Windows 10: XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

Discus and support XP to NAS / SAMBA shares in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

Hi folks

If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system.

(The NAS can usually by default access XP without problem -- this is for XP TO the NAS).

lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Then you can connect easily -- screenshot below -- no prob XP VM acessing music file of over 2TB on NAS / SAMBA server.

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 7, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

XP and NAS (Samba) access

Hi folks

If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests.

In your smb.config file add

[global]
    lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Now it works !!!!

Note this could be a security risk so another possibility if you are a Windows Guru (which I'm not) is apparently to allow XP NTLM SSP via XP registry but I don't like fiddling with registry.

There's a TechNet article on this : (note it's old - but we are talking about XP systems here !!

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level | Microsoft Docs

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Hello Simon,

To better assist you, kindly provide the following information:

• What version of Samba Share are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have your done so far?
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Feb 7, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

Linux Samba settings to display Windows shares

Hi folks

Samba needs a different setting to display Windows or any of the SAMBA shares - especially if its version of Linux / NAS server needs / uses SMB1

You still need to set the SMB1 option in Add features to windows of course.

also in the samba config file ensure this line is in the global section

[global]
    max protocol = NT1 <===+++++++++++++++++

(Not client max protocol !!)

what this actually does (apart from working !!! ) I have no idea but it fixed 4 Linux machines which suddenly stopped listing Samba shares under network. I saw the suggestion on some weird website - have no idea of the link though - must have been imbibing some of those nice malted fluids kari likes. !!!

Works also with ubuntu guests as well as Hosts and Centos guests and hosts. haven't messed around with other Linux distros as I don't really use them.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

1. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares - Similar Threads - NAS SAMBA shares

2. NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10: Hello, for some time now I have not been able to access the files on my NAS from my Windows 10 PC. This is a D-Link DNS-325 Sharecenter type NAS on which I use the opensource Alt-F firmware, SMB2 compatible. Windows version: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1909 18363.1256 When...
  3. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  4. BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users

BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users: Hi folks There's a / several bug(s) reported (and I can concur) with current release of Samba (4.11.x) This will also affect Windows users if they want to access NAS or Linux servers using SAMBA where SAMBA has been upgraded to Version 4.11.x. where x is 1,2,3 etc. Version...
  5. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  6. Cannot access Samba share

Cannot access Samba share: Hi, I have a few Windows 10 computers and some linux computers on my network. I use Samba to enable sharing between the Windows and Linux computers. On one of the Windows computer I have a Storage Spaces drive set up as a Samba share. I can access some of the folders on this...
  7. NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity: Hi folks I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section. You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from...
  8. XP and NAS (Samba) access

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...
  9. Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s): Hi folks If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including...
  10. W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba)

W10 pro update 1709 shares cannot be accesed FROM NAS Server (Samba): Hi folks it's definitely a windows update problem with version 1709. FROM Nas server -- cannot access windows shares vua samba anymore -- says timeout on xxxxx - and this comes up immediately !!! other windows machines have no problem. Accessing the server FROM...