Windows 10: WSL is not able to install

Discus and support WSL is not able to install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear forum users, I know this question has been asked and answered a countless number of times but here it is again... I need help involving the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NotATechSavvyUser, May 20, 2020.

1. WSL is not able to install

Dear forum users,

I know this question has been asked and answered a countless number of times but here it is again...

I need help involving the Windows Subsystem for Linux. Whichever method I use to install WSL, be it through PowerShell, DISM, GUI or anything else, I get the same error messages. They go along these lines. Not very accurate since everything happened too quickly for me to record.

• Working on features...
    • 94% complete
    • We couldn't complete the updates
    • Undoing changes

After all that the computer restarts only to do this process again. It is curious that no matter whichever method I use, the same results appear. Needless to say, WSL is not installed in the end. I've tried many fixes but to no avail. Do comment with your opinions and fixes. If you need any specifications, do not hesitate to ask me.

My sincere thanks in advance

P.S. Please direct me to the correct category if I am in the wrong place. Sorry!

:)

NotATechSavvyUser, May 20, 2020

2. Recovering Debian WSL after restting PC

Hi stéphane70,

Thank you for sharing a few details about yout concern. To get your Debian WSL
    installed on your Windows 10, I recommend the steps suggested on this article. You might also want to check the
    distros available after the installation for your reference. If you still get the same error
    message, I advise that you perform a clean boot first and seek if the issue still re-occurs. There might
    be a program that is preventing your WSL to be installed. However, if you still get the same issue, then the next steps is
    creating a new user profile and naming it as
    test. By doing so, we'd be able to eliminate the possibility of a certain setting hindering the installation.

I'll be waiting for the results and your response to assist you for there.

ErwinJames San, May 23, 2020
  3. WSL in windows Store

Actually, this is a consumer-oriented forum for general Windows 10 questions.

As WSL concerns mostly developers and Enterprise, I suggest asking there.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 23, 2020
  4. WSL is not able to install

Alternatives to using Windows Store to install Linux distro on WSL

I just wanted to ask what alternatives there are to using the Windows 10 to install Linux distros on WSL.

Also, it seems like Ubuntu 19 isn't available for the WSL. Is there a chance that we'll be able to install it when WSL2 is released? And I'd like to get the latest non-LTS version if possible (though it's alright if it's not possible too).

OsmanZakir, May 23, 2020
Thema:

WSL is not able to install

1. WSL is not able to install - Similar Threads - WSL able install

2. Trouble with installing WSL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with installing WSL: Hello! When I try to install WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux on my laptop, everything goes smoothly until I have to restart the laptop. Initially, the update progresses well, reaching approximately 97%. However, at that point, an error message appears: ‘Something unexpected...
  3. Trouble with installing WSL

Trouble with installing WSL: Hello! When I try to install WSL Windows Subsystem for Linux on my laptop, everything goes smoothly until I have to restart the laptop. Initially, the update progresses well, reaching approximately 97%. However, at that point, an error message appears: ‘Something unexpected...
  4. Wsl Not installing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wsl Not installing ubuntu: one year ago i installed ubuntu and deleted is now i needed to install ubuntu wsl is not installing I have tried all the methods and deleted and reinstalled it many time but nothing happen I have reinstalled windows in new partition and tried to get wsl files and ext4.vdhx...
  5. Wsl Not installing ubuntu

Wsl Not installing ubuntu: one year ago i installed ubuntu and deleted is now i needed to install ubuntu wsl is not installing I have tried all the methods and deleted and reinstalled it many time but nothing happen I have reinstalled windows in new partition and tried to get wsl files and ext4.vdhx...
  6. wsl installation nightmare

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wsl installation nightmare: Hey guys,Haven't been able to install wsl on windows. Here's a summary of my pain:PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl -d Ubuntu-22.04 There is no distribution with the supplied name. Error code: Wsl/Service/WSL_E_DISTRO_NOT_FOUND PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl --install -d Ubuntu-22.04 Ubuntu 22.04...
  7. wsl installation nightmare

wsl installation nightmare: Hey guys,Haven't been able to install wsl on windows. Here's a summary of my pain:PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl -d Ubuntu-22.04 There is no distribution with the supplied name. Error code: Wsl/Service/WSL_E_DISTRO_NOT_FOUND PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl --install -d Ubuntu-22.04 Ubuntu 22.04...
  8. Trouble Installing WSL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Installing WSL: I'm trying to install WSL on Windows 10 via command line. This is the error I get:C:\Windows\system32>wsl --installInstalling: Windows Subsystem for LinuxCannot create a file when that file already exists.== ]I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I recently...
  9. Unable to install WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install WSL: I keep getting this error - "Failed to translate D: ...." Although I do not have any D Drive in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-wsl/c60525ca-ec33-4f73-acb9-37a6d5112df3
  10. GPU Compute, WSL Install and WSL Update arrive in WSL

in Windows 10 News
    GPU Compute, WSL Install and WSL Update arrive in WSL: There are three thrilling new updates for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in the new Windows Insider Preview Build 20150. The first is GPU compute: a feature that allows your Linux binaries to leverage your GPU, which makes it possible to do more machine learning/AI...