Windows 10: XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives

Discus and support XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks to those still using XP VM's and want to share folders with NAS drives - especially large TB volumes you need in the SAMBA system on the NAS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 10, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives

Hi folks

to those still using XP VM's and want to share folders with NAS drives - especially large TB volumes you need in the SAMBA system on the NAS to set max protocol="NT1" in the smb .conf file (latest SMB versions give error if you say SMB1 or SMBV1)

and also specify lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Then full access to NAS drives whatever size.

There's still some apps that make using an XP VM still relevant -- you can protect from Internet so doesn't have to be a security risk.

I have a load of studio hardware Vinyl recording equipment which works perfectly on XP (nothing later) - and would cost around 35,000 USD to upgrade to modern stuff -- totally unnecessary expense for the small amount of work I do so XP VM works perfectly with the still perfectly serviceable hardware !!!!.

This time of the year quite a bit of business supplying people with personalized Vinyl collections with personalized labels !!! and these days with a resurgence in Vinyl getting the blanks (which used to be a problem) is quite easy now !!!.

I've just moved the XP VM to a fast SSD drive -- works a treat as does the equipment.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 10, 2019

2. Accessing files over Network NAS drive

I bought a new laptop on Feb 1. It had Windows 10 installed when I got it.

I set everything up and installed my personal stuff and set the wifi adapter to "private" in the network and sharing options.

Everything was fine. I had direct access to my WD MyCloud NAS storage drive.

On Feb. 2, as I shut down for the night, there was an update. And the next morning, I had no access to my NAS drive.

The drive appears in the file explorer, under network, and several locations on the drive have shortcuts in the Quick Access menu, but nothing on the drive can be accessed, except through the web interface. There is no longer any direct access.

I have tried a large number of fixes I found through Google, including adding a credential and editing through services.msc (making a list of things "automatic" loading rather than "manual."

Nothing has worked.

How do I get my NAS drive back?

***Modify title from: Network NAS drive***

ElsaFrohman, Dec 10, 2019
  3. Problem accessing a NAS drive

I have 2 NAS drives and 3 computers in my home network. The NAS drives and one PC are Ethernet-connected to a router/wireless access point; the other 2 PCs use wireless connections. All 3 PCs can access one NAS drive with no problem. The drives show up in the Network section of File Explorer, and if I click on the NAS's icon all it's shares are displayed (whether or not the PC has credentials to access the shares). The shares on the other NAS drive can be seen by only 2 of the PCs.

On the failing PC the inaccessible NAS drive shows in File Explorer, but if I click on it I get

XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives [​IMG]

However, on that same PC, Firefox can access the FTP server on the NAS drive

XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives [​IMG]

so Windows obviously has no trouble communicating with the NAS. And Windows must be configured to allow communication with a NAS in general or it could not successfully connect to the other NAS. (Those two screen snips were stored on that working NAS.)

The problematic PC doesn't really have to reach the NAS, but I would like it to, and I'm frustrated that I can't figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the error popup says I should ask the administrator of the server about this. I would, but I'm not speaking with myself at the moment.

pokeefe0001, Dec 10, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Western Digital Also Announces WD Red Pro 6 TB Hard Drive for NAS

WD, a Western Digital company, and world leader in storage solutions, today announced the expansion of its award-winning WD Red Pro hard drive line with the release of 5 TB and 6 TB capacities. The WD Red Pro family is ideal for NAS (network attached storage) systems having up to 16 drive bays and serving businesses with more expansive storage needs than the standard WD Red drives.

Shipping now, WD Red Pro 5 and 6 TB drives leverage an enhanced design and 128 MB cache to deliver data transfer rates of 214 megabytes per second (MB/s). WD's NASware 3.0 features technology promoting data protection, high NAS performance and reliable integration. "WD is providing customers a full portfolio of high capacity NAS storage solutions (WD Red and WD Red Pro) for home, consumer and business NAS solutions," said Cindi Grace, senior vice president of WD storage technology group. "With the capacity expansion, there is now a path for customers to increase the storage density of their systems while knowing their data is protected with the most trusted and valued brand on the market."

XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives 82a_thm.jpg

WD Red Pro 6 TB hard drives feature the following:
    • Up to 16 Bay Shock Protection - Equipped with a multi- axis shock sensor, the drive automatically detects subtle shock events and, along with dynamic fly height technology, adjusts each read-write function to compensate and protect the data, further protecting the drive in large 1- to 16-bay NAS environments.
    • NASware 3.0 - Exclusive advanced firmware enables seamless integration, robust data protection and optimal performance for systems operating in the demanding NAS environment.
    • Vibration Protection - Hardware vibration compensation technology monitors the drive to correct both linear and rotational vibration in real time, further increasing drive reliability and enabling high performance in higher vibration systems caused from drive to drive vibration as well as from the high speed fans used to cool the larger systems.
    • Longer Warranty Coverage - Complimenting WD Red drives at a 3-year limited warranty, WD Red Pro offers longer warranty coverage with a 5-year limited warranty.
    Availability and Pricing
    Available now at select U.S. retailers and distributors, the WD Red Pro drive has a five-year limited regional warranty, respectively. Manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the WD Red Pro 5 TB drive (model #: WD5001FFWX) is $269.00 USD and $299.00 USD for 6 TB (model #: WD6001FFWX).

btarunr, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

1. XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives - Similar Threads - accessing large volumes

2. Can't Access my NAS drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access my NAS drive: I cant connect to my NAS. I had mapped drives that worked fine earlier. now I only get an error message. Long message essentialy to many server connections. What has happend Please advice Regards Anders...
  3. XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers

XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers: Hi there If you need access for an XP system whether a Virtual Machine or a physical installation to access large NAS drives on Linux type NAS systems (e.g several TB size of modern HDD's) you will need to add these 2 lines in your SAMBA config (usually in...
  4. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  5. XP and NAS (Samba) access

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...
  6. large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB and an unallocated partition of 1678 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything as all options presented when I right click are greyed out....
  7. Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything....
  8. Problem accessing a NAS drive

Problem accessing a NAS drive: I have 2 NAS drives and 3 computers in my home network. The NAS drives and one PC are Ethernet-connected to a router/wireless access point; the other 2 PCs use wireless connections. All 3 PCs can access one NAS drive with no problem. The drives show up in the Network section...
  9. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...
  10. Failure accessing NAS drive

Failure accessing NAS drive: Hello! I wasn't really sure what section to put this in since it could be security and/or network. The problem is I can see my NAS in file explorer and I can ping it fine and I can even access it via FTP but if I try to access it I get the following dialog box. [img]...