Windows 10: You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys

Discus and support You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Back in the days of Windows 95, Microsoft offered PowerToys – a collection of useful tools and utilities to improve Windows experience. Earlier this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 30, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys

Back in the days of Windows 95, Microsoft offered PowerToys – a collection of useful tools and utilities to improve Windows experience. Earlier this year, Microsoft said that it was bringing PowerToys to Windows 10 and the app initially offered two features.

The latest version of PowerToys adds support for advanced bulk file renamer on Windows 10, allowing you to select multiple files and rename them with one click. Unlike the third-party apps, PowerToys is deeply integrated into Windows 10.

The bulk file renamer is called ‘PowerRename’ or Smart Rename and it comes with a straightforward interface, and the purpose is to enable easy batch renaming on Windows 10. At the same time, PowerToys app offers advanced features including the option to configure rules for batch rename of the files.

For example, you can customize the batch file renamer with extensions, case sensitive and others.

You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys PowerToys-renamer.jpg

The feature is idle for managing large numbers of photos, music and video files. It offers a live preview of the changes and you can also roll back the changes that you made with one click.

For power users, the arrival of the new PowerRename will be the most interesting part but the same update also adds dark mode to appropriate screens.

PowerToys is not yet available in Microsoft Store, so you will have to grab it from Github.

The post You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 30, 2019

2. How to Batch Rename files ?

I have a lot of files I want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, I want to give to other files.

How do i do this in a batch process ?

Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be updated version of Resizer by the same company?
    That has been useful for other batch processes for images . But I've yet to figure the batch naming options .

A different software I'm considering for this task is called Advanced Renamer .

Maybe I've become too slow through the years because :
    I've been looking for the right tutorial that I can clearly understand and found none .
    They seem to be out of my grasp .

Note : I currently use a bat file, that takes the names of other files I have in a folder and puts them into a text file.

( I'd prefer a one click Bat process ideally for this specific task ) .

So I'd be happy with a bat file that can also take those names in my text list
    and apply them to files I want to rename in any given folder with those . If anyone knew how to do that.

It don't matter the order applied - as long as each file in the folder receives one name from the list.
    The names I pulled are from images in a folder. The names are to be applied to a equal number of files ,
    which is a different extension. so no worry about them having the same name. So just the names .

- - - Updated - - -

I found this thread. But unsure how to apply it and its replies into the bat i need ?

stackoverflow rename-files-after-a-list-of-names

Update possible reference
    for loop - Creating a batch file to rename TXT files based on content (removing inappropriate syntax) - Stack Overflow

- - - Updated - - -

and yet another reference i need help understanding if its useful
    windows - Generate file-folder list.txt file in a directory/subdirectory & rename list.txt to folder/subfolder name using dir & ren command in a batch file - Stack Overflow

OtherWay1982, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft PowerToys 0.12 now available for Windows 10

Source: PowerToys v0.12 now available! - Windows Insider

Brink, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Lillebror Win User

Batch Files Knowledge Base

You can't just rename a batch file to .exe *Big Grin You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys :D it wont ever work! =D and that "bench" is built into vista *Smile You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys :) And you cant input text into another cmd window.. But if you want to open calc.exe from a batch file just type calc.exe *Smile You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys :)

Lillebror, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

1. You can now batch rename files on Windows 10 with PowerToys - Similar Threads - batch rename files

2. Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals: Hi,I have a list of files that contain "Firstname Lastname". Is there a way to batch rename the files to "FL"?For example:"Donkey Kong Rewards Package 2023""Mario Kart Rewards Package 2023"etc.Can these be renamed through power rename to:"DK Rewards Package 2023""MK Rewards...
  3. Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powertoys batch rename files: 'name' to initals: Hi,I have a list of files that contain "Firstname Lastname". Is there a way to batch rename the files to "FL"?For example:"Donkey Kong Rewards Package 2023""Mario Kart Rewards Package 2023"etc.Can these be renamed through power rename to:"DK Rewards Package 2023""MK Rewards...
  4. Powertoys rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powertoys rename: Hi, I am new to powertools for windows 10. I am trying to rename multiple files at the same time. I could rename multiple files matching a single condition. For example any file names with ñ I can replace with n. However, I need to replace ñ with n, ú with u and so on. I can...
  5. Powertoys rename

Powertoys rename: Hi, I am new to powertools for windows 10. I am trying to rename multiple files at the same time. I could rename multiple files matching a single condition. For example any file names with ñ I can replace with n. However, I need to replace ñ with n, ú with u and so on. I can...
  6. Powertoys rename

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. batch rename files

in Windows 10 Support
    batch rename files: hello, id like to remove characters in file names... using cmd, ive been able to remove "." (the dot) and replace it with a space and but hopefully keep the extention id like bou.bou.bou.txt to be renamed to bou bou bou.txt i tried : ren *.*.??? * *.??? obviously i want to...
  8. Rename files in batch.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rename files in batch.: Hi All.. I am having some files nearly 2000 in nos. in a particular folder. I just need to replace some portion. Is it possible that I can do it instantaneously.. if so please guide....Details are furnished below.Old file Name : P12478-12-71-41-1781-01.dwg...
  9. Can you change batch rename suffixes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can you change batch rename suffixes?: Hi, Currently, when I batch rename files, it shows as "NameOfFile #". However, is it possible to change the #, by something else like _# instead? Thank you...
  10. How to Batch Rename files ?

How to Batch Rename files ?: I have a lot of files i want to give names to. I already found a way to get names into a text I need. So all these names i have in text, i want to give to other files. How do i do this in a batch process ? Currently trying to learn FastStone Image viewer. Seems to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows power toys file rename