Windows 10: Yahoo no longer supports IE 11

Discus and support Yahoo no longer supports IE 11 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Noticed on my laptop (first one I updated to the Anniversary update) my email is set to "basic" with no extra's or other bells and whistles and can't... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by CmmTch, Aug 7, 2016.

1. CmmTch Win User

Yahoo no longer supports IE 11

Noticed on my laptop (first one I updated to the Anniversary update) my email is set to "basic" with no extra's or other bells and whistles and can't be changed. When I open it from my browser it comes up with a message that I need to run a supported browser. I clicked on the FAQ's and another information link at the bottom of my email inbox page and that when I found that IE11 is no longer supported with security and other improvement updates.

I use My Yahoo as my home page and Yahoo webmail through my ISP ATT, used Edge to check things out on the upgraded laptop and it works ok, yahoo webmail works as it should. It was a surprise (not really with some of the shenanigans that have went on with forcing W10 on users) that IE is now unsupported.

There are many alternative browsers around, I think I'll give Edge another try and see if it's moved forward enough to be "ready for prime time" When I was on the insider program it definitely wasn't ready yet, tried again after RTM when I left insiders and still the same. Edge just wasn't ready yet, it seemed to be faster, but had far less features than IE.

I have two more of my computers and both of my wife's to update yet. I do have one done so I can give it another try, I'm still going to upgrade all the computers, just might not be right away now.

:)

CmmTch, Aug 7, 2016
  2. skp20040 Win User

Sept 2016 windows update

Hi, I too am having issues since their latest updates, IE11 is now very unstable in general and I have Yahoo as a homepage and it appears to be no longer compatible since updates have been installed , yahoo themselves are advising people to use Firefox
    and not IE . Also one thing some people may not be aware of is adblocking , since the latest W10 updates Adblock Plus appears no longer to be compatible with either IE 11 or Firefox and causes crashing and freezing there are a lost of posts about it on the
    Adblock forum , uninstalling it does see Firefox and IE stop crashing, though IE is still not as good as it was, one wonders if Microsoft want to push us all to Edge so will not fix IE ? and many of us cannot use Edge as it is not compatible with addons and
    security so is useless in the workplace . I have found Del Ad Adblcoker is woring with IE 11 and Firefox so have installed that instead

skp20040, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Yahoo email typing lag

Problem: When typing Yahoo emails, the type either lags and/or misses a typed character. This problem existed on my Dell desktop with windows 7, IE 10, then IE 11 and now with a new desktop and keyboard running win10 and either edge or IE 11. The same problem
    exists on my Toshiba laptop using win 10 and Edge and IE. When I switch to Firefox, there is no problem on either the desktop or laptop. I have been told by a Yahoo tech support person that the problem is with IE. It sure looks like based on the changes I
    have made. Microsoft support said it was a problem with Dell drivers (that was before I purchased a new computer).

If this is an IE problem, I would think it would be prevalent enough that we would have heard more about it and that it would be a priority with Microsoft.

Any factual info is appreciated.

not2old4crusin, Aug 7, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

IE is still in 10 and it's still supported with security updates. MS is not going to do anymore development to it and in some time in the future it will be dropped.

Screenshot..

Yahoo no longer supports IE 11 [​IMG]

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 7, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    The title of this thread is absolutely not true. To quote Microsoft

Source

Older versions of ie are no longer supported, but ie 11 is and will continue to be.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
  6. DavidY Win User
    Actually it's not quite that simple.
    Vista is still in support for a little while longer (until April 2017 I believe), and Vista won't run IE10 or IE11.

So the latest version Vista supports is IE9, and therefore IE9 is still supported, but only on Vista and also some versions of Windows Server.

IE10 is still supported if you use the original version of Windows Server 2012 (which corresponds to Windows 8, as opposed to Windows 8.1)

Even IE7 and IE8 are supported in Windows Embedded.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ernet-explorer

DavidY, Aug 7, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    The original question was about Windows 10.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
  8. CmmTch Win User

Title was unintentionally misleading, I will update it. As I looked into it farther it appears the "Browser no longer supported" message is coming from Yahoo. The first snip is from the message on my email page.

