Windows 10: Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter

Discus and support Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, i've found a bug that causes the xbox app to stutter for roughly half a second when scrolling up and down. When the stutter occurs, latencymon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by fluidz2k17, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter

Hi, i've found a bug that causes the xbox app to stutter for roughly half a second when scrolling up and down. When the stutter occurs, latencymon shows a spike from nvlddmkm.sys to around 800us. I have my 2080ti set to prefer maximum performance, which keeps the clocks at 1350mhz/1750mhz, so this rules out the issue being caused by gpu boost.

Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter b0e30e0f-12a3-4fbe-842e-1320ff783552?upload=true.gif

How to reproduce :

- Open the Xbox gaming app

- Place your mouse cursor over any thumbnail that plays video when hovering over it, there is no need to let the video play

- Scroll up and down, ensuring your mouse cursor passes over the thumnail which has embedded video playback

Does the screen sometimes stick when scrolling up and down pauses for a brief moment? Observing the Xbox process in task manager, I found a brief stutter occurs when the gpu temporarily switches between 3d and video decoding. This happens even if the video in the thumbnail isn't given enough time to play. To prevent the stutter from happening I can either move the cursor out the way of the thumnails and scroll from the side, alternatively I can scroll using the scroll bar.

Here's a short video of the issue I used my phone camera to record. You can see a freeze happen at 00:21. If this isn't fixable on the gpu driver side, I guess an easy solution would be to increase the delay before the video plays, giving enough time so that scrolling the page quickly with the cursor over a video thumnail doesn't trigger video playback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK0KkKGO_X4&feature=emb_title

System spec :

Motherboard : Msi b450 Mortar Max latest bios

Cpu : Amd Ryzen 5800x

Gpu : Nvidia 2080ti

Ram : 16gb ddr4

Storage : Crucial ssd

Monitor : Acer xb271hu, set to 144hz

:)

fluidz2k17, Jan 9, 2021

2. No Video Playback

Hi,

There are several factors that may cause video clips not to play on Xbox App.
    It is possible that your video card drivers are not updated. To properly isolate your concern, please clarify the following information:

• Are you able to play videos using other applications on your PC?
    • Have you tried to check if offline videos are playing on your PC?
    • Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?

In the meantime, you may perform the suggested steps under Troubleshooting video or display problems
    on this
    link
    to resolve the issue.

If you need further assistance, you may reply to this post anytime.

Loraine Mon, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Siape Win User
    Game stutters when NOT recording with Xbox app

when I play League of Legends, the game stutters every other seconds, but the FPS shown in the game is normal at 60.

I have tried disabling Xbox Game DVR but the problem still persisted.

It only stops stuttering when I start recording the game via Xbox app.

Does anyone else have this problem or has any suggestions to solving this problem?

Siape, Jan 9, 2021
  4. Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter

No Video Playback

First understand my problem........I cannot play videos online in the xbox live and Microsoft Tips. It displays UNSUPPORTED FILE TYPE OR INVALID FILE PATH.Do I have to install any plugin or drivers?

JoesCathbert, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter

1. Xbox app - Thumbnail video playback starting too soon causing a stutter - Similar Threads - Xbox app Thumbnail

2. HEVC video has stuttered playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HEVC video has stuttered playback: The problem persists for more than 2 years. It was in Windows 10, now it successfully migrated to the new Windows 11. Any video encoded in HEVC has stuttering playback like 10 frames play forward, then 5 goes back and the solution of this obviously awful codec error have not...
  3. HEVC video has stuttered playback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC video has stuttered playback: The problem persists for more than 2 years. It was in Windows 10, now it successfully migrated to the new Windows 11. Any video encoded in HEVC has stuttering playback like 10 frames play forward, then 5 goes back and the solution of this obviously awful codec error have not...
  4. Xbox controller causing stutter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox controller causing stutter: Has anyone found a fix for this yet this problem seems to have been going on for years now and I have never seen a fix. I have tried everything I have found online and nothing works. Connected controller with usb, bluetooth, and windows own adapter. Nothing I have turned...
  5. Windows 10 Photos App - Video stuttering in playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Photos App - Video stuttering in playback: Everytime I play a video in Window's native Photo's app the video stutters. I play it on Window's native movie app the video plays fine. Is this a Photo app issue or something else? This is a new computer I just bought 2 weeks ago. First windows laptop after 10 years with...
  6. Stuttering video playback on iTunes for Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Stuttering video playback on iTunes for Windows 10: Stuttered and unwatchable video playback. No issues with my music files. I have a brand new Acer Aspire 3 laptop ie no malware running Windows 10. i have uninstalled and re-installed iTunes 12.10.8.2 really painful process I do not want to do this again!. I have experimented...
  7. MOV video playback too fast

in Windows 10 Customization
    MOV video playback too fast: I have a new HP laptop with Windows 10. I'm trying to playback a MOV video I took. It plays too fast, audio and video. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mov-video-playback-too-fast/b151f9aa-7098-496c-a5c1-8fda37c36673
  8. Stuttering Video Playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stuttering Video Playback: I have a PC Laptop with Windows 10. Since the most recent update in November, my videos have not played smoothly, instead they start and stop constantly, whether it's Chrome, Firefox, the DVD player or the Netflix app. I have tried updating the apps, installing different...
  9. video playback stuttering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    video playback stuttering: video playback stuttering https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback-stuttering/db841da1-dc0c-4e93-bba9-dd619955dbbe
  10. Flash Video Causes Video Stutter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flash Video Causes Video Stutter: Running into an issue while trying to play video on HBOGo, and Xfinity Stream. Both use flash video. My issue is that it causes a system wide stutter, where the video output freezes for a brief second or two. This is obviously noticeable in the video I'm watching, but also,...