Windows 10: XP VM access to Non Windows LAN disks (VMWare) e.g from NAS disks

Discus and support XP VM access to Non Windows LAN disks (VMWare) e.g from NAS disks in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks For those of you still using XP VM's running under VMWare (either workstation or VMPlayer) and you want to access NON Windows LAN shared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 5, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

XP VM access to Non Windows LAN disks (VMWare) e.g from NAS disks

Hi folks

For those of you still using XP VM's running under VMWare (either workstation or VMPlayer) and you want to access NON Windows LAN shared disks e.g from a NAS - especially say these large TB devices you need to ensure that in the SAMBA config file on the NAS server(s) you add these 2 lines in the global section of the smb.conf file in the /etc/samba directory.

lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

You also need to enable SMBV1 on the Windows 10 Machines and also in the SAMBA config file add this line

min protocol = NT1

Then it will all work.

If you don't make the changes you will just be presented with the logon screen to access the NAS over and over again even if you enter the correct user (could be different from your Windows account) and password.

(For XP to and from W10 then when no SAMBA is involved just set the W10 machine to use SMBV1).

Any I.T admins etc -- I'm 100% aware of "Security" posed by sharing XP -- I'm though here talking about in general HOME type LANS so a lot of the security paranoia is totally overblown these days -- of course people want to "protect their jobs" but there's a mega huge difference in protecting coprporate / SME type of LANS , public Forums, and e-commerce etc to just sharing some files across your own home LAN and in any case you can always prevent the XP system from having any Internet access.

There's still a load of reasons why people still use older OS'es -- e.g specialized legacy expensive hardware / software -- some of the stuff I run on XP would cost me over 25,000 USD to upgrade perfectly working hardware / software -- some of this stuff has lifetimes of over 35 years (or more) before needing to be replaced.

One of the things I do part time is create personalised Vinyl records for people from their own music -- all the studio and vinyl cutting software / hardware is on an XP XM - I get the music and requests from the NAS, create the vinyls on the XP system, and then generate the invoices and postal labels for returning to customer etc via e-commerce on the NAS.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

For those of you still using XP VM's running under VMWare (either workstation or VMPlayer) and you want to access NON Windows LAN shared disks e.g from a NAS - especially say these large TB devices you need to ensure that in the SAMBA config file on the NAS server(s) you add these 2 lines in the global section of the smb.conf file in the /etc/samba directory.

lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

You also need to enable SMBV1 on the Windows 10 Machines and also in the SAMBA config file add this line

min protocol = NT1

Then it will all work.

If you don't make the changes you will just be presented with the logon screen to access the NAS over and over again even if you enter the correct user (could be different from your Windows account) and password.

(For XP to and from W10 then when no SAMBA is involved just set the W10 machine to use SMBV1).

Any I.T admins etc -- I'm 100% aware of "Security" posed by sharing XP -- I'm though here talking about in general HOME type LANS so a lot of the security paranoia is totally overblown these days -- of course people want to "protect their jobs" but there's a mega huge difference in protecting coprporate / SME type of LANS , public Forums, and e-commerce etc to just sharing some files across your own home LAN and in any case you can always prevent the XP system from having any Internet access.

There's still a load of reasons why people still use older OS'es -- e.g specialized legacy expensive hardware / software -- some of the stuff I run on XP would cost me over 25,000 USD to upgrade perfectly working hardware / software -- some of this stuff has lifetimes of over 35 years (or more) before needing to be replaced.

One of the things I do part time is create personalised Vinyl records for people from their own music -- all the studio and vinyl cutting software / hardware is on an XP XM - I get the music and requests from the NAS, create the vinyls on the XP system, and then generate the invoices and postal labels for returning to customer etc via e-commerce on the NAS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 5, 2021
  3. michael Win User
    Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, Feb 5, 2021
  4. XP VM access to Non Windows LAN disks (VMWare) e.g from NAS disks

Accessing files on the old Windows 7 XP Mode VM

After successfully upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a friend discovered that he cannot start his XP Mode VM neither access files on the virtual HD disk of the XP Mode VM.

Given that I do know that the VM cannot be started, how can he copy files from the disk?

A full backup of the Windows 7 PC is available, so the virtual disk can be restored if necessary.

Regards

marius

Marius - Roma, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

1. XP VM access to Non Windows LAN disks (VMWare) e.g from NAS disks - Similar Threads - access Non LAN

2. XP VM nternet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP VM nternet access: i have my Wn10 machine running Hyper-V and i've started my xp VM machine but cannot get the NIC drivers or anything else running in it to make it useable. can someone please help? This is my first attempt at setting up a VM....
  3. WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now: Hi there For some people there's still a need to run XP systems - even as VM's. To run XP VM's on the latest hardware and Linux kernels (KVM) - forget about converting from VMWare / VBOX if you have those Install again from new --- use Windows XP Pro with SP3 or later ....
  4. Local Disk G:

Local Disk G:: On This PC on my computer there is a new disk that just showed up Local Disk G: When I double click it Bit Locker G: load key from USB drive. When I click on load key it says a valid key wasn't detected. What is this? Do I need it? Why do I have it? Is it new in Windows...
  5. Windows 10 LAN NAS no longer accessible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 LAN NAS no longer accessible: After July 20 Windows 10 2004 updates, file explorer reports cannot access 3 of 5 LAN NAS. Affected NAS are 2 Netgear Readynas Duo and 1 Netgear Readynas Duo v2. Unaffected NAS are 1 Netgear Readynas 102 and 1 WD MyBookLive. Troubleshooter does not resolve. Same problem on...
  6. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  7. How to access my dead NAS disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access my dead NAS disk: I have a nas that died but I need access the files from it. Windows doesn't naturally see it when I plug the disk in as it's a Linux file system. Is there an easy way to get access to this? I know I can boot to Ubuntu. I tried reclaim me and it does see my files but I can't...
  8. Local disk G

Local disk G: Ive seen the instruction with running the diskpart then run as administrator when i do that it doesnt stay open long enough for me to remove the G for the local disk. What can I do?...
  9. VMware how to delete disks from HOST (not the VM)

VMware how to delete disks from HOST (not the VM): Hi folks there's plenty of info about removing a Virtual disk from a VMware VM but this just removes the virtual HDD from the VM but doesn't actually delete it from your Host disk. What you have to do is go into the VM file itself for the VM and once you've ascertained which...
  10. XP and NAS (Samba) access

XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...