Windows 10: Yet again Microsoft have changed my Desktop Icons to a different order.

Discus and support Yet again Microsoft have changed my Desktop Icons to a different order. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; `This seems to happen after upgrades. It creates massive work to put back. Why has this known error not been fixed. The word "useless" is appropriate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Barry H White, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Yet again Microsoft have changed my Desktop Icons to a different order.

`This seems to happen after upgrades. It creates massive work to put back. Why has this known error not been fixed. The word "useless" is appropriate for Microsoft.

:)

Barry H White, Feb 11, 2019

2. Cant change order of items in Jumplists?

Hard to grasp what you are talking about. No matter how much I press Desktop icon, it still stays at the bottom in the Jump List, no matter what. Can you describe step by step. In your screenshot it is Desktop. It is different from what I talking about:
    Pinned folders order in the Jump list for File Explorer that is pinned to my Task bar.

VladimirTimakov1, Feb 11, 2019
  3. MCK
    mck Win User
    Cannot change desktop icon

Sometimes a desktop icon changes from what it was to a plain white folder. Might be something I did but not sure what.

To change it to the icon I want, I go:
    1. Rt-click icon > Properties > Change icon
    2. I select the icon I want from the thumbnails of icons.
    3. Click OK
    4. Click Apply
    But the icon does not change. It just stays looking like a white folder.
    HOWEVER, if I pin the icon to the taskbar, the icon on the taskbar does look like the icon I selected in step-2. So the change is registered with Win10 but the icon on the desktop just doesn't change.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. Yet again Microsoft have changed my Desktop Icons to a different order.

Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Yet again Microsoft have changed my Desktop Icons to a different order.

1. Yet again Microsoft have changed my Desktop Icons to a different order. - Similar Threads - Yet again Microsoft

2. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  3. Desktop icons in alphabetical order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop icons in alphabetical order: Continuation of: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icons-in-alphabetical-order/51ec5e2d-7dd2-499d-ac76-d7f1c29418a8This issue has dragged on for decades with the Windows desktop. I get having the "name space" icons in a separate top line group, but...
  4. How to have different icons for differnt desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to have different icons for differnt desktops: Hi there,I know you can have different backgrounds for different desktops but I'm wondering if it's possible yet to have different icons for different backgrounds for windows for example, having work-related icons for a work desktop and then games and miscellaneous on a...
  5. How to have different icons for differnt desktops

How to have different icons for differnt desktops: Hi there,I know you can have different backgrounds for different desktops but I'm wondering if it's possible yet to have different icons for different backgrounds for windows for example, having work-related icons for a work desktop and then games and miscellaneous on a...
  6. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  7. Different icons on Different desktops

Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  8. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  9. Different icons on Different desktops

Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  10. Order of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Order of desktop icons?: I have my desktop icons on this new Win 10 PC set to sort by Name. But they are not! [img] Why is that? Is there something obvious that I'm missing? And, supposing they were all sorted exactly by name, does that mean you'd view them by column? IOW, say A-M in the...