Windows 10: You can't save here. Please choose another location.

Discus and support You can't save here. Please choose another location. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello,Microsoft laptop user. Running Windows 10. In the past few months I keep getting this message when trying to save certain Word documents. See... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by James Kay jkay, May 3, 2022.

1. You can't save here. Please choose another location.

Hello,Microsoft laptop user. Running Windows 10. In the past few months I keep getting this message when trying to save certain Word documents. See screenshot below.It has not happened before. I am having to save files that would normally be in the correct folder on my desktop. This is not great. Can someone help please?

:)

James Kay jkay, May 3, 2022
  2. hvaleton Win User

MS Paint "Save as" location is NOT the file source location

Hi,

In Windows 8.1 (and as far as I can remember in all previous Windows versions) I used to be able to do the following:
    • In Windows Explorer: Open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system, by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (press F12) and save the edited file IN ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION but under a different name.
    Now, in Windows 10, the situation is different:
    • In Windows Explorer I open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (F12) opens a dialogue box that suggests I save the file, NOT in its original location, but in a location that is either the default "pictures" directory or the directory that was previously used as a "save as" location in Paint (these locations are stored in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List")

Now I'd like very much to get the old, Windows 8 type situation back because this does not work for me! It's very inconvenient to have to scroll and click my way through the "save as" dialogue box until I finally find the directory where the edited file was stored in the first place! Why o why does Windows not remember this location?
    I've searched through the internet but it seems nobody else has this problem. I've searched the registry for the word "paint" but was not able to find a setting that would suggest to have some influence on the default saving location of Paint.

Can someone please, please help me? It's driving me nuts! And it's sooo frustrating knowing that it used to work like a charm in WIN8.1 and before.

To clarify the difficulty I experience I perhaps should add that the jpg files I most frequently edit are located on shares on my NAS in paths such as:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bach\Kerk\Jos van Veldhoven\Matthäus Passion, BWV 244 (24-88 2010)\scans\001.jpg
    As you can see, that's buried quite deeply into the file system! And so it costs all the more time and effort to find my way back from the previously edited jpg, say:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bruckner\Orkest\Chailly\Symfonie Nr.6 & Wolf - 4 Goethe Lieder (Goerne, KCO)\scans\001.jpg

P.S. I read somewhere that the "save as" dialogue boxes for Paint and Notepad should be basically the same. But... when I use Notepad to edit some txt file and afterwards use the "save as" option, it does direct me to the original location of the edited file, just as it used to do in Windows 8.1! That tells me that it should still be possible to get the old "save as" behaviour back for Paint. (Or am I being too optimistic here?)
    P.P.S. F12 does not work anymore in Notepad. You have to go through the menu "File" -> "Save as..." That's also a pain in the ass

Which registry key will do the trick for me?

hvaleton, May 3, 2022
  3. Default location to save documenets

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delayed response.

From your recent description, it seems like the issue is confined to Word documents. If true, then follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Launch Word application.
    • Go to File Menu and select Options.
    • In the pop-up dialog box, towards the left pane, select Save.
    • Under Default location file, browse the location you want to save.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, May 3, 2022
  4. Ripper3 Win User

You can't save here. Please choose another location.

FS/FT Thread title location

One more suggestion for B/S/T forum is the inclusion of a location made mandatory.
    I know it's already possible, but there's a limited choice in locations, and not many people use it, assuming that because they're in the US, they don't need to.
    The problem from this comes when they state quite clearly (although sometimes not clearly at all), they only ship to the US.
    Making location mandatory in the thread title would save a bit of time and hassle, and would make searching the forum easier.

A suggestion for this: use the poster's location, if they've added a correct location, as the default.

It's not like it's an issue of privacy, the poster will tell where they're from within the post in a round-about way.

Not a big suggestion, but I thought I'd throw it in there.

Ripper3, May 3, 2022
Thema:

You can't save here. Please choose another location.

1. You can't save here. Please choose another location. - Similar Threads - can't save here

2. Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...: Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-i-keep-getting-you-cant-save-here/bb508832-23a1-48fe-8347-1eb5903aa766
  3. Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...: Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-i-keep-getting-you-cant-save-here/a5248bb1-bd30-4966-8702-0059f6cb0273
  4. Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...: Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-i-keep-getting-you-cant-save-here/a5248bb1-bd30-4966-8702-0059f6cb0273
  5. Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...

Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word...: Windows 10 Home - I keep getting you cant save here try another location when saving a word document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-i-keep-getting-you-cant-save-here/bb508832-23a1-48fe-8347-1eb5903aa766
  6. You can't save here. Please choose another location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You can't save here. Please choose another location.: Hello,Microsoft laptop user. Running Windows 10. In the past few months I keep getting this message when trying to save certain Word documents. See screenshot below.It has not happened before. I am having to save files that would normally be in the correct folder on my...
  7. You can't save here. Please choose another location.

You can't save here. Please choose another location.: Hello,Microsoft laptop user. Running Windows 10. In the past few months I keep getting this message when trying to save certain Word documents. See screenshot below.It has not happened before. I am having to save files that would normally be in the correct folder on my...
  8. Attempting to save a photo as and I get the error "you can't save here, chose another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attempting to save a photo as and I get the error "you can't save here, chose another...: This has just started and I've tried to save to different locations but, yet the same response. I have just changed browsers from Firefox to Chrome, but no other (intentional) changes..I've searched the net but, don't find a solution that seems to fit my issue. I'd...
  9. Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here": I started this thread because I could not find the original one with this issue. I was having this issue as well as many others. I would try to save a file either with a program or browser and would get a pop up saying I didn't have permission to do so. After searching for an...
  10. "Please try again to save to another location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Please try again to save to another location": Am so eager to try the Technical Preview that I'm attempting while traveling to download it from Technet to my laptop. No matter where I try to save it to my SSD with 20gb available it generates an error within the Technet page to "Try to save to another location."...