Windows 10: XCOPY is not copying subfolders

Discus and support XCOPY is not copying subfolders in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; XCOPY is not copying subfolders even though I am using the parameters /S /E.I'm also using /D to just update the data. I've tried using /C to ignore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobM8526, Apr 23, 2021.

1. RobM8526 Win User

XCOPY is not copying subfolders

XCOPY is not copying subfolders even though I am using the parameters /S /E.I'm also using /D to just update the data. I've tried using /C to ignore errors. And I've tried using ROBOCOPY but I can not get the subfolders copied.I've tried to contact HP, but they said it was a software issue, even though it the batch file worked on old Win7 machine and on other peoples Win10 machines.Sample command:xcopy "C:\Users\...\Documents\SystemFiles\" "D:\NewWork\SystemFiles\" /s /e /d /cROBOCOPY doesn't work either.Testing on folders without spaces was done as well.Caps were tested for the parameters.C

:)

RobM8526, Apr 23, 2021
  2. z8080 Win User

Using xcopy to extract&copy files from certain subfolders

I have some data that is systematically organised into multiple-level subfolders, and I would like to copy all files that reside under certain subfolders, which I would like to specify using regexp-like syntax.

From the Windows 10 command prompt, I tried variations of the following command:

Just to explain how I was using (perhaps incorrectly) the syntax of the command: the first * in the command indicates that I want to continue on to the next subfolder underneath, for all folders directly under the home Project folder. The *Sess1 indicates that I then want to only proceed deeper to those subfolders that end in "Sess1"; and so on...

I have tried both with copy and with xcopy, with various command flags/parameters such as /s, /i, etc; but each time I get error messages of this type:

Thanks for any help!

z8080, Apr 23, 2021
  3. jmt20 Win User
    XCopy not working on Win10

Hi,

There is a thread on this topic but it doesn't show a resolution.

Has something changed where xcopy doesn't work on Win10?

I am looking to copy files and I can't get even the simpliest .bat file to work. Copying 1 file to another folder on the C directory.

@EchoOff xcopy C:\files\test.bat C:\files-to\

Any suggestions are appreciated!

thanks,

joan

jmt20, Apr 23, 2021
  4. XCOPY is not copying subfolders

xcopy copy set-up

Can someone provide me with the xcopy setup to copy all files from drive c:\ to a Seagate Backup Drive, e.g., I mean the flags /e /s etc.? I'm forgetful and can't remember how to us xcopy. Thanks!

rgleasonjr, Apr 23, 2021
Thema:

XCOPY is not copying subfolders

1. XCOPY is not copying subfolders - Similar Threads - XCOPY copying subfolders

2. Copying method something similar to xcopy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying method something similar to xcopy?: Hi,I need to backup only new files brand new files, or files which have newer modification date.Normally, my lovely old fashion XCOPY /d /s is meeting my need 100% for many many years.But I have problem with that because of some long sub folders + file names I get in...
  3. Copying method something similar to xcopy?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying method something similar to xcopy?: Hi,I need to backup only new files brand new files, or files which have newer modification date.Normally, my lovely old fashion XCOPY /d /s is meeting my need 100% for many many years.But I have problem with that because of some long sub folders + file names I get in...
  4. Copying method something similar to xcopy?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11's robocopy Fails to copy files that XCOPY Subsequently copies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11's robocopy Fails to copy files that XCOPY Subsequently copies: I'm hitting a problem with ROBOCOPY reporting a large number of FAILED copies. It doesn't tell me which files are failed, however having repeated the copy a couple of times, anything reported as being a "New File" immediately drew my attention, and indeed when checking the...
  6. Windows 11's robocopy Fails to copy files that XCOPY Subsequently copies

Windows 11's robocopy Fails to copy files that XCOPY Subsequently copies: I'm hitting a problem with ROBOCOPY reporting a large number of FAILED copies. It doesn't tell me which files are failed, however having repeated the copy a couple of times, anything reported as being a "New File" immediately drew my attention, and indeed when checking the...
  7. xcopy not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xcopy not working: What am I doing wrong here?I want to copy c:\users\public all data into c:\users\xyz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xcopy-not-working/961e4487-9041-4ea5-8ff8-fe9720b54449
  8. xcopy not working

xcopy not working: What am I doing wrong here?I want to copy c:\users\public all data into c:\users\xyz https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xcopy-not-working/961e4487-9041-4ea5-8ff8-fe9720b54449
  9. Using Xcopy to copy NTUSER.DAT file while logged in

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using Xcopy to copy NTUSER.DAT file while logged in: Hi allJust wondering if it is possible to copy the NTUSER.DAT file via xcopy while still being logged in?I have tried although it comes up with a sharing violation error while doing so just for the DAT file. Just wanted to confirm that this can or cannot be done.thanksMV...
  10. How to copy only images files from different subfolders and keep the tree of subfolders as...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy only images files from different subfolders and keep the tree of subfolders as...: I have a folder containing 3d Objects with their thumbs, and I want only to copy thumbs to a different path but with keeping the subfolder pathes, is there any way I can do that? Note that this file has big size that I cannot duplicate it to my HD and delete the 3D files...