Windows 10: WSL & website development

Discus and support WSL & website development in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; For years I've used the Windows environment to develop websites that eventually end up in a Linux environment. As an experiment I've installed Ubuntu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TTrout, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TTrout Win User

WSL & website development

For years I've used the Windows environment to develop websites that eventually end up in a Linux environment. As an experiment I've installed Ubuntu 18 in WSL, along with an Apache server, MySQL & PHP. Then cloned one of my github repos in my home folder (to allow IDE access) and opened the project in Apache Netbeans 11.1. So far so good, altho' I wasn't enamored with having to connect to the site with http://127.0.0.1:8000.

What surprised me, though, was how sluggish the site was. The worst case was generating a PDF - in Windows it was less than 2 seconds. In WSL it exceeded PHP's 30 second timeout.

I'm interested in hearing whether others have tried similar experiments and how successful (or not) that was.

:)

TTrout, Sep 18, 2019

2. WSL in windows Store

Actually, this is a consumer-oriented forum for general Windows 10 questions.

As WSL concerns mostly developers and Enterprise, I suggest asking there.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 18, 2019
  3. SNM
    SNM Win User
    Need system for Android App Development and Other Java Development and DB work

Hello team,

I am looking for a lower to mid range PC which will be used in Development such as Android App development, java, DB and other related task, NO GAMING at all suggest some proper PC.

My Budget is INR 25,000, I have tried multiple build maker website but using core i3 6th ot 7th gen prices are going above 30,000. I dont have much knowledge about AMD, please suggest a build in the price I have given.

A ref: System Builder

4. Brink Win User

Using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in an Enterprise

Source: Using WSL in an Enterprise Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

1. WSL & website development - Similar Threads - WSL website development

2. Unable to get WSL running in my development Windows 11 VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to get WSL running in my development Windows 11 VM: I'm trying to get WSL 2 working on my Windows 11 KVM based VM but I'm stuck in a vicious cycle as follows:* Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform* reboot* preparing automatic repair* attempt to access safe mode to resolve* we couldn't...
  3. Unable to get WSL running in my development Windows 11 VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to get WSL running in my development Windows 11 VM: I'm trying to get WSL 2 working on my Windows 11 KVM based VM but I'm stuck in a vicious cycle as follows:* Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName VirtualMachinePlatform* reboot* preparing automatic repair* attempt to access safe mode to resolve* we couldn't...
  4. As a developer, should I install dev stuff on WSL or on Windows11 in my case? What are the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    As a developer, should I install dev stuff on WSL or on Windows11 in my case? What are the...: As a developer, I am confused whether I should install development software on WSL itself or on Windows. For instance, installing Docker. When installing Docker Desktop you can select Windows containers or WSL backend. I don't understand what's the difference, the pros, and...
  5. As a developer, should I install dev stuff on WSL or on Windows11 in my case? What are the...

As a developer, should I install dev stuff on WSL or on Windows11 in my case? What are the...: As a developer, I am confused whether I should install development software on WSL itself or on Windows. For instance, installing Docker. When installing Docker Desktop you can select Windows containers or WSL backend. I don't understand what's the difference, the pros, and...
  6. WSL

WSL: problem:now i'm using win1122543.1000 rs_prerelease, and i got one wired problem: one of my wsl,kali,which is imported from another device, now can't open from file explorer, and another wslopenEuler,which installed by win store can be opend from file explorer faultless....
  7. WSL

in Windows 10 Support
    WSL: I have two questions related to Windows Subsystem for Linux. One, does anyone know of a recent how to that shows how to install a GUI in WSL? Secondly, how can I make sure I am using WSL2.0 instead of 1? I'd like to install some gui development tools inside Ubuntu on WSL ....
  8. PERMISSIONS Issue - Developing Websites on Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    PERMISSIONS Issue - Developing Websites on Windows: Hi, it's a bit of an odd forum to post this on but as it seems to be a Windows - permissions issue - I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm having issues with developing websites locally....something must have changed permissions in the back end because now whenever I try to...
  9. WSL

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL: I am running Windows version 2004 OS with Subsystem for Linux (WSL) installed and activated but can only use the Unix-like command-line shell (BASH). It is my understanding that with the May 2020 update the full GUI version of Linux distros will become available via WSL...
  10. lack of support for IE11 by website developers?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    lack of support for IE11 by website developers?: I want to use IE11 for its transportable desktop shortcuts. I find myself frequently having to set up on new machines, with the old disk drive still being mainly usable. OK user data areas Occasionally I have to revert to out-of-date data on old spare drives I have left...