Windows 10: XPS 8910 tower sleeps but when keyboard/mouse click its shutdown

Discus and support XPS 8910 tower sleeps but when keyboard/mouse click its shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have XPS desktop with Windows 10 installed on it and I'm so frustrated with this not sure what to do and I have tried many instructions on the web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ezx8, Dec 20, 2017.

1. ezx8 Win User

XPS 8910 tower sleeps but when keyboard/mouse click its shutdown

I have XPS desktop with Windows 10 installed on it and I'm so frustrated with this not sure what to do and I have tried many instructions on the web and nothing fix the problem I'm having:

What is the problem?
    • When I put computer to sleep, the computer goes to sleep but when when I press keyboard/mouse to wake-up... it sounded its starting to wake-up but its shutdown by itself.

Any help guys?

Here is what I have done so far:

Reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F2 to open BIOS setup.
    Look for an option "USB Wake" (or similar) and make sure it's ENabled. Be sure to save the change before exiting setup.
    If that doesn't solve the problem (or USB Wake isn't listed in BIOS...

• Open Device Manager and expand list under USB
    • Double-click a USB root hub and click its Power Management tab
    • Uncheck box "Allow PC to turn off..."
    • Repeat for all USB root hubs
    Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager

• Uncheck that same box for any HID entry with a Power Management tab.
    Then go to the Windows Power options page

• Identify the current power plan and click link to change its settings
    • Click link on next screen for Advanced options
    • Disable USB Selective Suspend
    • Save the change to power plan if prompted

:)

2. Wndows 10 won't wake from sleep using keyboard

Brand new Dell XPS 8910 came with Win 10.

After I set up sleep/power controls, I tried to wake pc using keyboard and it did nothing. I started playing with controls, but nothing changed. Still need to press Power Button to wake from sleep

pbrugalett, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - PC locks up on Sleep/Shutdown

When my computer goes into sleep/hibernation the monitors turn off but the PC fails to shutdown and the system will not restore when I move the mouse or tap the keyboard. Similarly, when I shutdown the computer it fails to power down and I must use the power
    button for a hard shutdown.

Any ideas?

BluePhoenix_Engineering, Dec 20, 2017
  4. XPS 8910 tower sleeps but when keyboard/mouse click its shutdown

Hi ezx8. Welcome to the TenForums @ezx8

Would you say this happens after a short sleep or a longer sleep, say hibernation. Not sure hibernation value you may be using.

As a quick test have you tried disabling hibernation?

Right click start, command prompt (admin) or Power Shell(admin) type

powercfg -h off

To enable replace the word off with the word on.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  5. ezx8 Win User
    Hi Ken,
    Thank you for your reply, regardless short or long sleep, as soon as I hit the keyboard or click on the mouse its shutdown the computer.
    I will try the command and post the finding.

Thanks again.

6. ezx8 Win User
    Thanks Ken, after run the above command and I put the computer to sleep and it went to sleep and after a minute when I start tapping mouse/keyboard then it sounded like its waking up but its shut down the computer. arg!!!!!

It doesn't matter if its a short or long time sleep... its just shutdown my machine after I put that to sleep.

7. Well not that it any comfort but lots of issues like yours on Google.

When did your problem start?

In looking at the files available it appears this is a newer machine. Do you use the Dell Update Application. I would use it and a new version came out just last week. Let it take a kick at updating your drivers.

I would also look down the list of files available and cross reference them to the drivers being used by your system. What I thinking is has a driver been mis-identified and you are using either the wrong driver or a basic Microsoft driver.

One last item, I read on at least three threads that updating the BIOS fixed things. It is listed as "Urgent". If you do decide to update your BIOS, and this is solely your decision, please ensure your power is stable (not during a storm) and be patient. BIOS updates carry some risk, I haven't had one go bad but I'm patient.

Hopefully the Dell Update App handles for you.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 20, 2017
  8. ezx8 Win User

my machine is pretty old and the problem started recently i must have screwed up some setting but couldn't able to figured what exactly I did, my bios is up-to-date and my drivers as well...

any other setting you think of?

9. Well there is always the in place repair / upgrade. If you are not already on V1709 this will act as an upgrade, FYI. Otherwise it is a repair.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Before doing that though you might try reset your power plan to its defaults, restarting and seeing if that changes things.

When you awake the machine have you tried power button, quick click?

You could also enter your bios and load defaults.

The in place repair / upgrade is supposed to be a non destructive process. That said I always recommend people make a back up of their data.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. XPS 8910 tower sleeps but when keyboard/mouse click its shutdown - Similar Threads - XPS 8910 tower

2. doesnt sleep when i click sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    doesnt sleep when i click sleep: when i press sleep it just turns the display off and i went into advanced power options and the sleep button is supposed to make my PC sleep submitted by /u/SparklesTheT_Rex [link] [comments]...
  3. Windows 11 Shutdown when in sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Shutdown when in sleep: I got a new Dell m15 with windows 11 4 months ago, ever since I got this, I have had the issue of unexpected system shut downsonce a day atleast.I have searched a lot. Haven't been able to solve it.There are couple of solutions related to Hibernation option in advanced Power...
  4. Windows 11 Shutdown when in sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Shutdown when in sleep: I got a new Dell m15 with windows 11 4 months ago, ever since I got this, I have had the issue of unexpected system shut downsonce a day atleast.I have searched a lot. Haven't been able to solve it.There are couple of solutions related to Hibernation option in advanced Power...
  5. Mouse Double-Clicks on Single Click After Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Double-Clicks on Single Click After Sleep: Very strange and specific issue. Specifically every time I wake the PC up from sleep, the mouse double clicks on single inputs. The only solution is to unplug and reconnect the usb. Issue occurs on Windows 10 x64....
  6. Mouse Double-Clicks on Single Click After Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse Double-Clicks on Single Click After Sleep: Very strange and specific issue. Specifically every time I wake the PC up from sleep, the mouse double clicks on single inputs. The only solution is to unplug and reconnect the usb. Issue occurs on Windows 10 x64....
  7. Mouse Double-Clicks on Single Click After Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. mouse clicks right on its own sometimes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mouse clicks right on its own sometimes: The mouse clicks on right by itself sometimes ------- need a fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-clicks-right-on-its-own-sometimes/547e9f30-b865-447e-80ab-0c42e5b8ae29
  9. PC tower is not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC tower is not going to sleep: Hello! I need help with my PC. Normally when I idle my PC for my set timer of 30 mins. My monitor and tower will turn off. No fans running, no lights on. But yesterday i noticed that my tower was still on but my monitor is off when i got back 2 hours later. My fans are still...
  10. computer restarts after shutdown with mouse or when it goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    computer restarts after shutdown with mouse or when it goes to sleep: when my computer goes to sleep it restarts itself a couple second later...the PC revs up very loud and I have to force shutdown...any ideas folks.. 163088