Windows 10: XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers

Discus and support XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there If you need access for an XP system whether a Virtual Machine or a physical installation to access large NAS drives on Linux type NAS systems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Sep 15, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers

Hi there

If you need access for an XP system whether a Virtual Machine or a physical installation to access large NAS drives on Linux type NAS systems (e.g several TB size of modern HDD's) you will need to add these 2 lines in your SAMBA config (usually in /etc/samba/smb.conf).

Restart the samba system (sudo systemctl restart nmn(d) smb(d)). some distros use smb, nmb others use smbd, nmbd -- restart the two services relevant to your NAS system(s). No need to re-boot the NAS systems (or the Windows XP system).

Add in the [global] section (on the NAS of course !!!

[global]
    lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

(You also need SMBV1 enabled of course !! in Windows).

Still working 100% on latest builds of W10 -- I can access a 20TB HDD from XP -- those sizes of HDD's weren't even dreamt about in XP days !!!.

Then all OK again.

shown here in this old (really old) post of mine. I know a few still use XP VM's for all sorts of legacy hard/software stuff.

XP and NAS (Samba) access

Have fun - those users still messing around with XP -- is still has a load of good good stuff currently working all OK BTW !!!!--

Dinosaur technology can still be rewarding !!!!! and hugely more educational than the modern practice of dumbing down and automating everything via "easy 1-click installs" -We all know problems with that type of stuff when those things fail --usually not solvable !!!!!

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 15, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives

Hi folks

to those still using XP VM's and want to share folders with NAS drives - especially large TB volumes you need in the SAMBA system on the NAS to set max protocol="NT1" in the smb .conf file (latest SMB versions give error if you say SMB1 or SMBV1)

and also specify lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Then full access to NAS drives whatever size.

There's still some apps that make using an XP VM still relevant -- you can protect from Internet so doesn't have to be a security risk.

I have a load of studio hardware Vinyl recording equipment which works perfectly on XP (nothing later) - and would cost around 35,000 USD to upgrade to modern stuff -- totally unnecessary expense for the small amount of work I do so XP VM works perfectly with the still perfectly serviceable hardware !!!!.

This time of the year quite a bit of business supplying people with personalized Vinyl collections with personalized labels !!! and these days with a resurgence in Vinyl getting the blanks (which used to be a problem) is quite easy now !!!.

I've just moved the XP VM to a fast SSD drive -- works a treat as does the equipment.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 15, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!

Hi folks
    I tried all the standard stuff to get access to NAS / Linux machines from W10 including re-enabling SMB1 and killing the auto removal of SMB1 -- nothing worked.

Then I had a brain storm -- get rid of CITRIX (I can run that as a VM for access to work remote desktop)

rebooted

Guess what -- access immediately to my 3 NAS type servers. Note for NAS to access windows also check the SERVER as well as CLIENT box - CLIENT allows W10 to access SAMBA on NAS, SERVER allows NAS to access windows shares.

XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers [​IMG]

Windows Networking is a real pain but for the moment working now.

Don't know what CITRIX did but it's staying on a VM from now on !!!!

Update : the VM I've installed CITRIX on has the original network problem !! but NAS access isn't needed on that VM. The main problem is solved though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 15, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

Hi folks

If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system.

(The NAS can usually by default access XP without problem -- this is for XP TO the NAS).

lanman auth=yes
    ntlm auth=yes

Then you can connect easily -- screenshot below -- no prob XP VM acessing music file of over 2TB on NAS / SAMBA server.

XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. XP (VM or real) access to VERY large TB NAS drives on Linux servers - Similar Threads - real access VERY

2. XP VM nternet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP VM nternet access: i have my Wn10 machine running Hyper-V and i've started my xp VM machine but cannot get the NIC drivers or anything else running in it to make it useable. can someone please help? This is my first attempt at setting up a VM....
  3. XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    XP accessing large TB volumes on NAS drives: Hi folks to those still using XP VM's and want to share folders with NAS drives - especially large TB volumes you need in the SAMBA system on the NAS to set max protocol="NT1" in the smb .conf file (latest SMB versions give error if you say SMB1 or SMBV1) and also specify...
  4. Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real)

Mount Windows GPT drive on to Linux machine (VM or real): Hi there just a quick note for people who want to use GPT (NTFS formatted) HDD's on a Linux machine directly rather than via sharing from Windows. Ensure package ntfs-3g is installed -- often is by default --this will give read and write access to NTFS files. Remember a GPT...
  5. XP and NAS (Samba) access

XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...
  6. large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    large 4 tb drive but windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB and an unallocated partition of 1678 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything as all options presented when I right click are greyed out....
  7. Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Large 4 tb drive but Windows only recognizes 2 TB: Trying to figure out a workaround to utilize the second partition on my 4 TB drive. The drive shows an active partition of 2048 GB. I cannot format, activate or do anything....
  8. ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM

ClearOS as headless NAS server on a VM: Hi folks. Nothing wrong in virtualising servers these days. anybody tried this one yet on a VM -- looks quite good for things like NAS servers --small and very fast. You just run it from a webui so it works 100% headless - normally that's what you want a NAS server to...
  9. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...
  10. Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!

Citrix killed Network access to NAS / Linux servers - now fixed !!: Hi folks I tried all the standard stuff to get access to NAS / Linux machines from W10 including re-enabling SMB1 and killing the auto removal of SMB1 -- nothing worked. Then I had a brain storm -- get rid of CITRIX (I can run that as a VM for access to work remote...