Windows 10: Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When...

Discus and support Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I live in fear and dread of windows 'feature' updates. There has not been a single one in the past 2 years that has not left my PC totally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PeterStanbury, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When...

I live in fear and dread of windows 'feature' updates. There has not been a single one in the past 2 years that has not left my PC totally unusable...and always with the same flashing screen issue. So, I confidently predicted to a friend that Windows 10 version 1809 would do the same, and sure enough it obliged. In fact this time the issue occurred par excellence and I can't even get past the login screen.

I find it absolutely outrageous, and it really is about time someone said so, that it is possible to download an update and the end result be that a PC that was working fine beforehand is effectively unusable. Even more of an outrage is that these updates are forced on us, as the 1803 update ( which did finally work after 3 months ) eventually was despite my every attempt to block it.

But perhaps worst of all is that issues with the desktop screen and taskbar flashing have been known about for ages ...years, even....and we are always fobbed off with ' you need to update your drivers' ( which is given as a solution but seldom actually is ) rather than someone at Microsoft just making the code so that the screen doesn't flash. Why on Earth would I worry about AI robots taking over the world when an operating system can't even recognise that the screen is stuck in perpetual flashing mode ?

:)

PeterStanbury, Dec 8, 2018

2. Viruses and Malware

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is
    inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Further, if you're dealing with

zero-day malware
    it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each
    perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes

viruses
    worms
    Trojans
    rootkis
    and
    bots

Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on
    adware,
    spyware,

unwanted toolbars
    browser hijackers
    potentially unwanted programs
    and
    potentially unsafe applications

Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation
    features
    protect against
    zero-day malware
    drive-by downloads
    exploits
    and
    Exploit Kits

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

Important Fact: Keep in mind that
    the user is the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice
    safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the
    user is a more substantial factor
    (weakest link)
    in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Security begins with personal responsibility. Common sense, good security habits, safe surfing, understanding security and safe computing are essential to protecting yourself from malware infection.

quietman7 - MVP, Dec 8, 2018
  3. CaueV Win User
    Pc taken over by viruses and malware

Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When... [​IMG]

I don't have that option. And from what I see, your antimalware client version, antivirus and antispyware definitions are on a newer version than mine. Did I miss a windows update? I'm checking for updates now

CaueV, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When...

Pc viruses

My uncle brought me an old pc that has tons of malware and viruses ( he never used an anti virus).

What i was going to do was wipe the HDD clean then reinstall the os but i guess he has a lot of pictures and files he needs.

So how would i go about deleting all the bad stuff ?

I was going to do a few passes in safe mode with
    malwarebytes
    superantispyware

i will also try to get him to buy a copy of kaspersky once it gets cleaned out.

i need some suggestions if what i will be doing is right

Assassin48, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When...

1. Yet Another Windows 'Feature' Update Screws Up My PC. Who Needs Malware And Viruses When... - Similar Threads - Yet Another 'Feature'

2. virus or malware is blocking the reset feature

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus or malware is blocking the reset feature: service disruption stop code error. can't delete any programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-or-malware-is-blocking-the-reset-feature/6d1fd053-f69a-4c45-91bb-7c2e9c689808
  3. Need help, Windows screwed up..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help, Windows screwed up..: so long story short i wanted to play a game on my old laptop and to get a bit more performance i tried a clean boot so i wrote msconfig.exe and clicked diagnostic start (trying to translate from italian so sorry for bad english) after that i restarted the computer and then i...
  4. Update - Windows screwing up?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update - Windows screwing up?: The last update went in fine but colour settings have gone a bit loopy. Suddenly my colours on games and desktop were really vivid - a real pain on the eyeballs. Eventually fixed that but lost my custom settings. Secondly my task bar along the bottom of the desktop had gone...
  5. Onedrive screwed my pc up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive screwed my pc up: So today I decided to backup my PC desktop toOnedrive. Unfortunately, my laptop was already backed up. This resulted in both my desktop icons from my laptop and my pc being merged. When I tried to stop the merging, the icons just disappeared never to return. How do I revert...
  6. My Pc is really screwing up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Pc is really screwing up: So I have been having a problem with my taskbar for almost 3 months now where it constantly keeps refreshing even when im playing a full screen game on Steam and it makes my FPS go down for around 5 seconds. I haven't had time to search up on how I can fix it but today my...
  7. another Windows 10 (screw)update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    another Windows 10 (screw)update: Once again my computer works like a 286 running Win 3.0. I got another screwupdate. "Not responding" is flashing every time I turn my head after finally getting nearly back to normal from the last screwupdate. STOP IT!!!...
  8. Windows update screwed up my PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update screwed up my PC: I allowed a update and now my laptop is a paper weight. I get an error popup window that says the desktop file is missing. Can not find that file on other laptops and none of the apps are visible. The windows icon does not do anything except change color when curser is over...
  9. Windows Update Screwed up need help urgently

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Screwed up need help urgently: So i was updating windows and it failed so my pc restarted and now i cant do anything cant lqunch any programs or open the start menu i try restart it via crt alt dlt and it tells me it needs to update so i let it update and then it fails and the same thing happens again plz...
  10. Pc screwed up

in Windows 10 Support
    Pc screwed up: yesterday I was watching the new dbs and then pc went black and made some buzzing noise I can turn it on but I can't get to the desktop with users Yesterday I was talking with Microsoft for a hour and minutes trying to fix it they said the pc could be old and graphics issue....