Windows 10: [WSL] No option to mount external HDD with eOS 5.1

Discus and support [WSL] No option to mount external HDD with eOS 5.1 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is my first attempt at WSL. I want to be able to use my files from Linux in Windows. I have 2 questions: 1) When I do wsl --help, I can't see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/My-Uncle-Touched-Me, Sep 16, 2020.

1. [WSL] No option to mount external HDD with eOS 5.1

This is my first attempt at WSL. I want to be able to use my files from Linux in Windows. I have 2 questions:

1) When I do wsl --help, I can't see the option for --mount, which is shown here. When I run the command for mount, it just shows me the list of available commands and --mount isn't one of them.

2) How can I check my WSL version? When I do wsl --set-default-version 2, it shows For information on key differences with WSL 2 please visit https://aka.ms/wsl2. I updated kernel from .msi package.

submitted by /u/My-Uncle-Touched-Me
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/My-Uncle-Touched-Me, Sep 16, 2020

2. Drive not mounted

Hi John,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I’m sorry to know that WD passport and
    Seagate Free Agent Goflex Desk drive not mounted in the event window. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and I will be happy to assist you.

Please provide us the following information, to assist you further.

• As you are able to find the drivers in device manager, are you able to find the drivers in Disk management also?
    Please refer the suggestions given by
    Imran Chand in the below link and check if that helps.

External HDD will not mount on one machine

Please let us know, if you need any further help and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vijaya Kumari 1, Sep 16, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    External HDD needs format

Hi there @menu

from Windows command mode

1) Diskpart
    2) list Disk
    3) select disk <disk4> I think it would be in your case
    4) clean
    5) convert gpt (optional step but I prefer gpt HDD's these days even just for data disks)
    6) create partition primary
    7) format fs=ntfs quick
    8) assign
    9) exit

now you should have HDD ready for use and assigned a disk letter.

you don't need to create an efi partition for this disk either.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 16, 2020
  4. [WSL] No option to mount external HDD with eOS 5.1

Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

I can help you:

1. Press Windows Key+R

2. Type 'cmd'

3. type 'diskpart'

4. type 'list disk'

5. find your external HDD in the list

6. type 'select disk (what ever the disk number is for the external HDD)

7. type clean

8. open Disk Management

9. right click the external HDD

10. click 'New Partition'

11. Complete the steps

BenjyP9250, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

[WSL] No option to mount external HDD with eOS 5.1

1. [WSL] No option to mount external HDD with eOS 5.1 - Similar Threads - WSL option mount

2. Trying to mount USB card reader to WSL.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to mount USB card reader to WSL.: I have Windows 11 running Kali using WSL. I have a USB sd card reader that I would like to mount so I can view linux file system sdcards. I use: get-ciminstance -query "select * from win32_diskdrive", to list my available drives. Then use: wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2...
  3. Trying to mount USB card reader to WSL.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to mount USB card reader to WSL.: I have Windows 11 running Kali using WSL. I have a USB sd card reader that I would like to mount so I can view linux file system sdcards. I use: get-ciminstance -query "select * from win32_diskdrive", to list my available drives. Then use: wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2...
  4. how to mount a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to mount a HDD: so I have a problem with my case that if I mount my HDD the way it must be the vibration is too much and case makes noise and since my case is on table it is annoying to hear vibration of case front panel Anyways today I decided to mount it angled in a way and secure around...
  5. how to mount a HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to mount a HDD: so I have a problem with my case that if I mount my HDD the way it must be the vibration is too much and case makes noise and since my case is on table it is annoying to hear vibration of case front panel Anyways today I decided to mount it angled in a way and secure around...
  6. how to mount a HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Installed 1903 and 1 of 2 external drives does not mount properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installed 1903 and 1 of 2 external drives does not mount properly: Have been using Win 10 several months with good success. System set up with two 2TB external USB3 drives. Recently upgraded to 1903. Now one of the drives mounts normally, and the other doesn't. The troublesome drive shows up in the USB connections list with the correct...
  8. WSL 1 to WSL 2 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    WSL 1 to WSL 2 Upgrade: Been using Windows Subsytem for Linux for some time. How do I get it upgrade to WSL 2. 132527
  9. HDD mounting brackets

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD mounting brackets: Sorry for the dumb question....but hoping to get more space in the SSD/HDD case rack. Does it matter if the brackets in pic are mounted "u" up or down as far as how many drives are mounted in case rack? I have them 'up' but seems to me alot of wasted space this way ??...
  10. Prevent HDD auto-mount

in Windows 10 Support
    Prevent HDD auto-mount: Hi, everyone! I've just installed a dual boot system, with two Windows 10 (one for work, one for gaming). I have a single HDD with two NTFS partitions for the two OS. Let's call the two OS Win1 and Win2. Win1 maps his own partition (system partition) as C:, and Win2...