Windows 10: Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10

Discus and support Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the attached display snippet below you can see my problem. This is a snippet of the Display Settings screen; the different choices along the left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rollerdog, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Rollerdog Win User

Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10

In the attached display snippet below you can see my problem. This is a snippet of the Display Settings screen; the different choices along the left side. Clear example of the problem is the difference in the two f characters in the word Offline Maps. The first f has a thick vertical section and the second f has a very thin vertical section.

What is going on and how can I fix it?

Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10 [​IMG]

:)

Rollerdog, Apr 28, 2016

2. change font color

hello i wonder if i can type anything in another color except in the classic black.i don't mean in office.anything i type in win 10.can i change font color?also which is the default font in win 10?

vasilisnikolo, Apr 28, 2016
  3. AngelaBei Win User
    Using Win 10 How do I reset default display settings

On win 10, the control panel settings for font selection doesn't hold. It has to be reset with each restart. And what is automatically selected by Win changes inside different programs. Mail shows one size font, browser another etc. Win 10 is a huge time
    waster. Everyday there's something new that has to be re-adjusted.

AngelaBei, Apr 28, 2016
  4. NovHak Win User

I was about to tell you I have the same problem, but finally I was unable to find an example as clear as yours. Is your display at your screen's native resolution, or do you use some scaling ? I suppose that could explain things.

The Settings app is ugly anyway. I miss the good old control panel, as well as several options that were sacrificed on the "Let's run PCs like smartphones and touchpads" altar...

NovHak, Apr 28, 2016
  5. Rollerdog Win User
    I am running at native resolution (1920x1080) and at 100% (recommended).

Rollerdog, Apr 28, 2016
  6. NovHak Win User
    Finally, I was able to get something similar (look at the "p" on the first and second line) :

I took this from the "Accounts" settings screen (and yes my system is french). I personally don't care much about this since I'm not using the Settings app very much, and I suspect everyone is affected, hence the problem comes from Microsoft. Maybe changing the font would solve the problem but I'm not sure it's possible by clean methods and I doubt it would work anyway...

NovHak, Apr 28, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    It is called antialiasing - where screen font smoothing is performed by darkening pixels adjacent to dark parts of the character glyph, rather than just filling pixels with the fully saturated colour, or black, which just appear blocky.

Sometimes the effect is described as blurrry or fuzzy.

It is a compromise for text that could be viewed on a desktop monitor or a tablet or mobile screen (which can be rotated by 90 degrees), which have different coloured sub-pixel layouts.

It does not work perfectly on all screens at native resolutions. There have been lots of discussions with keywords like "blurry text" and "blurry fonts" on this forum in the past.

Fafhrd, Apr 28, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

In addition to what Fafhrd said, you can adjust this to some extent with Cleartype setting. Just type cleartype in search or Cortana and follow the instructions.

AndreTen, Apr 28, 2016
  9. msny Win User
    Yep and this is the major departure from windows 7.
    Also my biggest complaint about 10, its a tablet/small screen OS and made
    for it, not my 24" Asus monitor.

So be forewarned those thinking of the upgrade to 10. If your older
    like me, and need nice clean text, brightness and contrast it may be hard to get.

I use the Ceti Mint theme all because everthing is washed out and I cant change fonts.

Other then this, 10 is good, its my pet peev I guess.

10. Fafhrd Win User
    ClearType technology has been abandoned for "Modern" elements of Windows 8-10, as well as for some Microsoft Desktop application windows - in Internet Explorer, it has been particularly noticeable having popular comparators on the desktop, such as Firefox and Chrome browsers, with which many people have subjective differences on the clearer visual appearance of the same web pages with ClearType operative in FF and C and monochrome anti-aliasing in IE.

Perhaps as Windows 10 evolves, specific desktop enhancement features may be included to improve the experience on screen, without detracting from the mobile and tablet viewing experience for others using 10.

Certainly the graphics hardware capabilities of Desktop and laptops is generally much superior to that of many handheld devices, and Microsoft certainly owes the loyal desktop user base a better visual experience than that available to them since Windows 7 has been superseded.

Fafhrd, Apr 28, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Thanks for clearing this up for me (and us)! I didn't experience much problems with either of browsers you've mentioned, but remember some problems with FF, which were due to graphic card problems.

AndreTen, Apr 28, 2016
  12. msny Win User
    While that is a good explanation, it is also noteworthy that when a new OS
    is released the features set has always been deprecated to provide
    legacy support for current existing users.

As an applications programmer I deal with this all time. It's best practice
    NOT to remove features, unless there buggy or the tech has changed to make
    them totally unusable. It's an unwritten golden rule of programming.

