Windows 10: Yellow padlock icon

Discus and support Yellow padlock icon in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Today when I started my computer I saw a yellow padlock icon on my taskbar . When I clicked on it it disappeared. What is it and will it cause any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MonikaSrivastava1, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Yellow padlock icon

Today when I started my computer I saw a yellow padlock icon on my taskbar . When I clicked on it it disappeared. What is it and will it cause any problem?

:)

MonikaSrivastava1, Mar 10, 2022

2. Padlock and Yellow Exclaimation!

What if we dont remove the padlock and yellow exclaimation? Is it harmful or risky for data loss?

OR , is there any other process to normalise the system without turning bitlocker ON and then OFF ??

Sayan DasLX, Mar 10, 2022
  3. sargan Win User
    All saved file now have padlock icon

I did ... and it works .... but only on folder/file at that time.
    New folders files still get saved with box ticked.

I just went through the tutorial again step by step ....... I can untick the 'Encrypt contents....'
    I click OK ..... box closes .... but when I then try to do the last step 'Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files'

Yellow padlock icon [​IMG]

That fails with error (see attached)

I have tried 'ignore' then it rattles through applying attributes to a load of files.

- - - Updated - - -

additional information ....
    Just download new zipped folder .. you can see it does not have the icon issue when in Download folder.

It does though appear as soon as I move to desktop ... and as before has set attribute to 'encrypt'

sargan, Mar 10, 2022
  4. sargan Win User

Yellow padlock icon

Desktop Icons have padlock symbol

W10 21H1

(Hope this is correct sub-forum)

For the past month all new files I save to desktop have a padlock icon on top right, all files more than a month old do not have this.

I can open, edit etc., without issue, but why is this happening. Is it to do with permissions …. I am owner & admin, this is a solo PC not part of any group.

I have noticed that if I 'right-click' on files with the padlock ther is an option "File Ownership > personal" and personal shows an open 'blue lock symbol'

If I select this symbol it then removes the 'padlock'
    So I'm guessing there is a glocal persmissions set wrongly somehere ?

I did try a search here … found the following thread …. But when I go to RegEdit there is no entry for Shell Icons, so I followed step to put in new entry & string value ….. but it has made no difference

Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10

sargan, Mar 10, 2022
Thema:

Yellow padlock icon

1. Yellow padlock icon - Similar Threads - Yellow padlock icon

2. JPG files are with padlock icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG files are with padlock icons: JPG files are with padlock icons after reinstall of windows 10 pro. The files were applied security attributes before reinstallation. When trying to change the permission now, I get the message " Files cannot be decrypted"How can I remove the lock icons? Please help...
  3. Yellow padlock icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Yellow padlock icon: Today when I started my computer I saw a yellow padlock icon on my taskbar . When I clicked on it it disappeared. What is it and will it cause any problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yellow-padlock-icon/c3f7a0d6-7f16-47fa-9caf-400b06d79946
  4. Yellow padlock icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Yellow padlock icon: Today when I started my computer I saw a yellow padlock icon on my taskbar . When I clicked on it it disappeared. What is it and will it cause any problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/yellow-padlock-icon/c3f7a0d6-7f16-47fa-9caf-400b06d79946
  5. Yellow Padlock to right of new file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Yellow Padlock to right of new file: W10 21H1About 4 weeks ago all new files I save now have a padlock in top right corner, which I understand is linked to encryption. or permissionsI have not knowingly requested to turn 'On' encryption.I tried Googling and was told to turn off padlock overlay ... I did this all...
  6. Yellow Padlock to right of new file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Yellow Padlock to right of new file: W10 21H1About 4 weeks ago all new files I save now have a padlock in top right corner, which I understand is linked to encryption. or permissionsI have not knowingly requested to turn 'On' encryption.I tried Googling and was told to turn off padlock overlay ... I did this all...
  7. Yellow Padlock to right of new file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Padlock Icon on file

Padlock Icon on file: How do I remove the padlock icon off of my file? I remember that I put the lock icon on my file using the command prompt and I want to remove the lock off of my file or folder using the command prompt but forgot the cmd. I think the padlock icon means it won't share the file...
  9. Big Yellow Padlock symbol on files

Big Yellow Padlock symbol on files: I have seen a few topics with this question, but no fixes to the problem... On my WD Elements external drive, way back years ago I thought it would be a good idea to encrypt some of the files and folders. Not sure why.. Anyway, fast forward a good decade or so, and now I...
  10. Padlock and Yellow Exclaimation!

Padlock and Yellow Exclaimation!: What if we dont remove the padlock and yellow exclaimation? Is it harmful or risky for data loss? OR , is there any other process to normalise the system without turning bitlocker ON and then OFF ??...