The second one is from the help page I went to after clicking the "Upgrade your browser" message in the snip above. On that page clicking on the "Help" link at the bottom of this page https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-d...pressions=true brings me to a page with snip below

So apparently in my case what I'm seeing tells me that IE11 in Yahoo web mail is considered an unsupported browser.

CmmTch, Aug 7, 2016
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I would assume that Yahoo wants its users to make use of a browser they know is getting security updates that they find appropriate. And IE is not up to par for them.

BunnyJ, Aug 7, 2016
  10. CmmTch Win User
    It appears I went off half cocked *Redface before looking into it a little farther, I was wrong.

I did try and change the thread title and don't know how, I was able to change the subject line but not the thread title, I'll mark it solved to limit my embarrassment, in the words of the immortal Emily Litella (RIP Gilda Radner) nevermind

CmmTch, Aug 7, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Good to hear that it's a non issue. *Smile

BunnyJ, Aug 7, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    It's not that big a deal, don't worry. See if you like the title better now.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
  13. CmmTch Win User

Thank you sir *Smile much better, both my other computers still on 1511 no problems, just the one older laptop updated to 1607. I'll probably start trying Edge as my default browser on the 1607 update.

CmmTch, Aug 7, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    You're very welcome. I use about 3 browsers including ie. I think a lot of the messages like that are because the sites don't want to support ie. Just my opinion.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Aug 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Yahoo no longer supports IE 11 - Similar Threads - Yahoo longer supports

2. Windows 11 no longer supported on my device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 no longer supported on my device: Hi! I have had this device for about a year and two months now. The device is the HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-dk1xxx. It originally had windows 10, but in February of last year got the windows 11 update. I have had no updating issues until later on using windows 11. A month...
  3. Microsoft 365 will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11)

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft 365 will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11): [ATTACH] Today, we’re announcing that Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) by this time next year. Beginning November 30, 2020, the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support IE 11. Update: The Microsoft...
  4. Windows 7 and IE 8 not supported

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 and IE 8 not supported: I was gifted an older Gateway computer recently. Before doing so, the previous user reverted the OS from Windows 10 back to windows 7 and wiped all the programs he had installed, leaving Internet Explorer 8 as the only browser. Can't say why, I guess he thought he was being...
  5. IE Yahoo Email logon automatically opens Edge? :(

in Browsers and Email
    IE Yahoo Email logon automatically opens Edge? :(: . *Eek Today on this laptop, I opened IE and tried to log into yahoo mail. I had just yesterday been forced to accept win 10 ver 2004 (autodownloaded and installed) and now am unable to access yahoo mail without it automatically opening edge (with IE saying this website...
  6. How to get Yahoo support

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to get Yahoo support: Please, can anyone tell me how to contact Yahoo Mail support in order to correct my contacts list. I've tried every source I could find online without success. All I want to do is edit, change, delete or add addresses to the list I've had for years. I use basic Yahoo but...
  7. IE 11 not supporting window.parent.postMessage

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    IE 11 not supporting window.parent.postMessage: Hi, In IE 11, window.parent.postmessage is not working. I am trying to set the access token in iframe sign in and sent it to parent window. Please let me know the solution or any alternative methods. localStorage.setItem('access_token',arc_access_token);...
  8. IE 11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IE 11: I have tried to contact Microsoft support about this issue but always go through the same thing. I have chatted with someone 4 times already about this issue. Is there a link to redownload IE 11 on windows 10. It is non-existent on the system ( have checked 4 times...
  9. yahoo support

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    yahoo support: Hi, I use yahoo mail as a secondary email client. For the past month or so I am having issues with it. When i try to read some emails I cant access it. Or other times when I click on it the mouse pointer will sit an spin. Other times i will be reading an email and when i am...
  10. Cannot access Yahoo mail unless I delete history IE 11

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot access Yahoo mail unless I delete history IE 11: Hello! I receive many e-mails in my Yahoo account every day since I am subscribed to many threads in this forum. Recently I noticed that I cannot access Yahoo mail. In Yahoo support they suggest deleting the browsing history. I did it and was able to access my e-mails...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. yahoo no longer supports internet explorer

2. what no longer supports ie11