Windows 10: X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show?

Discus and support X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RickmWF, Feb 8, 2020.

1. RickmWF Win User

X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show?

X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show?

:)

RickmWF, Feb 8, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

Battery icon shows 255% even when battery not installed

HP dv-6c63NR Laptop. Recently (not sure when it started), the battery icon in the System Tray show 255% charge when the battery is installed or removed. I've rebooted multiple times and just finished a reset. Nothing changes, still shows 255% charge.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this?

It was okay a week or two ago.

This laptop is in the Insider Fast stream and currently has 1903 18362.1. I could install a non-insider build on my 2nd HDD (I have a 500GB SSD boot and a 500GB HDD 2nd drive) as a test.

Ztruker, Feb 8, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Battery icon shows 255% even when battery not installed

As 255% is FF (hex) - all 1's - suggests a certain kind of bug...

If you have a live boot disk, that should prove it's not hardware related.

You could also try a 3rd party battery monitoring program, but if that reads the same buggy info from the OS, might give garbage too.

Similar here, resolved:
    Battery shows 255% - how is that possible when 100 is the max?? | AVForums

dalchina, Feb 8, 2020
  4. X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show?

Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show? pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

1. X in the battery box and says it's charging 255%? I cant get the battery meter to show? - Similar Threads - battery box says

2. Battery showing white X and not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery showing white X and not charging: I have asked this same question before but the answer did not fix my issue. My laptop is about 2-3 years old and I got it from Canada where it worked properly. We moved to SriLanka and the battery now shows this,Please help resolve my issue. I have a feeling its a problem in...
  3. BATTERY LEVEL SAYS 255%

in Windows 10 Customization
    BATTERY LEVEL SAYS 255%: I just updated to the most current version of Windows 10. The battery level indicator says "255% available plugged in...but when I click on the icon, the pop up shows the battery 100% charged But, when I unplug the power adapter, the laptop shuts down immediately...so...
  4. laptop battery showing 255% charged and not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    laptop battery showing 255% charged and not working: hi my laptops doesnt boot up if it is not plugged in for 7 months now it always says plugged in not charging today it says charging 255% availaible but if u clcik battery sign it says 100% available and u remove charger it turns o\ff...
  5. Windows 10 Battery 255% and NO Battery in system tray x with a new one installed, No charging.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Battery 255% and NO Battery in system tray x with a new one installed, No charging.: I have tried every fix I can find. Is Microsoft working on a fix? Last update gave me BSOD and I had to use system restore. Now stuck with a laptop which only functions when plugged in....
  6. 255% battery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    255% battery: My computer says it is at 255%while plugged in and it completely shuts off if I unplug it. How do I fix this? I barely got this computer last year?? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/255-battery/56bfb333-a7ea-4330-9bc1-f7ff8464dbc6
  7. Unplugged the Battery, now showing 255% Charge Etc.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unplugged the Battery, now showing 255% Charge Etc.: Please help! I have had to unplug my Laptop Asus battery because for some reason it didn't want to boot up and then plugged it in again after a while. Thankfully, now it works again. Now, unfortunately, my battery indicator says the following: When the charger is...
  8. my laptop battery meter shows "255% available plugged in" without battery insert and "1%...

my laptop battery meter shows "255% available plugged in" without battery insert and "1%...: hi experts, im using ASUS GL552VX vrsion 1903, -my concern is about my battery meter. it happened recently cant remember why -my battery wont charged if i insert it giving me hard time to use my laptop portably without electric source. -its shows 255% availableplugged in...
  9. 255% on battery?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    255% on battery?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AahYush [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/exnqte/255_on_battery/
  10. battery says that 255% battery available (plugged in)

battery says that 255% battery available (plugged in): I have problem with Windows 10 I used Windows 10 PRO 1909 version in my laptop ASUS ROG GL753vd drivers are updated battery says that "255% battery avaiable (plugged in).WHAT IS THAT????When unplugged laptop is off suddenly.Windows 10 destroyed my laptop and its battery.I...