Windows 10: WSUS Manual Entry

Discus and support WSUS Manual Entry in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Odd question for MS Experts. I have a WSUS environment, and 99% of my servers report to it. This makes it very useful as a list of servers and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BlankMonkey, Sep 2, 2020.

1. WSUS Manual Entry

Odd question for MS Experts.

I have a WSUS environment, and 99% of my servers report to it. This makes it very useful as a list of servers and workstations. But there are 1% of our servers that are in the DMZ or off network. I want to use the list of my WSUS computers to know what computers need to be patched, so they don't get forgotten.

These 1% never have to actually talk to WSUS, just appear in the list of computers so a human knows they exist.

How can I manually add a computer to the WSUS Server?

Can I manually manipulate the DB Full SQL, and if so, how?

:)

BlankMonkey, Sep 2, 2020
  2. Lackó Win User

Windows 10 x64 bulid update 2004 for WSUS error

Lás

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to ask for your help regarding WSUS bulid update error. We have a business environment with 350 clients running various desktops like Windows 10 Pro X64 OS, with update management provided by WSUS. We want to upgrade our machines to the 2004
    build, however for more than 250 machines, this runs into errors.

The error message is "0x800705b4". By manually running the upgrade on a desktop, it will be updated to 2004 without any problems.

In the case of 50-60 machines, it was also installed from WSUS, although machines with the same type and the same program environment.

May I ask your advise that there may be some history update that is absolutely necessary before the 2004 bulid update,

or perhaps for older bulilds, this can only be done in step by steps.

Should the OS of the server running WSUS be newer than 2012?

We welcome any suggestions that may be a central solution to the problem.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Yours sincerely,

László

Lackó, Sep 2, 2020
  3. qubit Win User
    The WSUS support thread

I'll see if I can look at my setup later and help you out. *Smile WSUS Manual Entry :) It should be possible to go into the WSUS configuration panel and change the database that it connects to. I can't remember off the top of my head.

In the meantime, you might want to look at the Microsoft manual that I pointed to in my OP, for a faster resolution.

EDIT: I looked at the WSUS configuration (Options) window, but there doesn't seem to be a way of changing the database connection there. It might be a case of having to reinstall it each time, or doing it a different way. More digging is going to be required. *Smile WSUS Manual Entry :)

qubit, Sep 2, 2020
  4. qubit Win User

WSUS Manual Entry

The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool WSUS Manual Entry :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

WSUS Manual Entry WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

WSUS Manual Entry WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile WSUS Manual Entry :)

WSUS Manual Entry WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

WSUS Manual Entry WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

WSUS Manual Entry WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Sep 2, 2020
Thema:

WSUS Manual Entry

1. WSUS Manual Entry - Similar Threads - WSUS Manual Entry

2. Replicate WSUS 2012 to WSUS 2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replicate WSUS 2012 to WSUS 2022: I'm migrating a single WSUS 2012 R2 server to WSUS 2022. I've prepared the environment and set the 2022 server as a replica. All update content and groups have replicated except for computers, I see a message saying "Your WSUS server currently shows that no computers are...
  3. Replicate WSUS 2012 to WSUS 2022

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Replicate WSUS 2012 to WSUS 2022: I'm migrating a single WSUS 2012 R2 server to WSUS 2022. I've prepared the environment and set the 2022 server as a replica. All update content and groups have replicated except for computers, I see a message saying "Your WSUS server currently shows that no computers are...
  4. WSUS, Laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSUS, Laptops: -Windows server 2019 Standard v1809-Trying to update laptops that are stored in a dispenser locker.-Connected to power-Lids closed-Power setting offsleep, shut down, restart-On Wifi...
  5. WSUS, Laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS, Laptops: -Windows server 2019 Standard v1809-Trying to update laptops that are stored in a dispenser locker.-Connected to power-Lids closed-Power setting offsleep, shut down, restart-On Wifi...
  6. WSUS Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS Server: Hi, I have a WSUS server Windows server 2012 r2.Some of the client windows 10 machines are showing not yet reported status.What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wsus-server/283df429-9d8c-4efb-8405-d2e1a83a1c1e
  7. WSUS Failures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS Failures: Hi AllI have a 2016 domain server that has a problem with WSUS. I have been getting an error code that consist of what I think might be with ISS.The error is WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.At...
  8. WSUS settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WSUS settings: Hi,i have wsus server 2016 is it any possibility to set up that » server will be a manager of updates, but computers will download all updates from microsoft servers? not from local WSUS server....
  9. Can we push security patches manually using or not using WSUS in Active Directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can we push security patches manually using or not using WSUS in Active Directory: Hello Guys, Looking to push Windows 10 security patches manually using WSUS service. Is it possible to push manually by using WSUS? Please let me know if any other possibilities. Thanks, Venkata....
  10. Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 constantly loosing manual DNS entries?: I bought two new Windows 10 laptops and configured the DNS to OpenDNS, primarily to limit malware. However, when I returned to the laptops the next day or even a few hours later, the DNS settings are gone, and the connection is reset to the original default setting. I...