Windows 10: Xmas wrecked by Windows 10 update - No desktop

Discus and support Xmas wrecked by Windows 10 update - No desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So our Xmas was royally (insert expletives) due to Microsoft NOT enforcing a Change freeze and forcing 1809 down on our machine. We suffered a normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brozzy, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Brozzy Win User

Xmas wrecked by Windows 10 update - No desktop

So our Xmas was royally (insert expletives) due to Microsoft NOT enforcing a Change freeze and forcing 1809 down on our machine. We suffered a normal various % failures and hangs, great release team you morons have. then on Christmas Day total failure... desktop corrupt files not found and the Support from India told me that would not rebuild my machine and then went and did it anyway!!! I have dealt with some very upset children that cant skype their grandparents and it is nor 00:39 and the machine is STILL rebuilding. I have been told I will now need to reinstall my application and find all the product keys etc etc.

Great job MS, happy Xmas to all the release managers and developers I hope they rot in hell.

If anyone else has suffered due to 1809 please lets start a class action suit for time and recompense for stress and upset.

:)

Brozzy, Dec 25, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 25, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Dec 25, 2018
  4. DRDNA Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Available for Download

Not sure about the games you listed but no probs with Dirt Rally and benching heavensward-bench here for me. I'm going to test 3DMark too in a few minutes.

DRDNA, Dec 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Xmas wrecked by Windows 10 update - No desktop - Similar Threads - Xmas wrecked update

2. Update wrecking havoc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update wrecking havoc: Hi everyone. I just did a window update (feature update to Windows 10, version 2004). Ever since I completed it my computer has been a nightmare to use. It keeps changing my unlock ability from a pin to a password, logs me out of websites (I use Chrome) even though I keep...
  3. Gears 5 Updates Wrecks Game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gears 5 Updates Wrecks Game: Every time Gears 5 needs an update I open the Windows Store & go to downloads. The update freezes early in the process & never continues to download. The last time this happened I had to reinstall the entire game in order to get it working again & I don't want to keep doing...
  4. Windows 10 latest update is wrecking PCs for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 latest update is wrecking PCs for some users: Windows Updates have a dreadful track record of late, with almost every single update causing users some serious problems. There are multiple reports on Microsoft’s forums, our comment section, and Feedback Hub from people complaining about a range of issues after applying...
  5. Windows 10 wrecking job!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wrecking job!!!: Hi. Windows 10 has been running successfully on one hard drive while I had vista on another. Since the last update to 10 it has managed to render the vista drive inaccessible. How do i get access to the files on vista....
  6. windows 10 update wrecked my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update wrecked my PC: I installed the latest windows 10 upgrade yesterday and it was a disaster When I did the restart – I could not logon to the PC – I kept getting an error message that it could not find my user profile. I tried both password and pin – neither worked. I tried changing...
  7. Microsft updates wrecking peoples computers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsft updates wrecking peoples computers: How can Microsoft just auto update without warning and remove everything! Yes i have now switched off auto update with new system but at some time it has to go back on again and will i end up with the same problem? There must be thousands of people out there around the world...
  8. Windows updates wreck my installed drivers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows updates wreck my installed drivers: Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why Why do Windows 10 updates constantly wreck my installed drivers? Either they blow the trackpad, the Bluetooth, the wireless, or the sound drivers causing me to uninstall and reinstall from the proven drivers I store on a...
  9. Xmas Gaming Gifts 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xmas Gaming Gifts 2016: Happy Holidays to all the fine gamers on this forum. Was Santa good to you this year? Santa (me) got me this combo for Xmas which eliminates the last remnants of Alienware from this build. [img] [img] The keyboard arrived on the 23rd and I'm really enjoying it....
  10. Windows 10 Fall update wrecked my Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Fall update wrecked my Surface Pro: After the update, there is no C drive anymore and when I click on My Computer or file explorer, the desktop keeps resetting. Some existing programs don't start anymore and are taken over by the update.. Anyone else this problem? 95716