Windows 10: x265 HEVC Video not playing or thumbnails

Discus and support x265 HEVC Video not playing or thumbnails in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My desktop PC (64bit Windows10 home) will not play HEVC videos with the default player, I just get a blank screen but can hear the audio. When... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jon Doe, May 10, 2017.

1. Jon Doe Win User

x265 HEVC Video not playing or thumbnails

Hi,
    My desktop PC (64bit Windows10 home) will not play HEVC videos with the default player, I just get a blank screen but can hear the audio. When viewing the files folder I just get the program icon and not a thumbnail. I assumed HEVC was not supported but trying the same files on another Windows10 laptop and they work fine.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

JD

:)

Jon Doe, May 10, 2017
  2. James3A Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

Issue is and is not resolved.

Tried the following:

When googled for similar situation, someone said to update VLC. Did that and it didn't make a difference.

@Sam mentioned it may be trying to create icon thumbnails (not the generic ones, like the VLC cone, but an actual picture like an album cover title). This makes some sense because if the video is not x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p, I do get thumbnail images. It makes
    me think that whatever code Microsoft uses to grab a snapshot/title out of the video file when you display a video directory, it doesn't know how to find it in an x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p file. If this is the case, Microsoft needs to do an update on the code
    because there are going to be a lot more x265/hevc and 10bit/hi10p now that 4k/UHD is taking off.

Doesn't matter if I have one x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p file in a directory or hundreds or mixed with x264, still get the issue.

I followed the link @Sam gave but it was not clear how to turn off the thumbnail image creation process. I actually found it in File Explorer Options under View tab: check box next to "Always show icons, never thumbnails". THIS WORKED!

BUT - I want thumbnails. So do I tolerate File Managers sluggish-ness with x265/hevc or 10bit/hi10p files so I can have thumbs everywhere else or do I disable thumbs for everything???

Still looking for an solution without needing to disable thumbnails.

Thanks.

James3A, May 10, 2017
  3. James3A Win User
    Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

Looks like Microsoft may have resolved the problem in the latest update, 1709, also called the Fall Creators Update. I did not install Icaros like some of you did or disable thumbnails, I stubbornly preferred MS to resolve the issue. I am pretty sure I did
    not install anything else that would have sped up moving HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos or speeding up folder views of HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos.

It was suspected that it had to do with thumbnail generation and that MS didn't update the process to recognize HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit videos in mp4 or mkv containers. This caused "COM Surrogate" to start eating large amounts of CPU usage. "COM
    Surrogate" is the process that extracts the thumbnails for videos and pictures.

It is possible that this process was updated to include recognition of these files, but no developer from Microsoft has come forward to confirm this.

All I can say, is that the issue has been resolved for me and I believe it came from the Fall Creators Update, 1709.

James3A, May 10, 2017
  4. PJLLB Win User

Do the two devices have the same video card? That could explain why one plays the HEVC file and the other does not.

PJLLB, May 10, 2017
  5. Jon Doe Win User
    Thanks for the reply.
    I doubt they have the same video card.
    VLC plays HEVC's on both machines without a problem. I wouldn't have thought the video card would effect the thumbnails? From what I have been reading, x265 (HEVC) is normally software decoded (x264 is often hardware decoded).

Cheers
    JD

Jon Doe, May 10, 2017
  6. klcp Win User
    The default player only plays HEVC if your system contains a GPU with HEVC hardware acceleration capabilities. It is probably for licensing reasons.

klcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. x265 HEVC Video not playing or thumbnails - Similar Threads - x265 HEVC Video

2. does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?: Hello everyone, I just bought a samsung S23 phone and the video has changed to HEVC, I got it working finally by downloading codecs and vlc player etc although I prefer WMP when I have the choice anyway, there is an app in the microsoft store that claims to work too, but it...
  3. does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?: Hello everyone, I just bought a samsung S23 phone and the video has changed to HEVC, I got it working finally by downloading codecs and vlc player etc although I prefer WMP when I have the choice anyway, there is an app in the microsoft store that claims to work too, but it...
  4. does the HEVC extension app by microsoft make HEVC video thumbnails work?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. x265 video file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    x265 video file: Hello all Accounts & community Microsoft.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalsystem computer Cpu = i5-7400Ram 16Gssd=120GVGA=GT 1030 asusThank you for...
  6. x265 video file For com surrogate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    x265 video file For com surrogate: Hello all Accounts & community.I only use x265 video file, this problem occurs & It slows down the systemall files cannot be viewedIf the x265 file is not in the computer, everything is normalThank you for your time...
  7. HEVC Video Extensions makes videos play choppy/jittery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC Video Extensions makes videos play choppy/jittery: Hello! I'm having issues with jittery/choppy videos especially on YouTube that I have isolated to be caused by the app mentioned in the title.I first noticed the issue several months ago while running Windows 10 I have Intel i9-11900H and NVIDIA RTX 3080 laptop. After I...
  8. HEVC Video Extensions makes videos play choppy/jittery

HEVC Video Extensions makes videos play choppy/jittery: Hello! I'm having issues with jittery/choppy videos especially on YouTube that I have isolated to be caused by the app mentioned in the title.I first noticed the issue several months ago while running Windows 10 I have Intel i9-11900H and NVIDIA RTX 3080 laptop. After I...
  9. HEVC Video

HEVC Video: Hello, When I attempt to open HEVC video on my Surface Book 3 i7, 16gb RAM, Intel Iris plus graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti w max-q in the movies/tv app I am met with the error code 0x800700aa and told to come speak to you wonderful people. Other threads in this...
  10. HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc)

HEVC / X265 re-rip video (4K etc): Hi there quick question for Video gurus out there I've a load of X-264 mkv 1080p files (approx. 2GB) each . In preparation for new 4K transmissions etc I want to convert everything to the new HEVC X-265 standard (VLC plays it fine) which makes the files a LOT smaller -...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to have thumbnails for hevc