Windows 10: WSUS policy configuration

Discus and support WSUS policy configuration in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello guys... I have a scenario where all the devices from a domain abcde.com are failing when trying to execute the "Check for Updates" button. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EDQG, Jul 13, 2021.

1. EDQG Win User

WSUS policy configuration

Hello guys... I have a scenario where all the devices from a domain abcde.com are failing when trying to execute the "Check for Updates" button. I reviewed the WindowsUpdate.log and i discover that the device is pointing to a server http://172.16.15.17:8530 , so i verified where is configured this setting, i reviewed the GPOs and is not configured there, then i reviewed GPedit.msc console and nothing configured in the Local Policies.So i reviewed the registry and i can see that this setting is there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > Window

:)

2. WSUS

Hey guys , am having a question if anyone can help

How to configure when the client pc 's download update from the WSUS cuz in the group policy configuration it is all about automatic update

ahmadmohamad2, Jul 13, 2021
  3. qubit Win User
    The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool WSUS policy configuration :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

WSUS policy configuration WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

WSUS policy configuration WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile WSUS policy configuration :)

WSUS policy configuration WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

WSUS policy configuration WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

WSUS policy configuration WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Jul 13, 2021
  4. WSUS policy configuration

Configure WSUS with Powershell

Hi Guys,<br /><br />I have managed to create a PowerShell script which configures our WSUS settings, but I am not able to figure out how I move the computer setting from "Use the Update Services console" to "Use Group Policy or registry settings on computers".<br
    /><br />Have any of you had any luck?

Peter Harslev, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

WSUS policy configuration

1. WSUS policy configuration - Similar Threads - WSUS policy configuration

2. Allow Windows Online Update with WSUS scan source policy enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Allow Windows Online Update with WSUS scan source policy enabled: For Windows 11 we configured GPOs for Windows Update as recommended by Microsoft: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/wufb-wsusSo we have just 2 GPO update settings configured for Windows 11 clients: One pointing clients to company's WSUS and one...
  3. Endpoint Configuration Audit Policy Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Endpoint Configuration Audit Policy Issue: Hello,I am having an odd issue with viewing a machine's local audit policy after it has received policy from endpoint.microsoft.com.This will work better by providing an example.... I have the following policy settings which are being deployed with a "Success" status in...
  4. Endpoint Configuration Audit Policy Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Endpoint Configuration Audit Policy Issue: Hello,I am having an odd issue with viewing a machine's local audit policy after it has received policy from endpoint.microsoft.com.This will work better by providing an example.... I have the following policy settings which are being deployed with a "Success" status in...
  5. Endpoint Configuration Audit Policy Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Not able to Configure WSUS latest patches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to Configure WSUS latest patches: Hi Team, I'm trying to install and configure WSUS on my windows Machine .I'm facing problem while post installation.it a prompting the below error Log file is located at C:\Users\Vemula.Kumar\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp7E96.tmp Post install is starting Fatal Error: Failed to...
  7. Need help with configured update policies.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with configured update policies.: So, I was logging into Microsoft 365 and I guess I ended up letting it take control of my policies, I am not to sure why I clicked it, but I did, dumb move on my part. After doing this it updated automatically without any notification. When I go to update and security it says...
  8. Configure Update Policies

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configure Update Policies: Windows Update displays this message *Some settings are managed by your organisation View configured update policies I have Windows 10 Home & am not enrolled in Windows Insider Programme Policies set by : Mobile Device Management - and these links to info...
  9. Install now button grayed out, group policy settings, wsus

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install now button grayed out, group policy settings, wsus: Hi, everyone! Following the rule that a picture is worth a thousand words I'm attaching one to best describe my problem. There's a WSUS operational and I'm attaching the group policy settings as well. Which of these settings forbids immediate installation? 96508
  10. View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10: How to: View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10 How to View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10 When you see red (light theme) or yellow (dark theme) "Some settings are managed by your organization" text displayed on Windows Update, it typically means a...