Windows 10: Xbox One S controller not working in game

Discus and support Xbox One S controller not working in game in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey everyone, was looking to see if anyone has ever had this problem with their controller. I have a Xbox One S controller that I usually use for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by funk x30, Aug 29, 2020.

1. funk x30 Win User

Xbox One S controller not working in game

Hey everyone, was looking to see if anyone has ever had this problem with their controller.

I have a Xbox One S controller that I usually use for games that require one, but as of recently it just won't work for them. I have a data transfer microusb that I use for it. It reads that I have one plugged in on Xbox accessories and gamepad testing sites, but whenever I launch a game it won't work until I close out of the game. I've tried updating the drivers in device manager and it still doesn't work. This is also any game I launch from Steam or from any other source, just no dice.

Thanks for any input.

:)

funk x30, Aug 29, 2020

2. XBox one controller stopped working in games

Hi

Up until recently my XBox One controller was working fine. Last time I player for about 30 minutes with it in Destiny 2, I think it was around a month ago or so.

Today I wanted to play a games entirely on XBox One, and had plans with my wife for it, and was very disappointed when XBox One controlled did not work. I started to dig the issue and read forums. I already spent over 2 hours trying to solve this. Here are
    some details.

Symptoms:

• I connect XBox One controller with a USB cable
    • After connecting it takes it 2-5 seconds to initialize. After that it works for 1 second, and then it stops working.
    • It always works in calibration program ("Set up USB game controllers")
    • Once it opened Game bar and worked there, but not in the game
    • In Little Nightmares if I click the XBox button (main one) the game screen slightly flashes brighter, but game won't switch to controller mode and no other buttons work
    • XBox Accessories app only recognizes it after I reboot my PC. The rest of the time it tell me that I need to connect the controller.

Steps tried:

• I tried about 5 different micro USB cables
    • I checked drivers in Device manager - they are up to date
    • I checked firmware verison XBox Accesories app tell me it is up to date
    • I tried it with other games, lik Ark, Destiny
    • I tried killing some overlay services, after killing Game bar it worked for a few seconds but then stopped working again

Please, help me. This issue totally ruined my evening.

Maybe I'm oldschool, but I'm used to such things like GAMEPADS - WORKING 24\7.

[Moved from: Windows/ Gaming on Windows 10]

MichaelDavydov, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Xbox One controller working wrong

Hi,

The issue may be related to the incompatible Xbox one controller drivers.

Please try the steps below and see if it helps:

• Press Windows key + R key. Type "devmgmt.msc" and click Enter.
    • In the Device Manager, go to > Human Interface Devices > Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class .
    • If you notice a yellow exclamation, double-click on the Xbox One Controller and go to the Driver tab, click on Update.
    • If the driver is already updated, uninstall the driver and then reinstall it.
    I would also suggest you check if the game is compatible with Windows 10.

If this doesn't help correct your issue, please contact the Xbox Support.

Xbox Forums

Results in Xbox - Microsoft Community

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Xbox One S controller not working in game

Xbox One controller not working wireless - Device could not be migrated

This thread from Reddit may help you. It appears that the Xbox One controllers can utilize two drivers; Xbox One Controller, and Microsoft Xbox One Controller.

The thread has other troubleshooting steps, but the two main (and most popular/successful steps appear to be as follows)

Method 1

Method 2

Hopefully this helps. If not, there's something else awry, and other troubleshooting may be needed.

EDIT: Per the asker's request;

I'm not sure if this solved it or if it was just a weird side effect of changing the drivers version forward and backward again. When connected via USB cable it said "Xbox controller", changed that to "Xbox gaming device", unplugged the USB cable, and the wireless stuff started to work for whatever reason... No idea why!

Kaizerwolf, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Xbox One S controller not working in game

1. Xbox One S controller not working in game - Similar Threads - Xbox controller working

2. XBOX One S Controller / PC / Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XBOX One S Controller / PC / Bluetooth: hi so my pc just stop recognizing my controller via bluetooth, the controller is fine, bluetooth is fine, i've tested them on my brother's pc and they're fine. i've tested my second controller on my pc and also fine.my pc won't recognize this specific controller. if i try to...
  3. XBOX One S Controller / PC / Bluetooth

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    XBOX One S Controller / PC / Bluetooth: hi so my pc just stop recognizing my controller via bluetooth, the controller is fine, bluetooth is fine, i've tested them on my brother's pc and they're fine. i've tested my second controller on my pc and also fine.my pc won't recognize this specific controller. if i try to...
  4. XBOX ONE S controller BT

XBOX ONE S controller BT: Hello, i have a Xbox one s controller with bluetooth and have a problem with it... i pair it to a 4.0 dongle i have and it keeps paired but 30m/1hour later it starts to lagg alot and sometimes disconnects. i'have updated the controller sofware from microsoft tools....
  5. Xbox One S controller not working in game for PC

Xbox One S controller not working in game for PC: Hey everyone, was looking to see if anyone has ever had this problem with their controller. I have a Xbox One S controller that I usually use for games that require one, but as of recently it just won't work for them. I have a data transfer microusb that I use for it. It...
  6. Win10 xbox one s controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 xbox one s controller: Hi, I have an xbox one S controller and it can't paired with my win 10 1903, while on win 10 1803 it's paired. Regards, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-xbox-one-s-controller/77057d3e-9472-4919-bec9-0a891d131eb9
  7. Xbox One S Controller Some Buttons Not Working

Xbox One S Controller Some Buttons Not Working: So my Xbox One S controller isnt working properly on my new MSI laptop, only buttons that work are LT, RT, And both of the sticks... X, Y, B, A dpad are completely unresponsive. It worked fine on my old PC. Ive tried different USB ports cables updating the drivers etc. but...
  8. xbox one controller not working in same games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbox one controller not working in same games: xbox one controller not working in same games but was only 3 days ago is there a update thats broken the compatibility with same of the games are i can no longer play dark souls 2...
  9. xbox one s controller not connecting to bluetooth

xbox one s controller not connecting to bluetooth: so I have been using my xbox on s controller on my pc for awhile, when my controller disconnects I remove the deivce and reconnect it, it normally works fine and reconnects, tho yesterday I did that same thing and went to go connect it, but now it shows up as input and not...
  10. xbox one controller not working in game

in Windows 10 Customization
    xbox one controller not working in game: I have the latest imac and downloaded windows 10 on it to play some games. I am using an xboc one wired controller that seems to work on the PC through testing and through STEAM however when I open up the game it doesn't work in game!!! the middle X button is the only button...