Windows 10: Yahoo says IE11 is an 'unsupported browser' since Anniversary Update

Discus and support Yahoo says IE11 is an 'unsupported browser' since Anniversary Update in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have several Yahoo email accounts I use for different purposes. I generally like to stay logged in, so I use a different browser for each. I use IE11... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Bree, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Bree New Member

Yahoo says IE11 is an 'unsupported browser' since Anniversary Update

I have several Yahoo email accounts I use for different purposes. I generally like to stay logged in, so I use a different browser for each. I use IE11 for one account I infrequently check. Since the Anniversary Update (1607) Yahoo Mail reports:
    It's been a while since I last checked that account, but I'm fairly sure I got 'the full Yahoo experience' with 1511. Can anyone confirm that?

(edit: spelling)

:)

2. AnnD0523 Win User

Running IE11. Seeing message to "Upgrade your browser"

Sorry but that didn't work so I went to IE11/tools/security/trusted sites and entered the Microsoft Account page. When I try to open, it shows "unsupported browser". I also tried to put it under security/local intranet sites but still won't open.

In addition, under Internet Explorer Downloads (a page I was sent to), I downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary Update but still did nothing for the IE11.

So, I'm back to the beginning. Edge opens Microsoft Account, IE11 does indirectly but only by going to the page that says I have to download the upgrade of IE11 and I think I did that with the Anniversary Update. Why is the account page shown as an unsupported
    browser in IE11?

Any other suggestions on what to try next?

AnnD0523, Sep 11, 2016
  3. SteveSePa Win User
    i have internet explorer 11 but yahoo mail says i have an unsupported browser and says to upgrade?

For Yahoo email on internet explorer 11 on my windows 10 laptop it says You’re seeing Basic Mail because you’re using an unsupported Internet browser. Upgrade your browser or get the mobile app for the full Yahoo experience.

I have ie11 and have checked get automatic updates. this basic version of yahoo mail: I can only see 25 emails at a time and the notepad is gone.

SteveSePa, Sep 11, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

5. Bree New Member
    Tried Compatibility View - made no difference.

6. lx07 Win User
    It was saying the reverse - to check that "Use Microsoft compatibility lists" and "Display Intranet Sites in Compatibility View" are unchecked (they are checked by default for me) and you don't have yahoo.com listed.

7. Bree New Member
    Yes, it works with "Use Microsoft compatibility lists" and "Display Intranet Sites in Compatibility View" unchecked.

I'd still like to know if works without having to change the defaults for anyone still on 1511. I'm more interested in determining if this is (yet another) glitch in the AU.

8. lx07 Win User

Can't help there as I'm using Server 2016 preview at the moment - hopefully there is someone who hasn't upgraded...

9. Hi:

I don't use yahoo mail, but yahoo.com resolves just fine under IE11 (default settings) and Win10 Pro (64-bit) 1511.

Hope this helps,

MM

MoxieMomma, Sep 11, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    Thanks MoxieMomma. It's only Yahoo Mail that complains about an unsupported browser. Most of Yahoo.com and other linked services like Flickr work just fine in 1607 (as they did in 1511). News however does say...
    ...which seems to be the same problem as it is also fixed as per lx07's instructions.

additional: @MoxieMomma does News show this message in 1511?

11. Bree New Member
    Well, I've been able to confirm that for myself today. I have a spare laptop that I've kept on Windows 7, but just before the free upgrade ended I upgraded it to 1511 so it could claim its digital licence (just in case I ever change my mind). Now I wanted to keep its original install of W7 unmolested so I cloned its HDD and upgraded that instead. Afterwards I put back original drive which carried on as if nothing had happened.

For reasons unconnected with this thread I temporarily put the clone drive back in. While there, I had a chance to check this 'Yahoo - unsupported browser' issue. Sure enough, Yahoo had no complaints about 1511's IE. Seems this is another one to add to the list of 'things that broke in AU'.

Thanks to lx07 I know a fix now, but I think I'll leave it 'broke' for a while. Let's see how many cumulative update it takes for MS to get round to fixing it. *Smile

12. Bree New Member
    Fate has a cruel sense of humour. Many are reporting that the new Cumulative Update KB3189866 is getting stuck at 95% downloaded. They are turning to the Microsoft Update Catalog to download it manually, only to fine MSUC doesn't recognise their IE as a supported browser! Cumulative Update KB3189866 Windows 10 build 14393.187
    Such sweet irony...

Update: and KB3189866 didn't even include a fix for this *cry

Thema:

1. Yahoo says IE11 is an 'unsupported browser' since Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Yahoo says IE11

2. Unsupported browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsupported browser: Please help Unsupported browser message keeps popping up when I use the chrome browser on Facebook games I have a laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsupported-browser/f7c26a4f-8501-45a8-86dc-1ba840912610
  3. Unsupported browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsupported browser: Please help Unsupported browser message keeps popping up when I use the chrome browser on Facebook games I have a laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unsupported-browser/f7c26a4f-8501-45a8-86dc-1ba840912610
  4. Yahoo mail will not sync since Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Yahoo mail will not sync since Windows update: Windows outlook no longer will allow yahoo to work on PC Go through the update process and agree and it says it is fixing it but then gives code 0x8019019a Please help. Androids are working Come on Microsoft what is going on? Get tired of every time you update I get issues....
  5. Yahoo browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Yahoo browser: Hi, I am having a problem with my Google browser. Yahoo browser keeps coming on and I do not use Yahoo. It pops up when I turn my laptop on. Does anyone know how to get this off my computer?...
  6. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  7. Those that use IE11 on Yahoo and have updated to the AU

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Those that use IE11 on Yahoo and have updated to the AU: Found this tidbit of info on a Yahoo forum while looking for a possible fix, workaround, something. I was not far from reverting back to 10586 1511 on three laptops, using the fix posted below worked immediately, no reboot, no restart IE, just make the change, close the box...
  8. Problem with digital certificates since Anniversary Update

in Browsers and Email
    Problem with digital certificates since Anniversary Update: HI Since performing the Anniversary Update 3 days ago, I have been unable to access my digital certificates used for identification and signing emails. When I try to access a site that I need the certificate for, I now get the message that no certificate has been received...
  9. Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update: I keep getting the odd blue screen since the anniversary update. I think it's network related, the network driver. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it keeps happening. Any ideas? Attached is the zip file as per rules of posting on this section. 61175
  10. Running out of memory since Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running out of memory since Anniversary update: When I play DDO, I also have chrome and Explorer open. This was never a problem until the anniversary update. Now I get screen messages saying I need to close something because I am running out of memory. Task manager shows memory usage at 89 - 91%. Even after I closed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. You’re seeing Classic Mail because you’re using an unsupported Internet browser. Upgrade your browser for the full att.net Yahoo Mail experience.

2. yahoo classic mail because unsupported internet browser