Windows 10: WU installed the wrong soundblaster driver - card no longer works

Discus and support WU installed the wrong soundblaster driver - card no longer works in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Soundblaster Z series card for use with Cubase. Today there was no sound. I looked in device manager and it was listed as a different card -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by badcrc, Nov 23, 2017.

1. badcrc Win User

WU installed the wrong soundblaster driver - card no longer works

I have a Soundblaster Z series card for use with Cubase. Today there was no sound. I looked in device manager and it was listed as a different card - Recon3D. Updates confirmed the wrong driver had been installed today.

I've uninstalled + reinstalled the card about 10 times today using the SB installer, manually in device manager, using Revo etc (all with restarts) and nothing will make the card operate. I've tried different PCI-e. The card either reverts to thinking its the Recon3D or shows as SB-Z but doesn't work - I get the message 'the current selected audio device is disabled, not present, not supported by the application or has unplugged jack connections'. I also tried a system restore but still zilch.

While I was doing the above, I disabled auto driver updates in gpedit - to no avail.

The Creative forum says this is a common problem. Creative say it's a WU issue. Either way I can't play my keyboard.

A Windows 10 reinstall would be a major hassle. Any ideas ?

:)

badcrc, Nov 23, 2017

2. Cannot bar a specific driver (that crashes a Win10 Pro x64 pc) from getting installed via Windows Update

There is a specific driver that is to not be installed on a specific Win10 Pro x64 laptop. This driver is for a discrete GPU that is deactivated in Device Manager and no longer working (in a refurbished pc). Every time this driver gets installed, said pc
    crashes. Other than that, WU works smoothly. The wushowhide app was used to prevent this driver from getting installed; however, WU respects this setting for a few hours only — after that, the not-to-be-installed driver gets eventually installed
    by WU. And, of course, a crash-loop ensues. I'm therefore asking how to make Windows 10 and WU ignore that driver
    for ever. How can this be done?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Sakis Serafeim, Nov 23, 2017
  3. windows audio service is not responding AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

Hi

From your information it appears that you are trying to install a Soundblaster driver from Creative.com for a SoundBlaster audio card? (File Name : SBRP_CD_L13_1_02_03.exe)

The Onboard audio chip for the Gigabyte Motherboard requires a special driver from Gigabyte.

G1.Sniper 5 - Support & Downloads: Creative Audio driver -
    RC1.11

G1.Sniper 5 (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Nov 23, 2017
  4. WU installed the wrong soundblaster driver - card no longer works

I would go to settings an choose go back to previous version of Windows and see if that fixes it, but you only have 10 days to do that I think. I had a few problems with the latest WU 1709 I believe and reverted back to 1703.

mfmathis75, Nov 23, 2017
  5. badcrc Win User
    I decided to install the Soundblaster card (and Cubase etc) in a different pc, and everything works fine - showing that the card wasn't faulty, it was a Windows driver update problem. It seems that once the wrong driver has given the SB card a different ID, it sticks and even uninstalling the wrong driver doesn't fix it. According to the Creative forum, this SB + WU problem has been around for a few years, but Microsoft haven't addressed the issue.

Weekly Macrium backups from now on.

badcrc, Nov 23, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Yep....this started back in windows 8/8.1. I experienced this with AMD driver for my XFX AMD 6970D. It would install the windows generic 1.0 driver and would kill my sound.

Plankton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

WU installed the wrong soundblaster driver - card no longer works

1. WU installed the wrong soundblaster driver - card no longer works - Similar Threads - installed wrong soundblaster

2. My graphics card's drivers are installed wrong

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My graphics card's drivers are installed wrong: I had gotten an error on my graphics card saying i need to further install my drivers, I went to the device manager and clicked on my GTX 1070 TI and installed Generic PhP monitor drivers on my graphics card. Afther that my monitor wont work, but after removing the graphics...
  3. My graphics card's drivers are installed wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My graphics card's drivers are installed wrong: I had gotten an error on my graphics card saying i need to further install my drivers, I went to the device manager and clicked on my GTX 1070 TI and installed Generic PhP monitor drivers on my graphics card. Afther that my monitor wont work, but after removing the graphics...
  4. My graphics card's drivers are installed wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSODs ¿Soundblaster drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSODs ¿Soundblaster drivers?: Just now one year ago I had problems with the external Creative Soundblaster soundcard drivers of my PC quite old drivers and not designed for Windows 10 .With the invaluable help of DaveM121 the problem was solved. Post:...
  6. BSODs ¿Soundblaster drivers?

BSODs ¿Soundblaster drivers?: Just now one year ago I had problems with the external Creative Soundblaster soundcard drivers of my PC quite old drivers and not designed for Windows 10 .With the invaluable help of DaveM121 the problem was solved. Post:...
  7. BSODs ¿Soundblaster drivers?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. SoundBlaster Z card and Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SoundBlaster Z card and Windows 11: I have a Dell Dimension XPS8940 with 64 GB of Ram and an Intel i9 11th Gen 16 core CPU running Windows 11 Pro with all updates installed. I installed a SoundBlaster Z card using the latest Creative driver 6.0.102.78 dated 1/17/22. It is driving an Onn 2.1 soundbar. The audio...
  9. SoundBlaster Z card and Windows 11

SoundBlaster Z card and Windows 11: I have a Dell Dimension XPS8940 with 64 GB of Ram and an Intel i9 11th Gen 16 core CPU running Windows 11 Pro with all updates installed. I installed a SoundBlaster Z card using the latest Creative driver 6.0.102.78 dated 1/17/22. It is driving an Onn 2.1 soundbar. The audio...
  10. 'Wrong' Nic Card driver

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'Wrong' Nic Card driver: Hi Guys I'm not sure what to do about this, whether to leave it as is and use the driver Windows thinks I should use or some how use the driver for the nic card I actually bought. The manufacturer appears not to have a Windows 10 driver and the one listed on their...