Windows 10: WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep

Discus and support WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Zephyrus G15 laptop is about 2 months old now, and yesterday, I activated WSL2Windows Subsystem for Linux and installed Ubuntu 20.04 from Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by aswath8, Dec 20, 2020.

1. aswath8 Win User

WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep

My Zephyrus G15 laptop is about 2 months old now, and yesterday, I activated WSL2Windows Subsystem for Linux and installed Ubuntu 20.04 from Windows Store. Immediately after, I installed ROS, CUDA toolkit 11.1, KDE desktop and xrdp, and also VcXsrv. Now, everything works fine and smooth without problems. However, in the most unexpected way, the laptop when woken from sleep just turns on the keyboard backlight and fans slowly reach full speed because the laptop starts heating. During this, there is no response in the screen or to any keyboard commandsFn+F11 or CapsLock button is not changing it's state when pressed. I'm forced to just hold the power button to force shutdown after a some 10 mins. However, after turning it back on, everything just works fine.

Does anyone seem to have this problem or have any solution for making it responsive after waking it back from sleep?

:)

aswath8, Dec 20, 2020
  2. Chadi Win User

ASUS Laptop Won't Wake from Sleep Mode

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
    System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model UX490UAR
    System Type x64-based PC
    SMBIOS Version 3.0

Problem: about 80% of the time, my laptop won't wake up from sleep mode via keyboard press or mouse move/click. I seem to be missing many common features in power plan too, even after fresh Windows 10 install.

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 (clean)
    2. Updated all drivers
    3. Replicated on multiple Windows 10 versions, updates
    4. BIOS latest version
    5. No USB devices attached, ever. Only USB-C power and bluetooth mouse
    6. Disabled "fast startup" in control panel

WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep [​IMG]

Chadi, Dec 20, 2020
  3. wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 20, 2020
  4. WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep

PC cannot wake from sleep after enabling "Virtual Machine Plarform"

I recently upgraded to win10 2004 and tried out wsl2 by enabling "WSL" and "Virtual Machine Platform" features. After enabling these features, my laptop can no longer wake from sleep. The keyboard, the touchpad and the fingerprint reader are all not working
    and cannot wake my laptop up. I have to long press the power button to force shutdown and reboot.

I verified that this is a problem caused by enabling "Virtual Machine Platform" since my laptop can wake from sleep again after I turn off "Virtual Machine Platform". I tried multiple times and verified that as long as "VMP" is up, the laptop cannot wake
    from sleep and as long as I turn off "VMP", wake from sleep works again.

I liked WSL2 and I really want to use it at daily basis but failing to wake from sleep keeps me out of it. Appreciated if anyone knows how to fix it.

I have a hp envy x360 laptop with ryzen cpu.

PatrickHuang1, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep

1. WSL2 prevents laptop from waking back from sleep - Similar Threads - WSL2 prevents laptop

2. Unable to prevent USB mouse from waking up Windows/laptop from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to prevent USB mouse from waking up Windows/laptop from sleep.: Hi, I've a brand new Windows 10 laptop Dell I'm looking for a way to prevent USB mouse from waking up Windows/laptop from sleep. I'm read some articles on the same, which are suggesting to navigate to device manager and then use the Power Management tab to disable this...
  3. Fingerprint prevents laptop from sleep

Fingerprint prevents laptop from sleep: Hello,I have a problem with my hello fingerprint. After putting my laptop to sleep it will wake up on it's own and fingerprint sensor keeps working. I keep getting the message "your device couldn't recognize you. Try cleaning your fingerprint sensor" and it keeps refreshing...
  4. Laptop wakes from sleep - help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop wakes from sleep - help!: I"ve been trying to figure this out for such a long time and I'm losing my mind. The short version is that my computer, like my kid, seems to wake up from sleep all the time and if on AC, just runs and runs and runs with the lid closed and gets really hot and the fan makes a...
  5. Laptop wakes from sleep - help!

Laptop wakes from sleep - help!: I've been trying to figure this out for such a long time and I'm losing my mind. The short version is that my computer, like my kid, seems to wake up from sleep all the time and if on AC, just runs and runs and runs with the lid closed and gets really hot and the fan makes a...
  6. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  7. Laptop waking up from sleep

Laptop waking up from sleep: I'm using windows 10 pro on a gigabyte aero-15-x9. I checked whether there are any active wake timers in cmd using powercfg -waketimers and it says there are no active wake timers, and I also disabled wake timers in the power config. However, my laptop still turns on while...
  8. BSOD on waking laptop from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on waking laptop from sleep: Attached is the file from DM collector. My laptop occasionally BSOD when I wake it from sleep. Hopefully someone has any ideas as to why. Thanks in advance *Smile Attachment 115619 73833
  9. BSOD On Laptop Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD On Laptop Waking From Sleep: Hi, Recently, whenever I wake my laptop up from sleep (from closing the lid and then opening it again), sometimes I get a BSOD. I think it started when I updated the Intel graphics driver, so I've booted into safe mode, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, and I...
  10. Laptop occasionally not waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop occasionally not waking from sleep: Hi there. I first apologise as this doesn't apply to my current computer specs but to my friend's laptop. His laptop however is also a Toshiba Satellite and also has Windows 10 Home 64bit. What seems to happen is when he closes the lid on his laptop his laptop sleeps...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual machine platform cause not waking from sleep