Windows 10: You can upgrade to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now (but you shouldn't)

Discus and support You can upgrade to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now (but you shouldn't) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft plans to release the May 2019 Update for Windows 10 at the end of May 2019. The update will be rolled out slowly to devices at that point and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 15, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

You can upgrade to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now (but you shouldn't)

Microsoft plans to release the May 2019 Update for Windows 10 at the end of May 2019. The update will be rolled out slowly to devices at that point and it will take months before a good percentage of devices has been upgraded.

The update is the last that pushes it automatically on to user devices; Microsoft revealed earlier this month that the feature updating process will change after the release of the May 2019 Update. Instead of pushing updates to compatible systems automatically, feature updates are presented to the administrator of the device but not installed automatically anymore unless the current version is about to run out of support.

The extra month of testing is direct consequence of the fiasco that came out of the release of the last feature update for Windows 10, the Windows 10 version 1809 update. Microsoft had to pause distribution after breaking bugs were found that affected devices in numerous ways. To avoid history repeating itself, Microsoft decided to push the May 2019 Update to the Release Preview ring to give it another round of testing to improve the release quality.

The last feature update, Windows 10 version 1809, reached broad deployment status just last month.

Upgrading to Windows 10 May 2019 Update

You can upgrade to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now (but you shouldn't) windows-10-may-2019-upgrade.png

It is generally a good idea to delay the installation of feature updates on Windows 10 machines to make sure all bugs are sorted out. Administrators who are brave enough, or need to test the new version of Windows, may upgrade existing machines right now to the May 2019 Update.

Note: as always, make sure you create a backup of the system and any important file before you install the update.

Microsoft has not released ISO images of the May 2019 Update officially, and it is not available on Windows Update. The Media Creation Tool on the other hand is already available; you may use it to create Windows 10 version 1903 installation media or upgrade the operating system right away using it.

The build that gets installed is Build 18362.1, the last build that Microsoft released to the Release Preview ring is 18362.53.

All you need to do is the following:

1. Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft: download link
    2. Run the tool after the download. It needs Internet connectivity so make sure it is not blocked.
    3. Accept the Terms of Service.
    4. Decide whether to create installation media (USB Flash Drive or DVD, or ISO image), or upgrade the PC right away.
    5. Wait for the process to complete.

The tool downloads the installation files and starts the upgrade process. The PC needs to restart multiple times during the process. If things work out well, Windows 10 should be upgraded to the May 2019 Update.

Closing Words

Should you update using the tool? Unless you need to, e.g. to test the new operating system on test machines, I'd say that it is better to wait until Microsoft releases the new version officially and some months have passed.

Now You: When do you install updates for Windows? (via MSPoweruser)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post You can upgrade to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now (but you shouldn't) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 15, 2019
  2. AddRAM Win User

win 10 upgrade asking for product key

Just try it through Windows update, you shouldn`t have any issues.

Excellent question Navy, that`s probabaly why. If not then, as suggested, just use the Media Creation Tool and choose upgrade this PC in Step 3.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

AddRAM, Apr 15, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

1. You can upgrade to the Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now (but you shouldn't) - Similar Threads - upgrade May 2019

2. You may now buy Windows 11 licenses directly from Microsoft (but shouldn't)

in Windows 10 News
    You may now buy Windows 11 licenses directly from Microsoft (but shouldn't): You may purchase Windows 11 Home and Windows 11 Pro licenses directly from Microsoft. While that may sound like the logical path to grab licenses, it is not the best deal that you can get. [ATTACH] Windows 11 licenses come in handy in several situations. Computer users who...
  3. You can update to Windows 10 2009 now

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    You can update to Windows 10 2009 now: 2020-08 Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 20H2 via Enablement Package (KB4562830) http://b1.download.windowsupdate.com...874a1d4523.cab Installed in 5 seconds. Took about 60 seconds to reboot though [ATTACH] - - - Updated - - - How to restore the classic System...
  4. Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know: Microsoft has officially kicked off the rollout of Windows 10 May 2019 Update and many users have already upgraded to the new OS. Windows 10 May 2019 Update was actually finalized last month and Microsoft tested the update for another month to address all big issues. It’s...
  5. Windows 10 May 2019 Update is now available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update is now available: Windows 10 May 2019 Update is now rolling out to the seekers (advanced users) and the company will make the May 2019 Update more broadly available in the coming weeks. In the announcement post, Microsoft revealed that Windows 10 version 1903 is only available for customers...
  6. Upgrade blocks for Windows 10 May 2019 Update

in Windows 10 News
    Upgrade blocks for Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Microsoft plans to release the May 2019 Update for Windows 10 at the end of May 2019. The update was expected for a end of March 2019 beginning of April 2019 release initially, but the disastrous Windows 10 version 1809 feature update release forced Microsoft's hand on the...
  7. You can start developing on Windows 10 May 2019 Update today

in Windows 10 News
    You can start developing on Windows 10 May 2019 Update today: We’re excited to announce the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (build 18362) in the Release Preview Windows Insider ring. You may also know this as Windows 10, version 1903. The Windows 10 SDK for the May 2019 Update is now available as well with a go-live license today! New APIs...
  8. Can't upgrade to May 2019 update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't upgrade to May 2019 update.: Hello peeps, I've been trying to get upgrades in my PC for the last couple of months but they always stop because my PC "can't" be upgraded, I asked to a MS tech guy and did some restarts and still wasn't able to get em, apparently I was stuck with the 18358.1 update and...
  9. Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2019 Update: Everything you need to know: Microsoft has announced that the next big release to its desktop operating system is called Windows 10 May 2019 Update. Microsoft doesn’t want a repeat of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update debacle and as a result, the next big update will begin rolling out to advanced users...
  10. You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now

in Windows 10 Support
    You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now: If you are running Windows 10 Home Edition and want to upgrade to Pro you can do it for about £1 English or 14:99 Swedish kroner. To do this click on Start then Settings. Now click on Update and Security then on Activation and you will see the option to upgrade. Click on...