Windows 10: XP and NAS (Samba) access

Discus and support XP and NAS (Samba) access in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 3, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

XP and NAS (Samba) access

Hi folks

If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests.

In your smb.config file add

[global]
    lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Now it works !!!!

XP and NAS (Samba) access [​IMG]

Note this could be a security risk so another possibility if you are a Windows Guru (which I'm not) is apparently to allow XP NTLM SSP via XP registry but I don't like fiddling with registry.

There's a TechNet article on this : (note it's old - but we are talking about XP systems here !!

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level | Microsoft Docs

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 3, 2018
  2. tdugard Win User

Windows 10 and DNS 320 NAS samba access issues

Hello everyone,

Since january 2017 approx. , i can't use my Dlink DNS 320 Nas in my desktop computer explorer (using either \\nas.ip or \\nasname). Before this date the NAS was perfectly working on the same computer.

The NAS is fully working because on a windows 7 laptop, on IOS phone, on Android phone i can connect with Samba protocol with no issues.

On the win 10, i can ping both the ip and the nas name, i can also access it by ftp on web admin interface.

I'm pretty sure a windows update broke it but i really don't know how to make it work again.

tdugard, Nov 3, 2018
  3. Samba at Risk from Wormable Bug Similar to WannaCry: Present on Many NAS boxes

The big concern here is "unsupported" devices, as there are most like hundreds of thousands, if not millions of devices out there that run samba, but have fallen off the supported devices category from their original manufacturer. It means that they no longer receive software updates, but it doesn't mean the devices are useless. No company is going to go and release patches for devices that dropped off their supported devices list 4-5 years ago. These devices could be things like routers, web cameras and what not, in addition to just NAS appliances, as samba is used on anything that has remote accessible storage, so it's a rather scary thing, as so many of these devices have lax security. What's worse, many of these devices can't have the software updated, as it's an integral part of the firmware and changing samba version can break a lot of things.

TheLostSwede, Nov 3, 2018
  4. jimbo45 Win User

W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba)

Hi folks

it's definitely a windows update problem with version 1709.

FROM Nas server -- cannot access windows shares vua samba anymore -- says timeout on xxxxx - and this comes up immediately !!!

other windows machines have no problem.

Accessing the server FROM windows is OK but I need to access windows FROM the server as well (auto backups from server).

Any suggestions folks.

I actually didn't want this last update but some how windows set to auto update.

version is W10 pro 1709 build 16299.64

SAMBA on server running just fine -- TV's, phones etc can all access OK. SAMBA V4 (latest) being used on server.

Note Windows TO server works, Windows FROM server fails. I have 2 NAS servers and same problem -old Windows works but not the latest.

Tested also disabling BOTH sets of firewalls and Windows has all the allow remote access stuff enabled.

Is there some type of local security policy default enabled that wasn't there before. ??

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 3, 2018
Thema:

1. XP and NAS (Samba) access - Similar Threads - NAS Samba access

2. Samba in linux can't be accessed with windows 10, but another pc can access samba.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Samba in linux can't be accessed with windows 10, but another pc can access samba.: Hello, I am trying to make a samba server in pop!_os, I've tried connecting to samba with my Asus N43SL and it worked, but when I tried it on the Lenovo V330-14kb it doesn't work, I tried the troubleshooter, but it doesn't do anything....
  3. NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10

NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10: Hello, for some time now I have not been able to access the files on my NAS from my Windows 10 PC. This is a D-Link DNS-325 Sharecenter type NAS on which I use the opensource Alt-F firmware, SMB2 compatible. Windows version: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1909 18363.1256 When...
  4. NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing

NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing: Hi folks couldn't get SAMBA v4.11 working at all (4.10.X was OK) however provided you upgrade on your NAS systems to Samba 4.12.2 or later it is working again --especially if you need to use / access older non Windows devices that still need SMB1 in the [global] section of...
  5. XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives: Hi folks to those still using XP VM's and want to share folders with NAS drives - especially large TB volumes you need in the SAMBA system on the NAS to set max protocol="NT1" in the smb .conf file (latest SMB versions give error if you say SMB1 or SMBV1) and also specify...
  6. Windows latest update causes SAMBA (NAS) change ????

Windows latest update causes SAMBA (NAS) change ????: Hi there Haven't changed any settings in Windows 10 or in SAMBA files but after latest W10 update I get the NAS trying to act as a local master browser ????? -- I haven't got anything in SAMBA to specify this -- samba hasn't changed so it can only be windows / networking....
  7. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  8. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  9. NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity: Hi folks I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section. You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from...
  10. Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s): Hi folks If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xp samba smb2

2. windows samba nas access