Windows 10: You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in...

Discus and support You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am making this post in the hopes that anyone trying to search for these terms today (battery draining sleep modern standby windows reddit etc. etc.)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/furtiveraccoon, Mar 3, 2023.

1. You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in...

I am making this post in the hopes that anyone trying to search for these terms today (battery draining sleep modern standby windows reddit etc. etc.) can get the most current info. Because there are articles and posts from different points in time that are no longer applicable.

If you want to know if this is your issue, print out a battery report next time you find yourself surprised by low battery on the go! Just open up CMD and enterpowercfg /batteryreport which will create a report tin your C:\users\yourname directory that you can click to open in your web browser. If you see "Connected standby" in the 'Recent Usage' section at a high battery %, and that leading all the way down to a 'Suspended' at a low % (like ~30%), that means your battery was draining while asleep all the way from 100 to 30 in the span of hours because of this stupid feature.

Here's the deal today, as I understand it in layman terms:

• "Sleep" has different standby modes under the hood
    • "S3" standby was the default. It lets you open the lid and resume pretty quickly, but doesn't drain battery. Pretty much nothing going on during that time besides keeping the RAM powered to hold your session memory. CPU/network/etc. all powered off
    • Windows then decided to make "Modern Standby" the default (S0) instead of S3. This keeps the CPU powered on and allows for windows updates and other network connectivity while the laptop is 'sleeping'. That's fine when plugged in, but this drains the shit out of your battery (you know, like when you fully charge up your laptop and then place it in your backpack before you go to human sleep)
    • Okay so just disable it, right?
    • Well, initially you could easily toggle to disable this type of sleep when on battery power (so that it would only use this battery-intensive sleep updating crap when plugged in). they removed this option
    • But at least you could still use command line to disable it. They removed this option.
    • But at LEAST you could still use regedit to disable it. THEY REMOVED THAT <-- I am here. I just did this today. Doing so resulted in the inability to use 'sleep' on my laptop. It's straight-up not there as an option anymore. I can shut down or restart. Nothing else.

tl;dr you cannot disable this sleep-battery-draining feature today. it sucks, it ruins your battery life (and lifetime!! those are extra charge/drain cycles), and you're not going crazy. You DID fully charge it. If you went through five articles in the past promising to fix it (which worked at the time they were written), I'm sorry. Please help advocate with me.

submitted by /u/furtiveraccoon
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/furtiveraccoon, Mar 3, 2023
  2. Bree Win User

High battery drain during Modern Standby sleep, no obvious culprit

I take a different approach from Denis. Rather than trying to disable Modern Standby I adapted it to suit my needs.

I have two 'almost new' laptops. One supports Modern Standby, the other (cheaper) one doesn't.

While I cannot remove Modern Standby, I could tame it. To save on battery power I like all my laptops to sleep (or standby) on closing the lid, then hibernate after 20 minutes if I don't return to them.

My first step was to reduce power drain in modern Standby by disabling network connectivity in Modern Standby.

Enable or Disable Network Connectivity in Modern Standby in Windows 10

Next I set Hibernate after in Power Options. This setting is missing by default on a Modern Standby install of Windows 10/11, so first add it back.

Add or Remove Hibernate after from Power Options in Windows

Then I could make my Modern Standby laptop behave like all my other machines.

You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in... [​IMG]

Bree, Mar 3, 2023
  3. NTN
    NTN Win User
    the battery is getting drained

Maybe your PC is able to use S3 instead of Modern Standby.
    This article describe how to check and how to change.
    Personally I use S3, and it is fast to wake up.

The best use of the battery is to keep it between 50-80% charged.
    Charge it up to 80% and don't charge it before it is drained to 50%.
    There is programs available for this.

How to Disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 & 11
    How to Extend Your Windows Laptop's Battery Lifespan With a Battery Charge Threshold

4. gorgor Win User

You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in...

Nvidia dGPU blocks modern standby on laptop

I am asking for a friend, who owns a Dell XPS 9570, and his modern standby is broken since months now, always draining the battery in 2-3 hours by around 25%. I looked on the laptop via teamviewer, and tried everything to optimize it, deactivated all background stuff, tried out different versions of Nvidia driver, ect. Nothing worked, and it still drains battery. Same on 1909 as on latest 2004.

Sleepreport always hints to that the Nvidia dGPU was running, or not in sleep mode:

You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in... Ryso4ei.png

Everything was closed for this test, no application running. The dGPU was off before triggering standby, checked via HwInfo.

Tried last 3 versions of Nvidia driver (even the latest test one 450.99 and 446.14), always clean install, no Nvidia Experience installed. Two times it worked normally over the past 5 days, for example here:

You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in... Z9g0OVj.png

(https://i.imgur.com/Z9g0OVj.png https://i.imgur.com/m4BAwuI.png)

Any way to debug, why this is happening? The worst is, you cant disable the dGPU, or modern standby wouldnt even work at all. If you disable the Nvidia dGPU in device manager, modern standby also would cause a total drain.

Bios, drivers, Windows 10 2004 all up to date. GPU first choice is set to integrated in Nvidia panel.

Any modern standby experts here, who know if there is a way to debug this? Any special workaround maybe possible, to disable the dGPU with a different way of ticking it to disable in device manager?

gorgor, Mar 3, 2023
Thema:

You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in...

1. You cannot disable Modern Standby on Windows 10. This drains the battery of your laptop in... - Similar Threads - cannot disable Modern

2. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  3. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  4. windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled: yeah the title says it all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-battery-drain-in-sleep-mode-with-connected/a596d731-af7e-4d53-a267-0c811f8a6787
  5. windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled

windows battery drain in sleep mode with connected standby disabled: yeah the title says it all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-battery-drain-in-sleep-mode-with-connected/a596d731-af7e-4d53-a267-0c811f8a6787
  6. My Acer laptop battery drains while in standby screen closed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Acer laptop battery drains while in standby screen closed.: I have run both the battery report and the sleep study but neither one recognizes the discharge that occurs during sleep. So I am not getting any info there on the possible cause. Connected Standby is not supported, per the report. Typical scenario is I close the laptop in...
  7. My Acer laptop battery drains while in standby screen closed.

My Acer laptop battery drains while in standby screen closed.: I have run both the battery report and the sleep study but neither one recognizes the discharge that occurs during sleep. So I am not getting any info there on the possible cause. Connected Standby is not supported, per the report. Typical scenario is I close the laptop in...
  8. How do you disable "modern standby"??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do you disable "modern standby"??: My laptop keeps turning on in my backpack and cooking itself to death. I just took it out of my backpack two hours after putting it in and it's burning hot with the battery drained to around 20 percent. I know I can use hibernate instead but I shouldn't have to. Hibernate...
  9. Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby): For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and...
  10. Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast): I have a lenovo laptop and don't see the point of modern sleep, though I'm hesitant to disable it because I've read that enabling S3 sleep could cause freezing/problems and that it's still faster at waking instantly (or does this not matter with an SSD?). When the computer...