Windows 10: Yet another Start Menu problem

Discus and support Yet another Start Menu problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm sorry to bother everybody with yet another Start Menu issue, but I've tried various things and just can't get it fixed. The only thing the Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by naujoks, Dec 12, 2016.

1. naujoks Win User

Yet another Start Menu problem

I'm sorry to bother everybody with yet another Start Menu issue, but I've tried various things and just can't get it fixed.
    The only thing the Start Menu shows me when left clicking on it is a list of recently changed apps. Typing the name of an app doesn't produce anything. There are no tiles.
    I tried powershell scan, this long command to redownload and reinstall files to do with start menu, uninstall dropbox, update graphics drivers, I don't have separate antivirus software. The last thing I could try is the full new install, but that's almost as bad as re-installing windows altogether, and who knows how long that will last until this issue comes back?

Does anyone have any other ideas what I could try? It's soooo annoying!

:)

naujoks, Dec 12, 2016
  2. Taffy087 Win User

Yet another problem on my new WIn10 PC - my Start Menu button has failed

My new Win10 OEM HP Envy laptop was damaged by last week's Windows Updates. I lost all of my Documents & Pictures and had other niggles, per separate threads. It's version 1511 Build 10586. 104 (That was on the 10th Feb 2016 and thanks to Alan Russell [who
    told me*** that Win+I takes us to Settings] I can see that it hasn't changed.

I've just lost my Start Menu left-click function - what do I do, please?

I shouldn't be having all these blasted problems on a brand-new purpose-built-for-Win10 PC.

I don't want the Level 1 template reply - this seems to be as below, sometimes with a link to the 'Critical Error - Start Menu/Cortana has failed' thread. None of those workarounds have worked, as far as I can see.

*** Compare Alan's reply (he's an Insider) with the Level 1's template reply in my thread here.

PS Today, I've had my new & upgraded laptops working side-by-side. Perhaps Cortana's dreaded disease is infectious.

Typical Level 1 reply - not to used for this problem:

"Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

Method 1:

If issue persists, try to check the system files are they working fine or not and to check that try to run System File Checker (SFC) tool.

SFC scan will scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows 8.

1. Press Windows key and X at the same time.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.

3. In the command prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

4. Exit command prompt.

For more information refer to this link:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Method 2:

If issue persists try to create new user profile as an administrator and see if issue persists in new user profile. For creating new user profile you may refer to the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

Create a local user account in Windows 10

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you."

Taffy087, Dec 12, 2016
  3. Taffy087 Win User
    Yet another problem on my new WIn10 PC - my Start Menu button has failed

Hello Robert - I've just seen your reply in the "Start Menu Doesn't Appear" thread. I realise now that I must be disciplined and not flag up any new issues (as I've done an hour ago) until I've resolved old ones.

So this will be a priority job tomorrow!

Taffy087, Dec 12, 2016
  4. damocles Win User

Sorry, I can not help, I have had Start Menu problems too. I am giving up on windows 10 as MS forces a broken OS on us. I have a business to run so I have no time with badly coded operating systems. I hope you find a fix soon.

damocles, Dec 12, 2016
  5. Azucho98 Win User
    If my start button quits working, I re-install W10. You can download the W10 ISO file from Microsoft directly:

Windows 10

When installing be sure to keep personal files and folders.

Doing this always fixes start button issues for me.

Good luck.

Azucho98, Dec 12, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Try fixes in this order:
    • Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt
    • Restore to a previous working system restore point
    • Restore from backup if you have one
    • Do a repair install - this is the option in post 3 where you reinstall W10 over itself keeping all options
    I strongly recommend Classic Shell. You can configure it so mouse hover over the start button opens Classic Shell and a left mouse click opens the Windows start menu so you have the both options available.

Steve C, Dec 13, 2016
  7. xpclient Win User
    I recommend Classic Shell too. It won't give you Start menu search or something else always broken issues.

xpclient, Dec 13, 2016
  8. Yet another Start Menu problem

You don't have to reinstall. Here's a quick guide to recreating your user. you won't lose any of your installed programs. You just will have to rebuild your Start Menu and Desktop shortcuts.

[youtube]jvjP2wSBvHE[/youtube]

OldGuyGeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Yet another Start Menu problem - Similar Threads - Yet another Start

2. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  3. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  4. Yet another Bitlocker problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Yet another Bitlocker problem: HiMicrosoft has come up with a new way to bamboozle me. Bitlocker, something I've never even heard of, let alone used. Okay, the computer is used, so maybe some previous user used it, but as far as I know the machine had a clean Windows install before sale. The HDD I bought...
  5. Yet another Bitlocker problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Yet another Bitlocker problem: HiMicrosoft has come up with a new way to bamboozle me. Bitlocker, something I've never even heard of, let alone used. Okay, the computer is used, so maybe some previous user used it, but as far as I know the machine had a clean Windows install before sale. The HDD I bought...
  6. Yet another BSOD...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Yet another BSOD...: I was just watching youtube and the audio just froze and I got a ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSOD. This happens often and I have no idea why. here's the latest minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajhgd4r9gQdOgdt3-nM5baIsv4-muw?e=Ji3ERe please help i keep getting BSODs...
  7. Yet another IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Yet another IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL problem: My friend's games keep crashing while playing games like PUBG and Path of Exile. Here is the result from a "WhoCrashed" analysis of the latest dump: Crash Dump Analysis Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. Crash dump directories: C:\WINDOWS C:\WINDOWS\Minidump On Tue...
  8. Another start menu question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Another start menu question: I used to be able to hit the windows key, start typing "path" or "environment" and the suggestion to modify my path will come up. Since a few days ago, this is no longer true. No sure what changed. Any ideas how to fix this? submitted by /u/JackeJR [link] [comments]...
  9. Copy Start Menu to Another Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy Start Menu to Another Computer: I have my Start Menu under W10 Pro set pretty much like I like it and would like to transfer it to my laptop also running Pro. Is there a way I can copy it to the laptop? Thanks. 132224
  10. Win10 Will Not Wake From Sleep YET ANOTHER PROBLEM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Will Not Wake From Sleep YET ANOTHER PROBLEM: YET ANOTHER PROBLEM I do NOT want to install windows 10 version 1809 OR 1903 they have way to much bloatware embedded, Why wont my machine wake up from sleep when i set my RAM to its proper XMP speed profile? Aorus X470 Gaming7 Wifi Motherboard 16GB DDR4 Corsair RGB...