Windows 10: XP dual boot with W10

Discus and support XP dual boot with W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by skyways1142, Jan 28, 2019.

1. XP dual boot with W10

Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits!

I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP...

In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the remainder as E:\ 388GB to be used for W10.

Please confirm that with the PC running I can plug-in the W10-USB and be able to 'run' the installation choosing 'advanced' to be able to point it to the E-drive.

Is that it - seems too easy! - or have I missed something?

Running 'CPU-Z' I can see in 'Instructions': MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,EM64T,VT-x...
    In one of the posts it 'required' SSE2,EM64T,VT-d, VT-x ~~~ so I appear to be missing VT-d.

Would rather be certain W10 will be good on this PC before I spend £100!
    PC spec: Intel Q6600 quad-cord @ 2.40GHz; 4GB DDR2 RAM @332.5MHz.
    This PC is only used for mail and internet plus some photo-editing and my (XP-only) musicpadpro.
    No gaming...

Thanks in anticipation.
    Ken *Wink

:)

skyways1142, Jan 28, 2019
  2. tdug Win User

Upgrading possible ? Dual boot (XP-32 / W7-64) to (XP-32 / W10-64)

Hi everybody,

I have a dual boot PC with Windows XP (32 bits) and Windows 7 (64 bits), both installed on a 500 Go SSD.

I have a 500 Go HDD for My documents, other data and games. Having two drives on a PC didn't cause any problem for upgrading W7 on another PC
    but there was no other OS.

My 2nd PC is declared to be W10 compatible.

The active partition is the one with XP. So the one with W7 is
    not active.

My two questions :

• Will the upgrade process be able to upgrade W7 even if it is not the active partition ?
    • Will XP and the dual boot persist ?
    Any experience with dual boot and W10 upgrading ?

3. dcf-joe Win User
    dual boot xp and ubuntu

I had that problem a few months ago, but dual-booting is really easy. I am currently dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Use this website here for a guide to dual-booting XP and Ubuntu: APC's January 2019 issue is out now! | TechRadar (I actually did not use this guide at all, but I did pretty much the same thing!)

If you are unable to get your boot working with this guide, reply to this message, and I will write out a step-by-step guide, but it will involve you already having a partition set out for XP (as in you are not already using your entire hard drive space for XP alone.) Even though I write the guide with experience from Vista, it will work with XP

dcf-joe, Jan 28, 2019
  4. XP dual boot with W10

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

XP dual boot with W10

1. XP dual boot with W10 - Similar Threads - dual boot W10

2. Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot Win10 and XP screw up: I have a play system with Win10 installed and wanted to put XP on it as well and be able to dual boot. Of course I've done it the wrong way round and wonder if there's anyway to recover from my screw up without reloading WIn10, which is not a big deal anyway, just time...
  3. XP dual boot with W10

XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  4. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  5. Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.

Windows 10 dual boot with XP - problems.: Hi all, I had Windows XP on my hard drive for a long time, created a separate partition and installed Windows 10. (both 32 bit). Windows 10 is working fine, it set up the dual boot menu where I can also select Windows XP ("earlier version of Windows"). Problem is, in...
  6. Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10

Dual boot XP on top of Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home on my PC and I'd like to dual boot Windows XP on top of windows 10. But how to do that since after XP, Windows 10 MBR will be lost. 25724
  7. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...
  8. Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem

Windows 10 and windows XP dual boot problem: Hello, I recently upgraded my windows 7 to 10. I had XP installed also. After the upgrade i couldn't boot from XP anymore(but it was showed on the boot list) so reinstalled it. Now windows 10 doesnt appear in my boot list so i cant boot from it anymore. Any ideas how to make...
  9. Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10

Win XP Dual Boot with Win 10: Hello Im not sure which would be the best way to do this, Google is good most of the time but I am getting nowhere apart from getting more stress and a headache. I have Win XP with SP2 already loaded and set up just right on a sata drive, Ive bought a new motherboard,...
  10. XP failed after upgrading win7 to win 10 of dual boot with XP

XP failed after upgrading win7 to win 10 of dual boot with XP: Several weeks ago I upped to windows 10 on a dual boot system running windows 7 and XP. Win7 and XP are on different partitions. Over the last week, the XP would not boot unless it was directed to the last successful configuration. I attempted system restore from XP with no...