Windows 10: X's on some icons

Discus and support X's on some icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This morning when I turned on the pc I found gray x's on some of the icons on my desktop. I used carbonite to download files last night, could this be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JoeRobertsTJ, Jun 18, 2020.

1. X's on some icons

This morning when I turned on the pc I found gray x's on some of the icons on my desktop. I used carbonite to download files last night, could this be why they appeared?

:)

JoeRobertsTJ, Jun 18, 2020

2. no battery level icon on the taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Please perform the below steps and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

Step 1:

Click Notifications and actions. Click Select Which icons appear on the taskbar link.

Turn the switch next to Power icon to On position.

Step 2:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Anusha Verma, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 18, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

X's on some icons

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

X's on some icons

1. X's on some icons - Similar Threads - X's icons

2. I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They...: I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They go away when I refresh the desktop. I uninstalled one drive long ago, and I have deleted and refreshed the icon cache. How do I stop this happening? Thanks....
  3. I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They...: I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They go away when I refresh the desktop. I uninstalled one drive long ago, and I have deleted and refreshed the icon cache. How do I stop this happening? Thanks....
  4. I frequently have x's, circles, or check marks appear on my desktop icons Windows 10 They...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. A white X on battery icon and can't open Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A white X on battery icon and can't open Settings: Like the title says, there's a white x icon on the battery but I can still plug in and charge my laptop. Also, I can't open the settings, it just immediately closes and I can't write anything in the search bar. Can anyone help?My laptop is IdeaPad 5 15ALC05....
  6. A white X on battery icon and can't open Settings

A white X on battery icon and can't open Settings: Like the title says, there's a white x icon on the battery but I can still plug in and charge my laptop. Also, I can't open the settings, it just immediately closes and I can't write anything in the search bar. Can anyone help?My laptop is IdeaPad 5 15ALC05....
  7. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X In My Lower Left Side Of My Computer Screen .I Can't Get Rid Of It By Right Clicking The Mouse Go Right Through It .Is There A Way To Remove It ?...
  8. Speaker Icon With Red X

Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X In My Lower Left Side Of My Computer Screen .I Can't Get Rid Of It By Right Clicking The Mouse Go Right Through It .Is There A Way To Remove It ?...
  9. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Speaker Icon With Red X

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speaker Icon With Red X: Hello I Have A Speaker Icon With A Red X Above The Windows Search Box How Do I Get Rid Of It ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-icon-with-red-x/5fee0f10-4bb1-4d90-9746-e25825a6dab7