Windows 10: You can now buy Linux on Microsoft's Store

Discus and support You can now buy Linux on Microsoft's Store in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; WLinux is the first commercial version of Linux, more precise the Windows Subssystem for Linux, on the Microsoft Store. It is advertised as a "fast... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

You can now buy Linux on Microsoft's Store

WLinux is the first commercial version of Linux, more precise the Windows Subssystem for Linux, on the Microsoft Store. It is advertised as a "fast Linux terminal environment for developers and pro-users built on Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) on Windows 10" and available for $19.99 on the Microsoft Store.

WLinux is not the first Linux-based application for Windows 10; users of the operating system can install Ubuntu, Debian GNU/Linux and other Linux versions for the Windows Subsystem for Linux as well from the Store.

The Windows Subsystem for Linux integrates Linux distributions into the Windows 10 operating system so that these become available. The implementation is fairly limited at this point in time as you are limited to running command line tools and some tools or applications even in the latest version of Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019.

Windows 10 version 1809 includes a new option to run a Linux shell from Explorer. You need to hold down the Shift-key before you right-click on a folder to use the "Open Linux shell here" option.

The installation of Linux on a Windows 10 PC does not provide full access to the desktop environment.

You can now buy Linux on Microsoft's Store wlinux.jpg

WLinux was optimized to run on the Windows Subsystem for Linux and that is probably the main reason why it is the first commercial Windows Subsystem for Linux application. The distribution uses Debian Gnu/Linux as its core.

The developers of WLinux removed some packages such as systemd from the image in an effort to reduce the overall size of the image and manageability.

The Linux environment for Windows 10 includes the setup tool wlinux-setup to customize environment-specific preferences using it.

It enables users to choose the default text editor, unpack development environments such as NodeJS, Python, Go or Ruby, or manage Windows and Azure deployments using PowerShell and azure-cli.

WLinux includes support for wslu, a tool collection for Linux on Windows 10 that includes five tools currently. The utilities may be used to redirect links to the default Windows web browser, convert Windows paths, or create shortcuts on the Windows desktop.

Support is not exclusive, however, as distributions such as Ubuntu, Debian, or Suse Linux Enterprise Server support it as well.

Other features of interest include:

• Support for graphical Linux applications.
    • Apt package functionality to install open source packages from Debian repositories.
    • Promise to patch Windows Subsystem for Linux bugs faster than any other Linux distribution available for Windows 10.

The money that is earned from sales flows directly into the project to finance development.

Purchases of WLinux in the Microsoft Store pay for a team of open source indie developers to add new features, test and release builds, evaluate WSL-related CVEs, and provide user support.

Additional information is available on the project's official GitHub page.

Now You: What is your take on the Windows Subsystem for Linux?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post You can now buy Linux on Microsoft's Store appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Can NOT install Linux from Windows store!

I am currently using Windows 1803[17134.81] and I can NOT install Windows from Store! Whenever I run the powershell command to turn "Windows sub-system for Linux" on, the machine takes a reboot and then "Working on Updates We couldn't apply the updates"
    then another restart and then 'undoing changes' kinda thing. HOW TO ENABLE LINUX INSTALLATION FROM STORE?!

*Steps followed so far---

1. Re-installed Windows, 100% clean. Still nothing.
    2. Created another user account, no help.
    3. Deleted theme, reset Windows Store, and store cache too. NO HELP!

DeepanChatterjee, Nov 8, 2018
  4. sam02 Win User

App store and Microsoft account

Thank you for the advice

I see what you mean about the password but i think its a backward step to compromise my Microsoft password to to use the app store

sam02, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. You can now buy Linux on Microsoft's Store - Similar Threads - buy Linux Microsoft's

2. You can now install new Microsoft Store on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    You can now install new Microsoft Store on Windows 10: Microsoft originally announced Windows 11’s new app store in June, and since then, the company has been trying to improve the quality of its marketplace. Several servicing updates have been released as part of the Windows Insider Program and users have been testing the new...
  3. Linux from Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Linux from Microsoft Store: Hello, I wanting to get a version of Linux from the store. I have some questions.1. Which version of Linux from the store is best for noobs like me?2. After installing a version, how can I also go and run Windows 10?3. If I don't want Linux anymore how can I uninstall...
  4. You can now sign-in and sync favorites with Microsoft Edge on Linux

in Windows 10 News
    You can now sign-in and sync favorites with Microsoft Edge on Linux: Users can now sign-in and sync their favorites with Microsoft Edge on Linux! Microsoft Edge on Linux now includes the ability to login with your Microsoft account and sync your favorites, passwords, extensions, and more! As an insider, we would love your feedback on how well...
  5. Can you use a Microsoft gift card to buy apps on the Google Play Store?

Can you use a Microsoft gift card to buy apps on the Google Play Store?: I want to use it but i primarily use android so i want to use the gift card on the play store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-use-a-microsoft-gift-card-to-buy-apps-on/49c9c150-abe1-4b20-9e52-0d4892d7ef06
  6. How do you buy from the microsoft store?

How do you buy from the microsoft store?: I want to buy Freda+. I am logged in to my Microsoft account. There is a valid and active credit card on file for billing. I can find Freda+ in the Microsoft store. I am in its web store page. Now what. There is no buy now button....
  7. You can now access Linux filesystems in Windows 10 and WSL 2

in Windows 10 News
    You can now access Linux filesystems in Windows 10 and WSL 2: Starting with Windows Insiders preview build 20211, WSL 2 will be offering a new feature: wsl --mount. This new parameter allows a physical disk to be attached and mounted inside WSL 2, which enables you to access filesystems that aren’t natively supported by...
  8. Buying from the microsoft store

Buying from the microsoft store: So today i saw that the xbox game pass for pc was only 1 dollar for some reason doesnt show euro and so i thought i would get it but the country/region thing is locked to usa and i live no where near there, i changed my region to estonia my country and it still didnt work,...
  9. Can you buy a game for xbox, for example halo 3-5 on the Microsoft store and play it on...

Can you buy a game for xbox, for example halo 3-5 on the Microsoft store and play it on...: Can you buy a game for xbox, for example halo 3-5 on the Microsoft store and play it on your windows 10 (64 bit) pc without any problems? <----- this is the question....
  10. Buy ebook on Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buy ebook on Microsoft store: [ATTACH] Hello, community! I'm trying to buy an ebook through the store but I keep on getting this error every time I try to click on purchase. I'm currently in Argentina, changed the store to US and I'm using Paypal with and Argentine credit card. Is possible that since...