
    Error: 0x800706be The remote procedure call failed.

I tried it with Ubuntu and with Debian, neither of them work.

I tried disabling the WSL feature from "Turn Windows features on or off", rebooting, turning it back on, rebooting again, trying with both distros again, and the same error happened again with both.

This issue is driving me nuts as I really need a Linux-only CLI tool right now, and I can't do anything to get it working.

:)

Lorinet, Aug 16, 2020

2. WSL in windows Store

Actually, this is a consumer-oriented forum for general Windows 10 questions.

As WSL concerns mostly developers and Enterprise, I suggest asking there.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 16, 2020
  3. Recovering Debian WSL after restting PC

Hi stéphane70,

Thank you for sharing a few details about yout concern. To get your Debian WSL
    installed on your Windows 10, I recommend the steps suggested on this article. You might also want to check the
    distros available after the installation for your reference. If you still get the same error
    message, I advise that you perform a clean boot first and seek if the issue still re-occurs. There might
    be a program that is preventing your WSL to be installed. However, if you still get the same issue, then the next steps is
    creating a new user profile and naming it as
    test. By doing so, we'd be able to eliminate the possibility of a certain setting hindering the installation.

I'll be waiting for the results and your response to assist you for there.

ErwinJames San, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

WSL is broken

Using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in an Enterprise

Source: Using WSL in an Enterprise Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

WSL is broken

1. WSL is broken - Similar Threads - WSL broken

2. Trouble with WSL powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with WSL powershell: Whenever i enter: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all/norestart it gives me: cmdlet enalbe-WindowsOptionalFeature at commands pipeline position 1 supply values for the following parameters: FeatureName[0]...
  3. Trouble with WSL powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with WSL powershell: Whenever i enter: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all/norestart it gives me: cmdlet enalbe-WindowsOptionalFeature at commands pipeline position 1 supply values for the following parameters: FeatureName[0]...
  4. Trouble with WSL powershell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Trouble with installing WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with installing WSL: Hello! When I try to install WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux on my laptop, everything goes smoothly until I have to restart the laptop. Initially, the update progresses well, reaching approximately 97%. However, at that point, an error message appears: ‘Something unexpected...
  6. Trouble with installing WSL

Trouble with installing WSL: Hello! When I try to install WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux on my laptop, everything goes smoothly until I have to restart the laptop. Initially, the update progresses well, reaching approximately 97%. However, at that point, an error message appears: ‘Something unexpected...
  7. WSL broken in 25188 - can't start Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL broken in 25188 - can't start Ubuntu: I'm trying from the command line: wsl --install UbuntuI get:Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80070057 Error: 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect....
  8. WSL broken in 25188 - can't start Ubuntu

WSL broken in 25188 - can't start Ubuntu: I'm trying from the command line: wsl --install UbuntuI get:Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80070057 Error: 0x80070057 The parameter is incorrect....
  9. WSL2, Ubuntu 20.04: all mapplications installed via snap are always “broken” after restart WSL

in Windows 10 Customization
    WSL2, Ubuntu 20.04: all mapplications installed via snap are always “broken” after restart WSL: Installed Ubuntu 20.04 distro on WSL 2Created wsl.conf as following:===============================================================[automount]enabled = trueoptions = "metadata,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=22,fmask=11,case=off"mountFsTab = truecrossDistro =...
  10. WSL in new 18272.rs_prerelease.181026-1425 Insider update is broken

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WSL in new 18272.rs_prerelease.181026-1425 Insider update is broken: I just updated to the new insider build and my Ubuntu and Kali installations are gone. If I type bash in cmd I get "No such interface supported" If I click on the shortcut for either Kali or Ubuntu a terminal window flashes on my screen and then closes. Is anyone else seeing...