In this case many users are left with little support for their desktop computers
    as far as application clarity. Not withstanding, the first job of any OS is to give the BEST
    experience out of the box. Windows 10 does not do that visually. If they now add this BASIC
    function back in now for fonts and better monitor/visual support, then it seems they rushed 10
    out the door.

It's just my pet peeve, otherwise I'm happy with everything else in 10.
    My 2 cents.

13. Fafhrd Win User

I don't see the features being removed - just the app(lication)s using a different rendering engine, which is generally usable for all display technologies, in other words, a compromise.

ClearType is still there for all the desktop applications that are able to take advantage of it, for example, Excel 97 is generally as crystal clear on Windows 10 as it was in all the versions, with some Windows version specific fonts since before and after Windows 95 shown here:

Remember, in 1992 folks were commonly using 14" curved screen CRT monitors with 3 colour dot shadow mask technology on their PCs, and SONY Trinitron flat screen monitors sold for a premium. Users needed to fit as much into limited screen real-estate as possible.

Contrast that with today, when users are often using 35" plus LCD TVs for their displays, with much larger physical pixels.

Fafhrd, Apr 29, 2016
  14. msny Win User
    Clear Type did not help in my case.
    Nice to have 35" of course, but if you cant get the best picture, contrast and fonts there
    a paperweight. While I understand this is subjective, its only my observation.

15. Rollerdog Win User
    There has been a lot of interesting discussion but no one has really addressed my actual problem (see original post). My wife:s win 10 laptop does not show this thick-thin (anti-aliasing) issue when looking at the Display Settings page; so why do have it? Does anyone have any actual suggestion to address this problem.

PS: I did a repair in-place re-installation of win 10 but problem remains the same.

Rollerdog, Apr 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Yet Another Font Issue in Win 10 - Similar Threads - Yet Another Font

2. Win 10 -> Win 11 Text/Font Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 -> Win 11 Text/Font Issues: Since updating to Windows 11 from Windows 10 I have a strange issue with text.It's hard to describe or even show on a picture/video but on the left side of my main display the text is just off, it looks like it is all set to be bold and in some applications it is really hard...
  3. Win 10 -> Win 11 Text/Font Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 -> Win 11 Text/Font Issues: Since updating to Windows 11 from Windows 10 I have a strange issue with text.It's hard to describe or even show on a picture/video but on the left side of my main display the text is just off, it looks like it is all set to be bold and in some applications it is really hard...
  4. Yet Another Issue with KB4601319 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Yet Another Issue with KB4601319 update: Yesterday, my brand new PC downloaded and installed the Windows Cumulative Update 20H2. Ever since then, it asks to be restarted to install the update and no matter how many times I restart, it continues with that nonsense. According to Windows properties, my current...
  5. Yet another BSOD...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Yet another BSOD...: I was just watching youtube and the audio just froze and I got a ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSOD. This happens often and I have no idea why. here's the latest minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajhgd4r9gQdOgdt3-nM5baIsv4-muw?e=Ji3ERe please help i keep getting BSODs...
  6. Another Win 10 reactivation issue.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Another Win 10 reactivation issue.: First things first: I have tried: 1.EVERYTHING listed in Windows troubleshooting guides. 2.I have contacted chat "support" ... all chat links now lead to the virtual agent. It's a robot that tells you to call. 3.I called the ONE support center number available. I have...
  7. Yet another DPC latency issue - Win 10 x 64 Pro - build 1803

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Yet another DPC latency issue - Win 10 x 64 Pro - build 1803: Hi all, Following a fresh reinstall it seems I am now in the same position as many before me - high DPC latency causing audio crackling, popping and distortion (especially in Kodi :-( ) I've read everything I can find online and yet I'm still suffering this issue. This is...
  8. Yet another windows 10 issue ASK Hijack?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Yet another windows 10 issue ASK Hijack?: Hi, please help me. I have re loaded google to be my home page, and settings state it is. However every time I open a new tab in firefox and try a search it continues to use ask.com, which I really do not like. I don't know why it stopped working. Also advised of...
  9. Yet another gigabit ethernet issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Yet another gigabit ethernet issue: Hello everyone, Found this forum from my Google searches but couldn't find a similar issue. I use ethernet cable to connect my laptop to a router. My router supports gigabit connection and the wiring of the house is cat 5e. Yet the connection is very unstable on my...
  10. Yet another slow mouse/display issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Yet another slow mouse/display issue: The other day, I posted, looking for help on why my mouse speed had dramatically slowed down, even though I hadn't made any settings changes I was aware of that would cause that effect. The drivers for my USB as well as for my mouse are up-to-date. The mouse in question...