Windows 10: WTF happened to "Open With"?

Discus and support WTF happened to "Open With"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; EDIT: Figured it out, I need to go into the properties menu to set this up now. That kind of sucks as I'd rather just have a context menu drop down... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Contrabardus, Dec 12, 2015.

1. WTF happened to "Open With"?

EDIT: Figured it out, I need to go into the properties menu to set this up now. That kind of sucks as I'd rather just have a context menu drop down from right click, but it'll do for now. Gonna E-mail Microsoft later to complain about this pointless change. I know it probably won't do any good, but it will make me feel better.

It doesn't work anymore.

I right click on an odd filetype, usually a text based format such as .ini or .cfg in this case, the top selection on the right click list says "Open With" in bold letters, but I never have any opportunity to choose what program to associate the file with. None of the options allow for it, I just get dumped on a file identifier website or end up in useless 'help' menus that don't do anything useful. I don't need a new program, I just need to be able to associate the file type with notepad.

Usually all I want to do is open the file with notepad as I'm editing config files and such in video games for modding purposes. I used to be able to right click, go to "open with" and then select which program I wanted to use to open the file. This was a simple and intuitive process, and now it seems to be missing since the last update.

The option to choose what file to open the file with is just not there anymore and it's super frustrating as I do a lot of this type of editing.

I know I can open notepad and navigate to the file and do things that way, but I shouldn't have to do that. There's no good reason for this feature to be suddenly gone.

Any ideas about what to do here or a workaround so that I don't have to open notepad and navigate through the file system all the way to the stupid file I want to open?

:)

Contrabardus, Dec 12, 2015

2. Undo New Folder Complete WTF Happened to My Files?

I got some files/photos off my phone and put them into a New Folder. As I went to copy over other files some said replace and gave no other option but to skip or replace and no way to verify if the ones I replaced would be the same ones, but I figured they
    must be so I did that. Now on a normal transfer you get the Undo Move option - why the hell wasn't it there? Looking for it I accidentally clicked Undo New Folder and discovered to my absolute horror that ALL my photos disappeared - no recycle bin, no restoration
    to the phone, nada, zip, zilch. Now I would think that this would be something that SHOULD have not been an issue as it didn't even ask me if this was an action I wanted to do. So..... is this where I get told I can kiss my files/photos goodbye or will I actually
    get someone with some working knowledge who will actually help me find out where the hell these files went and help me retrieve them as I am struggling to understand WHY this is screw up is not yet fixed when - as I saw when I Googled it is a rather common
    occurrence. It makes me wonder when we can expect to see a lawsuit in suing for lost/damaged property that was the responsibility of Microsoft in their capacity to ensure their product works efficiently enough that screw ups like this don't happen and are
    FIXED and property restored.

So the question is - where the hell are my files and how can I get them back, because these were important and I want them back now.

telekinatis, Dec 12, 2015
  3. John Vil Win User
    Undo New Folder Complete WTF Happened to My Files?

Hi,

For us to better assist you and provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, we would like to ask a few more information. Kindly answer the questions below:

• What is the make and model of your phone?
    • What operating system is it running on?

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Dec 12, 2015
  4. WTF happened to "Open With"?

Shift or Ctrl with right click?

nigelmercier, Dec 13, 2015
  5. AndreyT Win User
    Precisely.

That's strange. In my case clicking on "Open with..." immediately opens a universal-style dialog window that says "How do you want to open this file?"

WTF happened to "Open With"? [​IMG]

The window allows me to choose the program. This is basically the same window we used to get pre-Windows 10, but reworked into the new universal-style GUI.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

WTF happened to "Open With"?

1. WTF happened to "Open With"? - Similar Threads - WTF happened Open

2. wtf

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wtf: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/kp3aug7v53y71.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=ed480f7aa83c0ccf43c2d7e1724ac9c25f55fcb4 submitted by /u/ARA-v2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/qofd1x/wtf/
  3. Had to share a GINORMOUS WTF JUST HAPPENED

in Windows 10 Support
    Had to share a GINORMOUS WTF JUST HAPPENED: The issue has resolved itself but if anyone has a clue what happened based on the description -- I'm all ears. I have a Lenovo that acts as a kitchen TV. Last night I was streaming THE OFFICE off of an admittedly 'risky' site. (This laptop is 'expendable' in that there's no...
  4. lol wtf happened? update problem

lol wtf happened? update problem: [ATTACH] this happened after rebooting because of updates https://preview.redd.it/jl8f4nodk6w51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=e41fb2880b4d27571a2b7198ff8a13ae17b5f47e submitted by /u/funky-monk91 [link] [comments]...
  5. Wtf just happened to my pc.

Wtf just happened to my pc.: So I was just playing some GTA 5 on my xbox and got bored of it so I got on my computer to play minecraft. My computer was already on and the launcher was already open so I just click play and wait for it to load. I got loaded in, go to the multiplayer tab, and click on a...
  6. Wtf is wrong with this?

Wtf is wrong with this?: [IMG] submitted by /u/pluto4749 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gbkaf9/wtf_is_wrong_with_this/
  7. Am WTF is this ?

Am WTF is this ?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Black_s23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh522s/am_wtf_is_this/
  8. WTF Microsoft

WTF Microsoft: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Kacu5610 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eepab5/wtf_microsoft/
  9. WTF are these and why this File and or Folder Access restriction happen?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WTF are these and why this File and or Folder Access restriction happen?: WTF are these and why this File and or Folder Access restriction happen - My computer, My HDDs, My Files and Folders - Who the hell is OS to deny access to some or the other file or folder every now and then ? See the end of this message for details on invoking...
  10. WTF just happened?!

in Windows 10 Support
    WTF just happened?!: I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 about 4 days before it expired - July 26th, if I recall. There have been a few problems along the way, but everything was working when I left for school tonight. I came back and the screen was dark and unresponsive. I usually have my PC...