Windows 10: xls files

Discus and support xls files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good Day I am working from home so I transferred all documenttion from my Work Computer to a Usb but when I try to open it shows as a xls file and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LieselTruter, Nov 12, 2020.

1. xls files

Good Day

I am working from home so I transferred all documenttion from my Work Computer to a Usb but when I try to open it shows as a xls file and not exe.

I eventually got it open from my Computer but when I email the documents they can't open it

Please assist urgently

Kind Regards

Liesel Truter

:)

LieselTruter, Nov 12, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

You are supposed to double click on the entry for .xls in control Panel > Set Associations and in the window that opens choose "More Apps" then in the file explorer window that opens up browse to the Excel executable and select it.

xls files [​IMG]

xls files [​IMG]

See: Cant find Office applications in Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7? - Office Support

So launch Excel and leave it running. Start Task Manager [Ctrl+Shift+Esc]

In task manager processes tab scroll to excel.exe and right click on it. Choose "open file location" from the list and in the window that opens locate excel.exe and note the folder path. Use that path to browse to the executable in the step above that mentions browsing to the executable.

Callender, Nov 12, 2020
  3. How to make Excel 2016 the default app to open xls and xlsx data files

Thanks for the info but unfortunately when I double click NOTHING happens *Sad

dshields13, Nov 12, 2020
  4. bwg010 Win User

xls files

pin file to xls icon on taskbar

since updating to the anniversary update for Win 10, the jump list on my xls icon in the task bar will not pin a particular file.

It used to work pre the update.

Other files pin ok, but this particular one pins, but disappears after a shutdown.

The files that work are on the PC in documents.

The one that wont hold the pin is in OneDrive.

As I said, it didn't use to be a problem -- but doesn't want to stay pinned now.

Any suggestions.

Windows 10 with Office 365 (subscription so should be up to date).

bwg010, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

xls files

1. xls files - Similar Threads - xls files

2. Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019: I have a Server 2019 setup with about 1 TB in files and indexing is working, but it is missing the .xls and .xlsx file extensions in the indexing options, while it does included .doc and .docx. I have tried to add it manually, but that uses a plain text filter and that does...
  3. Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing does not support XLS and XLSX files on Server 2019: I have a Server 2019 setup with about 1 TB in files and indexing is working, but it is missing the .xls and .xlsx file extensions in the indexing options, while it does included .doc and .docx. I have tried to add it manually, but that uses a plain text filter and that does...
  4. Explorer not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except images: JPG/PNG/etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except images: JPG/PNG/etc.: NOTE: Please do not respond with the usual steps, all have already been taken. Explorer Preview Pane is not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except JPG and PNG. It does show thumbnails correctly with the first page for all file types when in icon view. I use...
  5. Explorer not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except images: JPG/PNG/etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except images: JPG/PNG/etc.: NOTE: Please do not respond with the usual steps, all have already been taken. Explorer Preview Pane is not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except JPG and PNG. It does show thumbnails correctly with the first page for all file types when in icon view. I use...
  6. Explorer not showing previews of any files PDF, DOC, XLS, txt Except images: JPG/PNG/etc.

7. Windows 11 does not search .xls files

Windows 11 does not search .xls files: Hello, I cannot get Windows Search to work with .xls files. This used to work, but something happened a short while ago that broke this functionality. All other file types seem to work correctly; this only applies to Windows Explorer searches of folders that contain .xls...
  8. Windows 11 does not search .xls files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 does not search .xls files: Hello, I cannot get Windows Search to work with .xls files. This used to work, but something happened a short while ago that broke this functionality. All other file types seem to work correctly; this only applies to Windows Explorer searches of folders that contain .xls...
  9. File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files: Hi there,I've noticed that if I change the default program to open xls and xlsx files to an open source one, like libre office, the windows file explorer does some crazy things. First ctrl+c doesnt copy the files to clipboard anymore. Second I cant select multiple files with...
  10. My all file[ pic,video,ppt,word ]are converted into xls

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My all file[ pic,video,ppt,word ]are converted into xls: my pic,video,ppt ,word,rar file are converted to xls and i am unable to open them. [ATTACH] * Moved from Win 7/Files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-all-file-picvideopptword-are-converted-into-xls/f6195786-cf41-4f03-af89-73756d2c7461