Windows 10: You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll

Discus and support You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Each time I log on to my PC a message pops up that says "You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll". It then asks me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BeetleFungus465, Nov 15, 2020.

1. You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll

Each time I log on to my PC a message pops up that says "You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll". It then asks me to choose a program to launch the file, but then doesn't attempt to open anything, and only opens "Settings" saying one of my passwords may be wrong, but then will not allow me to choose an account. Oddly this has started happening on my home PC and my work PC at the same time, since the last windows update. The two PCs are entirely independent and are logged in to via different accounts. Neither password is wrong. Once the PC is started I can work normally.

:)

BeetleFungus465, Nov 15, 2020
  2. RobertC Win User

File extension not in file association list

I could not use the below instructions, as I am trying to change a common file type (.tif) to an application not appearing in the standard list (Microsoft's attempt to lock out competitive apps perhaps?). Just go to the file with extension that you want to open, in the File Explorer utility, right click and select "open with". Then look for your preferred app in the "other apps" list and make sure "use as default" and your are all set.

RobertC, Nov 15, 2020
  3. Change Save As File type

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What type of files are you trying to save?
    2. What type of File formats are you referring to?
    3. Are you facing this concern with all Websites?
    However, Try the below suggestions to change the default programs & File associations in Windows 10.

Method 1. Choose a Default Program for specific file types (extensions).

1. Right click on the Start menu and then choose
    Control Panel. Set the View by to Small icons and then choose
    Default Programs.

2. At Default programs options, choose
    set your default programs

3. At the left pane select the application that you want and then click:

a. Set this program as default to make the selected application as the default application to open all files types that it can handle, or

b. Choose defaults for this program to choose which specific file types the selected application can open by default.

b1. If you select the Choose defaults for this program option, then a new window will open that lists all the extensions (types of files) that the selected program can handle (open). Look at the list
    of extensions and select any other extensions (files types) you want to be opened by the selected program. After making your changes, click
    Save.

Method 2. Associate a specific file type (extension) to open with a default program.

The second method is to choose a default program by extension.

1. Go to Control Panel >
    Default programs
    and select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

2. From the list of file extensions, select the extension that you want to change the default program to open with and then click
    Change program.

3. Finally select from the suggested programs or select
    More apps to find another program on your computer, to open files with the selected file extension.

Hope it helps,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Nov 15, 2020
  4. You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll

.dll Files open Windows Photo Viewer - Can I change this?

Hi Wyatt,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to access the pictures on your computer?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Does this issue persists only with the .dll files?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. If a
    Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Step 2: Check if the .dll files are set as default under Default programs.

• Press Windows key, type default programs
      and select Default Programs.
    • Click on Set your default programs.
    • Under Programs in the left pane, click on the program you wish to access photos with and click on
      Choose defaults for this program.
    • Under Extensions check if .dll
      is check marked or not. If not, check the box for .dll files.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing photos on your computer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll

1. You are attempting to open a file of type Application extension .dll - Similar Threads - are attempting open

2. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: I wrote a Visual studio solution and then made an installed copy of it when I run the application this error appears every time. How can I fix it?...
  3. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: I wrote a Visual studio solution and then made an installed copy of it when I run the application this error appears every time. How can I fix it?...
  4. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it...
  5. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll: For the past couple of days, I am getting an error message every time I switch on my Laptop. It says: "you are attempting to open a file of type 'system file' .dll".I looked up the solution on Google and I came across this answer by Barb Bowman.I did what she said but it...
  6. An error message about attempting to open file of type 'System File' .dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How do you change a specific file types opening application

How do you change a specific file types opening application: Hello there. So recently i discovered that all of my .JSON files were connected to the minecraft launcher. I need help on how to reset an app type as example .JSON so that it has no file associated to it. My Computer is German btw If you want to view how it looks, here is a...
  8. Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Attempting to open a file of type 'system file' (.dll): A couple weeks ago, my computer crashed while running MS Excel. After rebooting, I wasn't able to save the recovered files. A window would pop up saying it's trying to connect with "C:\Users\satchitbanada" but, for some reason it wasn't connecting. When I opened file...
  9. file with .dll extension wont open. please help.

in Windows 10 Customization
    file with .dll extension wont open. please help.: file with .dll extension wont open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-with-dll-extension-wont-open-please-help/70ac508a-0077-4571-a013-886e5762c560
  10. File Extension and file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Extension and file type: Recently I came to know the in some directories, all my file type and extension are changed to CAAVME File (.caavme). When I open, its not opening. There is a file in every directory with the name "CAAVME-DECRYPT" and it contents: ---= GANDCRAB V5.0.4 =---...