Windows 10: Yet another W10 network credentials junk thread.. but plain talk !

Discus and support Yet another W10 network credentials junk thread.. but plain talk ! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have got W10 now including two W10 and 2 W7s on my home network... Different users and passwords on each one and all have a shared folder. Yes I set... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pangycat, May 21, 2016.

1. pangycat Win User

Yet another W10 network credentials junk thread.. but plain talk !

I have got W10 now including two W10 and 2 W7s on my home network... Different users and passwords on each one and all have a shared folder. Yes I set the network config for 'don't ask for passwords'... BUT of course I am asked for credentials when trying to access the other computer's shared folders and of course I don't understand....I have looked at all the threads on this but I still don't get it...
    Time for plain talk:
    A Is it asking for my credentials on the target computer like remote desktop does ? I am sure the other users won't give me their user/password...
    B Is it asking it asking for my username and password on my computer ? This computer. Like it doesn't know who is logged on to this computer ? My user and my password ? Are those credentials passed to the other computers in any way or are they kept safe on here ?
    I don't have a Microsoft account.... do I need one ? What a mess, the whole world is asking this and can't figure it out so I am not alone...

Can anyone give me really simple, short, lucid way to network my W10s and W7s and get past all this credential junk ... ? Now here is a laugh.....my last job included managing a network of 15 work computers ... If I gave a damn any more I would be embarrassed... How can Microsoft release this on the public worldwide ? I have never been able to make sense of Microsoft's explanations of anything; neither has my wife actually and she is a senior IT bod ! If Joe public can't tell me in plain English, then I will never know.. thanks in advance ...

:)

pangycat, May 21, 2016
  2. LonElkins Win User

Did you mean to switch apps? MS Edge is trying to open Google Chrome

Reply to what? Why so much garbage - clean up the mess and talk in plain language. I do not an ap - application - I am already employed. Aps to what - you created this junk NOW CLEAN IT UP.

LonElkins, May 21, 2016
  3. Yet another Data Thread - 3220

The cable (DKU-5) is only for the Nokia 3220, I have my Nokia N70 with it's own cable.

Indeed- My wifes PC seems to not like the phone as I can use my cable and my phone fine on her PC.

A Re-install or Window is always a last resort and I won't go that route just for this stupid little cable, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'll continue using my PC as the communication PC

morpheus---01, May 21, 2016
  4. linw Win User

It is a security thing. When the Credential Manager asks you to input the username it expects the pcname and the username of the computer being accessed like this:- PCname\username. Next it wants that user's password.

If the affected user won't give you this info then one could assume they don't want you to have access thus nullifying the share. You would then, presumably, need to create a 'public' user to hold the shared folders. Or a Dropbox share?

5. bro67 Win User
    Because Guest Access for SMB/CIFS no longer exists, you will be asked for credentials. You can save those credentials under your User Profile. You just need to plug in the IP of the machine, Username and Password. It is good to have a dedicated username just for file sharing. Makes things a lot easier.

bro67, May 22, 2016
  6. pangycat Win User
    Hell's bells it's worse that I thought Jim... It sounds like it's the same as remote desktop ! There is no way the users are going to give me their user and password for their machines...... Would your teenage daughter give you theirs ? <linw> I don't understand your point about users not wanting to me to access their machines if they won't give me their user/password, because if a user shares a folder and makes it 'everyone' and read/write, then how is that not wanting to share their machine on the network ? <bro 67> , having a 'spoof' user on every machine where I can use their credentials would seem to work, but I could then log onto their machines with remote desktop and if they weren't careful to have spoof as a user (not administrator), I could change their passwords and nosy about in EVERY folder, not just the shared ones ? Their Outlook ? Imagine ! All this just so I can access a shared folder ? I have a W10 drive and W7 drive on all the network computers, so it looks like W7 will have to live on if this is the best that MS can do...

pangycat, May 22, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    There does seem to be a way to do what you want but it is up to you to test and weigh up any consequences.

On the sharing comp, from an admin command prompt, activate the guest account (net user guest /active:yes).

After restarting, the share should show with no credentials prompt. (If anyone has set up credentials already, you need to remove them).

Whether this is any more 'dangerous' than the win 7 implicit share I don't know so over to you to test and decide.

