Windows 10: XBOX One Controller only works with one USB Cable

Discus and support XBOX One Controller only works with one USB Cable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I play a few games on my Windows 10 machine with an XBOX one controller. I usually have the same cable plugged into the controller, and unplug it from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JPP6, Jan 9, 2020.

1. JPP6 Win User

XBOX One Controller only works with one USB Cable

I play a few games on my Windows 10 machine with an XBOX one controller. I usually have the same cable plugged into the controller, and unplug it from the machine occasionally when I need to free up a port.

Well the other day I wanted to charge my tablet so I grabbed the USB Cable that I use for my controller since it was the closest one, plugged it into the power only usb port of a hub I have connected to my computer, and charged the tablet. Apparently that is not allowed because now when I connect the controller with that cable it gives me a message that says "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

I tried lots of other cables, they all either display this error or simply don't read at all, except for one that works fine. The problem is that this cable is short and has a weak connection, so I play with it for now but sometimes I will tap it lightly mid game and it will become temporarily disconnected, and the game only works with controllers that are connected before it's launched, so then I immediately lose that game because I no longer have a controller. It's insanely frustrating.

What can I do to make my original Micro USB cable connect my XBOX one to my PC, or one of the dozens of other Micro USB cables I have that don't work?

:)

JPP6, Jan 9, 2020

2. Xbox One controller not working wireless - Device could not be migrated

This thread from Reddit may help you. It appears that the Xbox One controllers can utilize two drivers; Xbox One Controller, and Microsoft Xbox One Controller.

The thread has other troubleshooting steps, but the two main (and most popular/successful steps appear to be as follows)

Method 1

Method 2

Hopefully this helps. If not, there's something else awry, and other troubleshooting may be needed.

EDIT: Per the asker's request;

I'm not sure if this solved it or if it was just a weird side effect of changing the drivers version forward and backward again. When connected via USB cable it said "Xbox controller", changed that to "Xbox gaming device", unplugged the USB cable, and the wireless stuff started to work for whatever reason... No idea why!

Kaizerwolf, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Xbox one controller suddenly not working with Windows 10

Problem description:

- Xbox One controller now listed in Device Manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

- I get the following "USB device not recognized" notification when connecting Xbox One controller:

The last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Restart computer multiple times

- Try with 2 additional USB cables

- Try all 3 cables in different USB slots

- Uninstall controller in Device Manager, then reconnected controller. Devices is re-added with same error message:

"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Observations:

- When I tried plugging controller into the keyboard's built in USB sockets, it caused the keyboard and mouse to suddenly stop working and appear to power down until restart.

- This controller has never had this problem on this device in the past, and has previous worked perfectly with all 3 cables I used in testing.

Any additional troubleshooting steps you can suggest? Thanks in advance.

Nathan2014, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Ariel Acu Win User

Xbox One Controller Wired Connection Registers as Generic Controller

Hi Trey,

Using a micro-USB cable is one way on how you can connect your Xbox One Controller to a Windows 10 PC. Once connected, it will install the most current drivers needed for your controller. Regarding your concern, have you tried using another micro-USB
    cable? If not, we suggest that you uninstall first the current driver for your Xbox One Controller on your computer, restart, and then connect the controller using another USB cable.
    There's a possibility that it affects the computer to get the correct driver for your controller.

If your Xbox One Controller still treated as the generic controller, we recommend that you manually install the driver by performing the following steps:

• Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
    • Once Device Manager opens, locate and right-click Xbox One Controller.
    • From the menu choose Update Driver Software.
    • Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
    • Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
    • Locate Microsoft Xbox One Controller on the list and click
      Next
      to install it. If you can’t locate Microsoft Xbox One Controller driver, you might have to uncheck
      Show compatible hardware option.

Let us know if that works for you.

Ariel Acu, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. XBOX One Controller only works with one USB Cable - Similar Threads - XBOX Controller works

2. Xbox One controler not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox One controler not working: I have Xbox one controller that I use wired for gaming. But it is not being recognized on my Windows 11 PC anymore. I run Developer Preview buildcanary channel. PC makes sound when I plug USB in but it doesn't show up anywhere device manager, settings, etc. Xbox logo on...
  3. Xbox One controler not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox One controler not working: I have Xbox one controller that I use wired for gaming. But it is not being recognized on my Windows 11 PC anymore. I run Developer Preview buildcanary channel. PC makes sound when I plug USB in but it doesn't show up anywhere device manager, settings, etc. Xbox logo on...
  4. Xbox one Controller wont connect to Pc via USB cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox one Controller wont connect to Pc via USB cable: Hi, so i have an xbox one controller, and ive been using usb to play with my pc, but just recently it just stopped working for some reason. The controller recieves power but when i press and hold the xbox button it continues to idle, and not stay static. The drivers have been...
  5. Xbox one Controller wont connect to Pc via USB cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox one Controller wont connect to Pc via USB cable: Hi, so i have an xbox one controller, and ive been using usb to play with my pc, but just recently it just stopped working for some reason. The controller recieves power but when i press and hold the xbox button it continues to idle, and not stay static. The drivers have been...
  6. Xbox one Controller wont connect to Pc via USB cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Xbox one controller refusing to connect via cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox one controller refusing to connect via cable: So, i use my controller for pretty much all my games on pc as my aim is terrible. I had it working with the cable for a while but then all of a sudden, it stopped working by cable. It still received power but the controller didn't connect to the pc. I then used bluetooth to...
  8. Xbox One Controller not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Xbox One Controller not working: I have tried everything. It is a new controller so can anyone please help me? submitted by /u/CrushingBlowBG [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fl9h25/xbox_one_controller_not_working/
  9. Xbox one controller via Cable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Xbox one controller via Cable: Somehow my pc does not recognize my Controller the drivers are updated and it also recieves power but i can't use it submitted by /u/Bw0lf [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f9g3zz/xbox_one_controller_via_cable/
  10. Xbox One controller is not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Xbox One controller is not working: My computer running Windows 10 doesn’t recognize Xbox One controller. I plugged in an Xbox controller to the USB slot but I saw it vibrating, the lights flashing but it didn’t work. I did some troubleshooting such as running the device troubleshooter, trying to use another...