Windows 10: WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

Discus and support WSL unable to perform DNS lookup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I need to install some packages to my WSL environment, however for some reason it is no longer able to connect to sites via URLs can connect to IP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ihavenoideawhatiamdoimg, Jan 16, 2020.

1. WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

Hi, I need to install some packages to my WSL environment, however for some reason it is no longer able to connect to sites via URLs can connect to IP addresses, meaning I can't.

Don't suppose anyone knows how i might fix this?

Thanks for any help!

:)

ihavenoideawhatiamdoimg, Jan 16, 2020

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Rhyseh Win User
    faster dns?

You've just had two pages of network professionals explaining to you that a DNS will not affect your gaming performance..... and now you can add another one to the list.

Think of DNS as an address book. All it does is tell you the address of a location, it doesn't tell you how to get there and has no impact on how fast you get there.... A faster DNS may increase how quickly you get this address, however this lookup will only be done once. After that it's up to your ISP to decide the best route for you to get there.

Rhyseh, Jan 16, 2020
  4. WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

DNS lookup failed after windows 10 upgrade

Hi Jonny,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I would suggest you to clear the DNS cache and see if that fixes the issue. Clearing the DNS cache forces DNS to query a DNS server rather than using information stored in the cache.

Follow these steps:

a. In the search box, type "command prompt."

b. In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. At the command prompt, type
    ipconfig /flushdns

d. Then type ipconfig /registerdns and press
    Enter

Please reply with the results, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

WSL unable to perform DNS lookup

1. WSL unable to perform DNS lookup - Similar Threads - WSL unable perform

2. Unable to install WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install WSL: I keep getting this error - "Failed to translate D: ...." Although I do not have any D Drive in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-wsl/c60525ca-ec33-4f73-acb9-37a6d5112df3
  3. Unable to install WSL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to install WSL: I keep getting this error - "Failed to translate D: ...." Although I do not have any D Drive in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-wsl/c60525ca-ec33-4f73-acb9-37a6d5112df3
  4. Unable to Uninstall WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Uninstall WSL: Hey,I decided that its was time to uninstall WSL due to it causing issues with another Application, so I uninstalled Ubuntu, uninstalled a WSL Update and WSLg Preview, but when I tried to uninstall WSL from Programs and Features, it rebooted, and then Windows 11 did not start...
  5. Unable to Uninstall WSL

Unable to Uninstall WSL: Hey,I decided that its was time to uninstall WSL due to it causing issues with another Application, so I uninstalled Ubuntu, uninstalled a WSL Update and WSLg Preview, but when I tried to uninstall WSL from Programs and Features, it rebooted, and then Windows 11 did not start...
  6. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  7. Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?

Is it possible to audit a DC or DNS server for DNS lookups from clients?: Hi folks,I'm looking to reduce our overall domain controller footprint and the first consideration is DNS lookups from the clients against their local domain controllers.Is there a way to audit the DC itself for who's doing lookups against it?...
  8. DNS lookup not working in WSL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DNS lookup not working in WSL: Hi, I've installed WSL Alpine on Windows 10 Build 18363. When I run shell in WSL I'm not able to resolve any domain names but I can ping. Disabling auto-generated resolv.conf and manually created one with nameservers 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 made no difference. Tried the...
  9. Unable to enable WSL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to enable WSL: Hi, I'm trying to enable WSL on my Laptop using following documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 when I enter the command cmd admin mode: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart...
  10. WIndows Performance Gone Bad -- DNS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WIndows Performance Gone Bad -- DNS: This AM my windows system's performance went into a nose dive tail spin?. It was hanging up on DNS resolution, delaying about 10-15 seconds every time it had to do a name resolution on an Internet site. Other things seemed to be quite slow as well, even when the internet...