Windows 10: XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3

Discus and support XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How Can I disable modern standby S0 and enable legacy sleep S3 on XPS 17 9730 with Windows 11 Pro x64... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SABANAT, Apr 22, 2024.

1. SABANAT Win User

XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3

How Can I disable modern standby S0 and enable legacy sleep S3 on XPS 17 9730 with Windows 11 Pro x64

:)

SABANAT, Apr 22, 2024
  2. robw1972 Win User

XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed

I recently purchased an XPS 17 9730, Windows 11.

When I select 'shutdown' and close the lid, the laptop then either starts to run the fans, or, after a few minutes, turns itself back on. Sometimes both.

This is 'shutdown', not 'sleep' and I have not enabled 'hibernate'.

I have disabled 'modern standby' / 'connected standby' after following directions on Microsoft and other forums.

The laptop still starts - usually in to one of two variations of "system did not start properly" or "BIOS time not set" screen. One screen is blue with 'continue' or 'restart PC' options. The other is white, with a 'Run Diagnostics', 'BIOS-Setup' or 'restart PC' options.

Restarting a laptop unknowingly to the owner/user, or in their absence, is a hazard.

1. Creates a heated electrical device, and potential fire hazard
    2. Consumes electricity or wastes battery life
    3. Increases device and hardware usage, reducing lifespan

None of these are positive aspects for the owner, and I've spent almost £4,000 on a laptop that is giving me problems, not solutions.

When a user instructs the device to 'shutdown', that is exactly what the user expects. Not 'sleep', not 'hibernate', not 'dose' as in 'Modern Standby'.

'Shutdown' means 'shutdown'. Exactly that. Don't tell me what you think my device should be doing. Do I as I instruct. Which my Alienware does, but my XPS does not.

I would like to get updates on my XPS when I am online only - which has happened with all previous laptops successfully for the last 20+ years. If users want 'Modern Standby' then make it an option, not mandatory.

For the designers and developers, it is all well and good, sitting in a nice high-tech, high-speed, air conditioned office - but you really need to think laterally about end user needs and experiences. The need to be like others (Apple) and the need to be constantly connected, even in user absences, is both insecure and juvenile.

Travelling around the world in aircraft, with laptops turning themselves on is not good. Working overseas, with intermittent connectivity and leaving the laptop in the accommodation for 12+ hours a day to find your laptop has been on and got increasingly hot over the past 11-hours 59-minutes is not good.

'Shutdown' means 'shutdown'.

Solutions, not problems.

Even after disabling 'Modern Standby', my laptop is still turning on of its own accord.

How do I fix this?

robw1972, Apr 22, 2024
  3. iandh Win User
    S3 sleep trouble with Gigabyte GA-790FX-UD5P AM3

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried F3, F3b, F3i, F4d, F4g, and now F4, sleep does not work 100% on any but better on some than others.

iandh, Apr 22, 2024
  4. XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3

Dell XPS 13 (9370) Getting Warm in Sleep Mode

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I realise the XPS doesn't support S3 sleep, what I am trying to do is get it to do the equivalent of S3.

With all of the other laptops I have ever owned I could close the lid when I went to bed, there would be no heat, negligible battery drain, and next morning I open the lid and it's instant on.

The XPS takes over 20 seconds to come out of hibernation and it's looking like because someone thought that having lots of stuff running is a good idea in sleep we now don't have a viable sleep mode - at least not with the XPS.

I have turned background apps off, not sure what else I can do but use hibernate.

Nice one Microsoft - we now have another good feature that is no longer useable!!!

Midnight_lightning, Apr 22, 2024
Thema:

XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3

1. XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3 - Similar Threads - XPS 9730 Enabeling

2. Touchpad not working, Dell XPS 17

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad not working, Dell XPS 17: So I have had this Dell XPS 17 for about 4 years now, and recently the touch pad has been giving me issues, being notably laggy, until today when the device crashed randomly due to memory issues which were resolved, and upon restart, the cursor never appeared again, and the...
  3. Touchpad not working, Dell XPS 17

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad not working, Dell XPS 17: So I have had this Dell XPS 17 for about 4 years now, and recently the touch pad has been giving me issues, being notably laggy, until today when the device crashed randomly due to memory issues which were resolved, and upon restart, the cursor never appeared again, and the...
  4. XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XPS 17 9730 - Enabeling Legacy sleep mode S3: How Can I disable modern standby S0 and enable legacy sleep S3 on XPS 17 9730 with Windows 11 Pro x64 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xps-17-9730-enabeling-legacy-sleep-mode-s3/34bd8822-0901-4b55-a543-bb784c31ddf6
  5. XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed: I recently purchased an XPS 17 9730, Windows 11.When I select 'shutdown' and close the lid, the laptop then either starts to run the fans, or, after a few minutes, turns itself back on. Sometimes both.This is 'shutdown', not 'sleep' and I have not enabled 'hibernate'.I have...
  6. XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XPS 17 9730 - Turning On When Shutdown and Lid Closed: I recently purchased an XPS 17 9730, Windows 11.When I select 'shutdown' and close the lid, the laptop then either starts to run the fans, or, after a few minutes, turns itself back on. Sometimes both.This is 'shutdown', not 'sleep' and I have not enabled 'hibernate'.I have...
  7. why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??: why win10 autorandom standby s3 sleep??here is my event log code: 2022.5.27 10:38:14 Service Control Manager 7006 2022.5.27 10:37:50 Service Control Manager 7034 2022.5.27 10:37:47 Service Control Manager 7006 2022.5.27 10:37:46 Service Control Manager 7034 2022.5.27 10:37:45...
  8. Legacy Kernel Caller Prevents Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Legacy Kernel Caller Prevents Sleep Mode: I know the exact application that is using these drivers, I can sometimes even get the computer to sleep once while the application is open but I'll try and have it re-enter sleep mode just to test it out and it does nothing. When I close the application, I can have it enter...
  9. Dell introduces redesigned XPS 15 and XPS 17

in Windows 10 News
    Dell introduces redesigned XPS 15 and XPS 17: [ATTACH] Dell’s family of XPS laptops If you’re in the market for a new PC, take note: Dell has announced new devices that deliver larger screens, long battery life and enough power to stream your favorite shows, edit photos for Instagram, render 4K...
  10. XPS 13 gets scalding hot in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    XPS 13 gets scalding hot in sleep mode: submitted by /u/FiziksMayMays [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ewsjlh/xps_13_gets_scalding_hot_in_sleep_mode/