This worked here with a Pro Insider, a Pro 1511 and a Home 1511.

8. pangycat Win User

I will give that a shot... thankyou... I am off on the roof today to block off the woodpecker hole in the chimney before the 4 days of thunderstorms arrive. After that I will try anything that doesn't involve jumping through crazy hoops just to do what Windows 7 does so effortlessly. I wonder how small businesses with say 20 computers do it ? They must be using home-groups I reckon, and then fighting to maintain them as machines switch in and out of the group ... What is the advantage of windows 10 again ? lol !

pangycat, May 23, 2016
  9. pangycat Win User
    ok turned on the guest account on the target computer per your command line..... and the W10 machine called for credentials which I entered as <target computer > and then guest\<no password>
    It was straight into the shared folders...
    I asked to save the credentials then checked in credentials manager and no... nothing saved

So I entered the credentials directly into credential manager and saved and and hooray no credential request next time

ok so now I have the same sort of security as windows 7... which is none (once someone is past my mac address filter and and hardware firewall and etc etc etc... access to the shared drive only though...

Is there a big risk with having guest account on (with no password) , or do I need to bite the bullet and set up a 'spoof' account with password on every hosting computer ? Am I right in thinking that the guest account is no worse than every W7 machine with a shared folder ?

pangycat, May 23, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Do not turn on Guest account. It is not needed to share folders and files. The risk is that anyone can get on the network or if you are on a Public Hotspot, anyone can gain access to your machine.

Also no one can gain access to the user credentials on a machine, without knowing them in the first place. If you cannot trust others in the household, there is not much else that you can do then.

bro67, May 24, 2016
  11. pangycat Win User
    Yes I agree with you on guest account and I would use a spoof user if I went the credential way.
    If (I said IF) I have folder called 'former girlfriends', I don't want my wife to have the logon credentials to my machine. She has the shared folders under windows 7 and that's all she requires... Imagine I am out and she physically sits at my keyboard and logs in with the credentials.. She will see a lot more than shared folders.. She will see all folders visible to standard users... !! I know I can button down folder permissions for a 'standard user' within a user logon, but just one mistake..... Nope I don't want to give people my logon.

I reckon credentials are ok for servers, but not on a home network where it can cause divorce... I have been looking at homegroup but that is an even bigger nightmare if a now non-existent machine set it up... We are taking manipulating services and system files to try and right it..

Windows 10 looks fun for dark cold winter-just trying to make it work as well at W7 !

pangycat, May 24, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    First off there is no spoofing done if you set a user account on every machine with the same username and password. Homegroup has nothing to do with servers. If someone sits at your computer and gains access by knowing what your username and password is, again that comes down to worrying too much about the what ifs. There is nothing in this world that can stop someone from finding a way of knowing your credentials, if you tell others. If you do not, they will never know what your password is for that account.

You are worrying too much about all of this little stuff that no one even looks at, in a home environment. Because it is up to you the user to take care of your own network. Windows 10 has nothing to do with trying to make it work as well as Windows 7. Windows 10 actually works better then Windows 7 when it comes to how it uses memory management and other things.

I would be more worried about the price of Milk and Gas, before fretting over workstation logins. My son and wife know mine. I know my wife & son's. I use their same credentials when I set up our NAS, so that they would have a single sign-on. Our household is very open about our private lives, because we have nothing to hide from each other and it also does not make problems when someone imagines that someone is hiding things.

bro67, May 24, 2016
  13. pangycat Win User

I said I would set up a spoof account on every machine if I 'went the credentials way'. That is where there is no homegroup and you simply enter credentials (username/password) when you try and access a shared folder on another computer.
    Distributing user/password credentials for that computer means that a person could log onto it at the keyboard and see much more than with regular networking or homegroup access to shared folders.
    It's admirable that you are so clean living and pure as a family, but most people have things they want to keep private. If my daughter sends me an email and calls my wife a name, I don't want my outlook to be accessed by my wife do I ? That is the real world.

So far as I can see, the only way to preserve privacy on a network is not to distribute credentials, (not talking about homegroup password remember), and that means W7 style open networking to shared folders, or homegroups being forced by W10

I would love someone to tell me I am wrong because these are the only possible alternatives I can see...

