Windows 10: Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up

Discus and support Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi Guys, As above, whenever I use the Xbox Game Bar Overlay in a game, the screen flashes black momentarily before showing the overlay on top of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by supernoob 500, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up

Hi Guys,

As above, whenever I use the Xbox Game Bar Overlay in a game, the screen flashes black momentarily before showing the overlay on top of the game. For reference, the effect is similar to when you would Alt-Tab out of a game, but focus automatically switches back to the game you were in. It is as though the overlay opens up a separate window on top of the game I am playing, rather than overlaying.

The issue does not seem to be restricted to a single game, it occurs in all games. The issue is not replicated with other overlays, such as GeForce, Steam, Origin etc. The issue with Xbox Game Bar also occurs regardless of whether or not other overlays are enabled or disabled whilst using the game bar overlay. I have also tried resetting and repairing the Game Bar app, as well as closing the task through Task Manager

I can't verify *exactly* when the issue began, but it has been noticed for about 3 days or so, perhaps since I last updated my system. I can't be sure that the issue has only occurred since the update, but this is a possibility.

At best, the issue is annoying as it causes a momentary shift in window focus every time the overlay is opened or I receive a notification pop-up such as an achievement, invite or someone joining the party. At it's worst, in some games the issue causes a persistent black screen and a non-responsive game, often to the point where I need to restart the entire system in order to be able to do anything.

I spoke to support, and the advisor suggested it's something the support/technical staff are looking at, with the issue likely being something that needs to be resolved via update. I can't see any updates after checking in Windows Update settings, so I think this may not have been done.

I noticed a similar issue to do with HDR on other forum posts, but I don't think that applies in this situation as HDR is disabled and the issue was reported as resolved.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a solution or anything I can do?

TL;DR: Using any feature of the Xbox Game Bar Overlay causes 'focus' to shift in a similar way to alt-tabbing, which causes annoyance in some games, but game breaking issues in others. The issue persists across a number of circumstances as above.

:)

supernoob 500, Dec 4, 2020
  2. NFSJAY Win User

Recorded gameplay using Xbox Game Bar only shows black screen with audio?

I am on the apps list but I do not see "Game Bar". Is it equivalent to Xbox Gaming Overlay?

NFSJAY, Dec 4, 2020
  3. devix2 Win User
    Xbox game bar opens on its own

I have a problem with the Xbox game overlay (the menu that is opened with Win+G). When doing anything on my pc it randomly opens (it's not too frequent, but very annoying as it can prevent you from acting in a game). I had the problem on my old HDD, and
    i thought reinstalling windows would have fixed it, but now that i have installed it on my new SSD (same rig otherwise) the problem persists. The only fix i found so far is to completely disable the game bar, which is annoying as it prevents invitation on
    the xbox game app.

Any suggestions?

devix2, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up

Prevent Xbox Game Bar popping up when opening applications

The Xbox Game Bar keeps popping up when opening certain applications:

Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up epUsb.png

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Răzvan Flavius Panda, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up

1. Xbox Game Bar PC Black Screen When Opening Overlay/Notification Pop Up - Similar Threads - Xbox Game Bar

2. Notifications Delayed on Xbox Game Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notifications Delayed on Xbox Game Bar: My notifications are delayed or just don't appear when my friends invite to a party, message me, or invite me to a game. It's been doing this for a couple days now, and it's bugging me. I get the notifications on my phone, not my pc though. I have notifications on on Xbox...
  3. Notifications Delayed on Xbox Game Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notifications Delayed on Xbox Game Bar: My notifications are delayed or just don't appear when my friends invite to a party, message me, or invite me to a game. It's been doing this for a couple days now, and it's bugging me. I get the notifications on my phone, not my pc though. I have notifications on on Xbox...
  4. Xbox Game Bar freezing when opening.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Bar freezing when opening.: Recently my Xbox Game Bar app has started freezing when I open it either in game or just on my desktop. It opens for about 30 seconds and in that time I can't navigate it or even close it. It closes by itself after about 30 seconds. I've tried the repair and reset options but...
  5. Xbox Game Bar freezing when opening.

Xbox Game Bar freezing when opening.: Recently my Xbox Game Bar app has started freezing when I open it either in game or just on my desktop. It opens for about 30 seconds and in that time I can't navigate it or even close it. It closes by itself after about 30 seconds. I've tried the repair and reset options but...
  6. Xbox Game Bar open on your PC when sign in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Xbox Game Bar open on your PC when sign in: Xbox Game Bar was Open on few staff computers when they log in today. I some computers cause freezing the Windows. Is there a specific reason? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xbox-game-bar-open-on-your-pc-when-sign-in/d2dea0f4-7cc8-4d15-bd11-c4254ef91bf1
  7. Can't Open XBox Game Bar on PC

Can't Open XBox Game Bar on PC: Hi All I have Windows 10 Pro and I can't open the Game Bar. I'm pressing Win+G to open, but nothing happens. Even if I go to Start and click XBox Game Bar the program just doesn't load. Any ideas of where to start to rectify this please? Many thanks, Kevin...
  8. Xbox game bar screen background is black when taking a picture

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Xbox game bar screen background is black when taking a picture: [ATTACH] I recently updated to Windows 10 2004 and when taking a picture ready for a May 2020 update question on Xbox Game Bar, the screen is black. This means that there are some limitations in Game Bar then Bandicam my screen recorder has....
  9. xbox game bar overlay question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    xbox game bar overlay question: when running any game it says my gpu is at 95-100 percent the whole time, now i know this isnt the case because checking task manager and other apps its only saying 45-50% where is it getting this number? submitted by /u/putnamto [link] [comments]...
  10. Xbox game bar records as a black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox game bar records as a black screen: Half of the time when I am recording footage for a game (overwatch), the recording turns out to be a black screen when I view the mp4 file. I have looked at other forum posts on this, and it seems that this problem is largely unresolved for many people....