Windows 10: Year-old laptop suddenly slow

Discus and support Year-old laptop suddenly slow in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an Asus TUF fx505 gaming laptop with Windows 10. It's run games like Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege fine since I got it a year ago, until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PlatypusVenom0, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Year-old laptop suddenly slow

I have an Asus TUF fx505 gaming laptop with Windows 10. It's run games like Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege fine since I got it a year ago, until last Thursday. I don't know how much of this is relevant, but I'll give you the full story anyways:

I downloaded Rocket League from the Epic Games store on Thursday and tried to connect my Nintendo Switch pro controller via bluetooth. It connected, but Rocket League only accepted inputs from a couple buttons for some reason. I alt-tabbed away from Rocket League and disconnected the controller, but Rocket League all but froze (very extreme lag) when I returned to it. I couldn't shut down the game or power off manually, so I did a hard shutoff for my laptop. My computer was still slow, so I uninstalled Rocket League. Ever since, my computer has been slow and unable to run intensive games like MHW or R6S. It has trouble running less intensive games like Phasmophobia if Discord or Google Chrome are open. My memory on Task Manager is usually 40-50% now with just Chrome, although I don't know what it used to be. Here's my Task Manager.

Yesterday I backed up my laptop with an external hard drive and did a Windows Fresh Start (keep files, reinstall Windows). Since then, I reinstalled Chrome, Discord, Steam, and Monster Hunter to test it out, but it's still just as slow and can't run Monster Hunter. I haven't restored the backup I made.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

submitted by /u/PlatypusVenom0
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PlatypusVenom0, Nov 9, 2020

2. Lenovo laptop suddenly slow

I have a new Lenovo E580 laptop (bought January 2019) which suddenly started to run very slow. I have especially noticed it with build times in Visual Studio and loading times for a local website in IIS.

I have tried to reinstall Windows 10 Pro by formatting the entire computer but it’s still slow.

Laptop spec:

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    • CPU: i7-8550U 2.00GHz
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 512 SSD

Software where I really notice the slowness:

• Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.3.9
    • IIS to Windows 10

I have tried to setup an older laptop with the same software installed as the new laptop, to compare the loading times. The old laptop has a very similar spec. (i7-4700MQ 2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD). The load time for a local website on the new laptop is 78 seconds where on the old is 30 seconds. On the new laptop it used to be around 30 seconds as well.

It’s not just Visual Studio and IIS that is slow it’s the entire laptop. I thought it would be fixed by reinstalling Windows but there were no improvements. I suspect it’s a hardware issue, but I don’t get any errors, and everything looks fine.

Does anyone have suggestions to what I can try to pinpoint this issue or is it better to contact Lenovo support, as the new laptop is still under warranty?

Høgsdal, Nov 9, 2020
  3. MissNiss Win User
    laptop suddenly so slow

my laptop has suddenly slowed down to a crawl. I cant do anything with it being as slow as it is.

MissNiss, Nov 9, 2020
  4. Year-old laptop suddenly slow

(Windows 10) Everything suddenly become slow in my laptop

Help needed,

my laptop is 2 year old now, i was casually doing my thing download game and play game at the same the respond was still fast when open file, transfer file , open app and restart but suddenly it become slow sometime i cant open the file/app, restart take
    hours , transfer take hours. I try following the tip to make my laptop performance faster but it get worse.

is there a way to fix it?

Sir.Debiluk, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

Year-old laptop suddenly slow

1. Year-old laptop suddenly slow - Similar Threads - old laptop suddenly

2. Sudden Slow Laptop, HELP!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden Slow Laptop, HELP!: So basically, I have a laptop that obviously runs with Windows and it seems to be kinda broken? Let me explain. It all started when I played a video game and suddenly my fps dropped to 1. I thought, okay, that's a lag spike, I'll wait but no, it wasn't. I waited and waited...
  3. Laptop suddenly slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop suddenly slow: Laptop suddenly slow when it was working fine yesterday. Noticed it when I exited a game and it was taking longer for the laptop to respond. It was slow last time but fixed it by increasing disk space but now it's slow again. I already tried sfc scannow dism restore health,...
  4. Laptop suddenly slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop suddenly slow: Laptop suddenly slow when it was working fine yesterday. Noticed it when I exited a game and it was taking longer for the laptop to respond. It was slow last time but fixed it by increasing disk space but now it's slow again. I already tried sfc scannow dism restore health,...
  5. Laptop suddenly slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Laptop sudden slow speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop sudden slow speed: I was playing video games yesterday and my frames suddenly dropped to around 50-60. I usually get 200+ in game. I quit the game and restarted it, however, I was unable to launch the game. I tried restarting my whole laptop and it didn't work. My whole computer operation...
  7. Laptop sudden slow speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop sudden slow speed: I was playing video games yesterday and my frames suddenly dropped to around 50-60. I usually get 200+ in game. I quit the game and restarted it, however, I was unable to launch the game. I tried restarting my whole laptop and it didn't work. My whole computer operation...
  8. Laptop suddenly slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop suddenly slow: Hello all my main laptop has suddenly started to run very very slow and clicking on the start bar on the icons takes foreveer for the app to start up which is very unusual because it normally starts up and runs really fast. I have run a malware scan with my security suite but...
  9. why me laptop is running slow its 1 year old

in Windows 10 Customization
    why me laptop is running slow its 1 year old: laptop runs slow how to fixs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-me-laptop-is-running-slow-its-1-year-old/b923c9d5-8116-413d-b9d2-30fc078e1fc1
  10. 4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated: Have had a Dell laptop for 4 years, running Windows 10 and suddenly windows is showing as "not activated" and I cannot use Office. The activation troubleshooter showed this error message: "We found a Windows 10 Home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Home....