A: keep W7 and shared folders which stops log ons to my computer
    B: go W10 homegroup with only homegroup password being shared for shared folders
    C: Go W10 with no homegroup and distribute full log on credentials (user plus password) which can be used to physically log onto any computer at the keyboard..

If I go W10, only B above is possible for a sinner ?

pangycat, May 24, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    Again it is not called a Spoof account. If you want to share folders, use Home Group. If you want to do refused Network Shares, yes you need a specific user account that you will use to log into those shares. Otherwise you can use the Pro edition of 10 and assign a specific name to the shares.

Personally I say just get a NAS and wipe your hands of it. You can then assign users to whatever share that they want.

You are making this into more than it actually is and worrying too much about stuff that you cannot change.

If people cannot be trusted in your house. There are those that can fix that problem. But that is not going yo be discussed here.

bro67, May 24, 2016
  15. pangycat Win User
    Bro 67 Please stick to the technical stuff and don't moralize about my family because there are a lot of people that like to keep their business (such as money and health emails) private from their extended family and prefer to have a private computer. I don't know what you are insinuating about 'people who can fix the problem in the my family', but I think you are stepping way outside the bounds of a discussion on networking.
    We want our machines with different passwords and different usernames and we each want them private but with shared folders. That is all you need to know and does not require you to comment on whether your family is better than mine (in your opinion)

pangycat, May 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Yet another W10 network credentials junk thread.. but plain talk ! - Similar Threads - Yet another W10

2. network credentials pop up when accessing another device on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network credentials pop up when accessing another device on network: PROBLEM #1: I have one desktop running on Win 7, one laptop running on Win 10, and 1 printer on the same network. I used to be able to access files between both devices without any issue. Recently, when I try to access the desktop from my laptop, a "Enter Windows...
  3. Yet another BSOD...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Yet another BSOD...: I was just watching youtube and the audio just froze and I got a ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSOD. This happens often and I have no idea why. here's the latest minidump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajhgd4r9gQdOgdt3-nM5baIsv4-muw?e=Ji3ERe please help i keep getting BSODs...
  4. Network Boot Plain WIM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Network Boot Plain WIM: Is it possible to network boot a WIM image ripped straight from the ISO, after isolating an index, or is it required to capture a running system to work with windows pe?...
  5. Yet Another BSOD Boot Loop Thread...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Yet Another BSOD Boot Loop Thread...: Hey all. Wondering next step recommendations from a bunch of bsod errors... I apologise in advance if I'm posting incorrectly, with too little info, or in the wrong place. This is my first post, yay. So, I'm getting: system thread exception not handled (sometimes shows...
  6. Windows Update (yet another thread thx to MS)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update (yet another thread thx to MS): Hello Community, wanted to open a new thread to post a recent issue with Update and see if there are others having the same issue. Microsoft locked all the other threads on this topic that I had been subscribed to, hence the reason for opening a new. Windows Update.....oh...
  7. yet another 0xc000007b thread

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    yet another 0xc000007b thread: I've done pretty much everything. I've looked at other threads, I've restarted, I've updated my drivers, I added some dll files. I reinstalled the game that causes the problems. I was looking to see if anyone had any tips on how to get rid of this. I have: Recently switched...
  8. New prompt for Network Credentials on W10 not seen before.

New prompt for Network Credentials on W10 not seen before.: Multiple computers on wireless net. Some W7 and one W10. Files visible on any computer from any computer and then a second W10 computer was added. Attempts to access its files or to use it to access files on any of the other computers elicits a small window/prompt for Network...
  9. Yet another "One or more network protocols are missing"

Yet another "One or more network protocols are missing": I'm running Win 10 and had a power outage/hard shutdown. On restarting, the network connection was broken. I'm running on hardwire with a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I've been troubleshooting this for days now, so it's hard to recall where I've started, but here's a...
  10. Yet another W10 sleep bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Yet another W10 sleep bug: My daughters HP laptop had sleep issues when W10 came out but one of the W10 updates fixed it. It recently started having sleep problems - One of the W10 updates most likely broke it again. (currently running 14393.479) I noticed that if you turn the laptop ON, don't...