Windows 10: XP dual boot with W10

Discus and support XP dual boot with W10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by skyways1142, Jan 28, 2019.

1. XP dual boot with W10

Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits!

I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP...

In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the remainder as E:\ 388GB to be used for W10.

Please confirm that with the PC running I can plug-in the W10-USB and be able to 'run' the installation choosing 'advanced' to be able to point it to the E-drive.

Is that it - seems too easy! - or have I missed something?

Running 'CPU-Z' I can see in 'Instructions': MMX,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,EM64T,VT-x...
    In one of the posts it 'required' SSE2,EM64T,VT-d, VT-x ~~~ so I appear to be missing VT-d.

Would rather be certain W10 will be good on this PC before I spend £100!
    PC spec: Intel Q6600 quad-cord @ 2.40GHz; 4GB DDR2 RAM @332.5MHz.
    This PC is only used for mail and internet plus some photo-editing and my (XP-only) musicpadpro.
    No gaming...

Thanks in anticipation.
    Ken *Wink

:)

skyways1142, Jan 28, 2019
  2. tdug Win User

Upgrading possible ? Dual boot (XP-32 / W7-64) to (XP-32 / W10-64)

Hi everybody,

I have a dual boot PC with Windows XP (32 bits) and Windows 7 (64 bits), both installed on a 500 Go SSD.

I have a 500 Go HDD for My documents, other data and games. Having two drives on a PC didn't cause any problem for upgrading W7 on another PC
    but there was no other OS.

My 2nd PC is declared to be W10 compatible.

The active partition is the one with XP. So the one with W7 is
    not active.

My two questions :

• Will the upgrade process be able to upgrade W7 even if it is not the active partition ?
    • Will XP and the dual boot persist ?
    Any experience with dual boot and W10 upgrading ?

3. dcf-joe Win User
    dual boot xp and ubuntu

I had that problem a few months ago, but dual-booting is really easy. I am currently dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. Use this website here for a guide to dual-booting XP and Ubuntu: APC's January 2019 issue is out now! | TechRadar (I actually did not use this guide at all, but I did pretty much the same thing!)

If you are unable to get your boot working with this guide, reply to this message, and I will write out a step-by-step guide, but it will involve you already having a partition set out for XP (as in you are not already using your entire hard drive space for XP alone.) Even though I write the guide with experience from Vista, it will work with XP

dcf-joe, Jan 28, 2019
  4. XP dual boot with W10

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

XP dual boot with W10

1. XP dual boot with W10 - Similar Threads - dual boot W10

2. Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot XP on Windows 10 Pro: I have new Windows 10 Pro laptop and want to configure to dual boot Windows XP, what is the best way to go about. Installation on multiple partitions or creating virtual machine using Hyper-V? I need to do this on 10 laptops, what is the easy way to do it. It is possible to...
  3. Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot: Problem reinstalling W10: I can see there are many posts here about dual boot systems and various problems that can come up. I haven't been able to find info that seems to fit my particular problem, so I'm posting my question: I need to reinstall W10 on my dual boot W10/W7 desktop because of problems....
  4. W10 Dual Boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Dual Boot problem: I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend. First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different computers and have never run into this problem. The Dell 9020 has W10 Pro on it & it opens fine. When I install Ubuntu...
  5. DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DUAL BOOT PROBLEM - Mint+W10: I have Linux Mint 19 installed in legacy mode, I wanted to dual boot with Windows 10 (I would install it later to recover the grub), but my pendrive will only boot in UEFI and Mint will not. I was wondering if it is possible to do a dual boot without any bootloader, like...
  6. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. It was lightning fast when booting. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. BIOS, not UEFI and MBR. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64 as a...
  7. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. It was lightning fast when booting. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64. Since doing so, I get a blank screen...
  8. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  9. Dual boot Windows 10 with XP

Dual boot Windows 10 with XP: Hi all I have recently purchased an OMEN 880 (win 10 home edition pre-installed),with 2 empty bays on top for extra hard drives and I would like to know if it's possible to install the hard drive from my Asus into one of these bays, then dual boot. I have read on the...
  10. Dual boot w7 + w10

Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual boot xp w10