Windows 10: XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

Discus and support XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi Folks, I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mikelip2020, Oct 8, 2020.

1. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

Hi Folks,

I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has limited or no connectivity, so i cannot connect to my local network or map the drive to the server.

I have the Network adapter set to Legacy adapter and have it routed to the default switch.

I originally had it only routed through legacy adapter with new virtual switch, both give the same result.

Any ideas on how i can get the network fully working?

Thanks in Advance

Mike

submitted by /u/mikelip2020
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mikelip2020, Oct 8, 2020
  2. BBP28 Win User

XP VM on Hyper-v in Win 10can't Access my Host C drive and no ethernet connection

XP VM on Hyper-v in Win 10can't Access my Host C drive and no ethernet connection. I have Internet connection.

W10 to see a share on an XP machine you'll need to add 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client' in Windows Features

1. I already have SMB 1.0/CIFS check marked in Win 10. Still don't get Ethernet

2. while creating Virtual switch I got following error msg.

Error : applying virtual switch properties changes failed while adding virtual ethernet connection.

External Ethernet adapter " Intel (R) 82567V- 2 Gigabit network connection is already bound to Microsoft Virtual switch protocol.

Any suggestion?

BBP28, Oct 8, 2020
  3. Hyper-V Networking Win Server 2016 on HP DL360 gen 10

Hi,

I'm performing initial testing with Hyper-V on an Hp DL360 gen 10 server. The first ethernet port is in use by the main Win 2016 OS installed on the server. I'd like to use one of the 3 available ethernet ports to act as the network/internet connect for
    the Hyper-V Virtual Machine. It will sit on the same VLAN as the main server connection and the Ip address in Hyper-V will be a static IP address.

I've been walking through the Hyper V instructions to set up a virtual switch using the selected port, but havent' been successful in setting the network in the VM as desired. In Virtual switch manager, i created a new swtich and de-selected the option
    for "Allow management operating system to share the network adapter. However, I've been unable to get a network connection in the VM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

kevinmmscommunity, Oct 8, 2020
  4. Steve C Win User

XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

I'm playing around with Windows XP as a VM in Hyper V for reasons I won't go into. I have a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD I created some time ago. I've hit the following issues.

1. I can install XP from the CD but Hyper V seems to want access to the bootable CD whenever the VM is restarted. It would be faster to use an ISO file stored on a SSD. I've tried various ways to create a bootable ISO file from my CD but failed. What's the best way of creating an ISO file which will install XP and run under Hyper V?
    2. I installed a virtual switch using a legacy network adapter but cannot connect the VM to the internet. Has anyone done this and what are the key steps? Is it safe to use XP to connect to internet from Hyper V?
    3. I mounted the VM's .vhdx file to copy over some programs to test but this broke the VM's virtual drive configuration on restarting the VM. What's the best way to transfer files to the VM from elsewhere on my PC?

Steve C, Oct 8, 2020
Thema:

XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

1. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity - Similar Threads - Hyper network connectivity

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Unable to connect to vm's in Hyper V Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to connect to vm's in Hyper V Manager: Please help, i have installed hyper v manager and created virtual machines .While i click the connect option and it loads for a 5 seconds and then disappears . I have tried vmconnect too also , but same result. Tried Hyper V Quick create and it is crashing . While i check...
  5. XP VM on Hyper-v in Win 10can't Access my Host C drive and no ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    XP VM on Hyper-v in Win 10can't Access my Host C drive and no ethernet connection: XP VM on Hyper-v in Win 10can't Access my Host C drive and no ethernet connection. I have Internet connection. W10 to see a share on an XP machine you'll need to add 'SMB 1.0/CIFS Client' in Windows Features 1. I already have SMB 1.0/CIFS check marked in Win 10. Still...
  6. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  7. VM connection issue with Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM connection issue with Hyper-V: I have had this long standing issue with Hyper-V VMconnection as follows. Sometimes I have a VM in a window, and I go to maximise it to full screen, but the windows 10 display part does no resize to full Window. Ok that is usually sorted by clicking the Hyper-V control bar...
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. Local Resources not showing for Win 10 Pro Hyper-V VM

Local Resources not showing for Win 10 Pro Hyper-V VM: Hey- I've been troubleshooting this for ages, and am getting no-where fast! *Mad I'm basically trying to get a webcam to be available in the Windows 10 Pro Gen2 VM using Hyper-V. My host is Windows 10 Pro (on the same PC). I've read that I need to use RDP to...
  10. Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 pro using Win Xp in Hyper-v connecting to LAN problem: Hi Guys, Im new to the Windows 10 world, I am working with a small company with very outdated software...and hardware for that matter. I am trying to upgrade a PC to a new Desktop running windows 10 pro, that was the easy part. All the other old systems are running Windows...