Windows 10: XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903

Discus and support XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a brand-new computer w/Windows 10, version 1903. None of the .xps files transferred over from my old computer will open now. Microsoft XPS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevie, Dec 9, 2019.

1. stevie Win User

XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903

I have a brand-new computer w/Windows 10, version 1903. None of the .xps files transferred over from my old computer will open now.

Microsoft XPS Document Writer is listed under Settings / Printers & Scanners. However, if I put XPS Viewer or XPS Document Writer in the search box, it comes up with nothing. If I go into a Word document, it lists Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 as a printer option.

Another site instructed to add XPS Viewer through Settings / Apps & Features, but it came up "no features to install". I'm very confused - thanks for your help.

:)

stevie, Dec 9, 2019
  2. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903 :)

jaydeee, Dec 9, 2019
  3. mQ573 Win User
    XP being able to discover W10 computers on my private network

It looks like a firewall issue on the XP machine. Did you enable Files & Printers sharing?
    On the W10, open a command prompt and type
    NET VIEW
    You should see a list of connected machines.
    Type PING (name of XP machine)
    Do the same on the XP machine but PING the W10

mQ573, Dec 9, 2019
  4. XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903

New Security PopUp after v1903 update

Thanks for these. I see these solutions will exclude checks on all files, including exe - and will generate a message in the Notifications.

It seems that this is an unusual step to be needed when upgrading to v1903.

In this article, How to disable Open File security warning on Windows 10 , Solution 3 suggests that there is a registry key, LowRiskFileTypes, that would
    exclude files from the Security Warning?

If that key was previously used and was removed in v1903, that would explain the issue more reasonably.

This seems to be a much more targeted solution and allows the user to specify which type files to exclude (images only, for example).

Here's another post, same solution: How to disable "Publisher couldn't be verified" message in Windows 10

Tx_78701_John, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903

1. XPS files not opening on new W10 computer, v1903 - Similar Threads - XPS files opening

2. Intro To New W10 Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Intro To New W10 Computer: Unfortunately, the user manual for my machine contains only 'how to upgrade' info. Something I would expect as an appendix/addendum to a 'user/operations' manual. I have contacted manufacturer to supply a more comprehensive document (akin to an auto manual). Hopefully this...
  3. xps viewer for W10 2204.

in Windows 10 Customization
    xps viewer for W10 2204.: I have just installed a new machine and updated it to w10 ver 2004 but cant find xps viewer. Where is it hiding? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xps-viewer-for-w10-2204/4af0138d-7672-4d79-a2e0-ac6f5eb12b35
  4. exe files not opening on W10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    exe files not opening on W10: When I try to open System Mechanic I get the following message:the specified procedure could not be found. Also will not open any downloaded .exe programs or files. Any suggestions? Running W10 with all latest updates....
  5. Can't open .xps files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open .xps files: I have a new computer w/Windows 10 version 1903. My .xps files won't open. I followed the instructions from Ten Forums (https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/add-or-remove-xps-viewer-app-in-windows-10.16979/) on installing the XPS Viewer. But I've tried this several...
  6. Windows defender fast scan on w10 v1903

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender fast scan on w10 v1903: Good day Has anyone noticed that fast scan (or quick scan) isn't fast anymore? From less than two minutes on v1809 it has just gone to over five minutes for v1903. Anyone noticing this? 137703
  7. W10 v1903

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 v1903: I have updated 3 PCs to W10 version 1903. Now in personalisation there are problems with changed or setting colours. Furthermore it is now not possible to change background or text colours in command prompt. Can you help please? DaveJ...
  8. V1903 effects on Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    V1903 effects on Computer: More of a comment than a question. Installed V1903 non 6-7-2019 then found out the usage of the HDD rose from about 60 gb to over 340 gb.The capacity of the HDD is 450 gb. The 60 gb has been study for years, and only after installing V1903 did it increase. My microsoft disk...
  9. w10 v1903 regressions

in Windows 10 Support
    w10 v1903 regressions: Hello. I am running w10 v1903 [18362.116] and I have noticed that monitor calibration profile get disabled after exitting any fullscreen program (games for instance). I think Microsoft is addressing this issue in an incoming patch (currently tested by insiders). I have also...
  10. Moving W10 to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving W10 to a new computer: Hi all, I'm about to purchase a new PC desktop computer for photo editing, general MS Office and web surfing. I already have an SSD boot drive with W10 Pro x64 installed and activated and a bootable USB stick. The hardware of the new PC will be completely different to the...