Windows 10: You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C

Discus and support You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two laptops connected on a wireless network. one of the laptop is on Windows 8.1 and the other is Window 10 version. Up until recently I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Richard Bristow, Jul 26, 2019.

1. You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C

I have two laptops connected on a wireless network. one of the laptop is on Windows 8.1 and the other is Window 10 version.

Up until recently I have been file sharing between the two laptops without any issues but now when attempt to access the window 10 laptop from the window 8 laptop I get the following message 'You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C'. I can still access drive on the window 8 laptop from the Window 10 laptop ok.

I have tried changing permission on the shared drive but this does not help.

Can someone please help?

Richard

:)

Richard Bristow, Jul 26, 2019

2. Cannot access path, no permission

Hello cgherman, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest you follow the instructions down below and visit the link I have provided for you to follow more solutions in case method 1 doesn't help.

The causes of your problem may be:

-You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.

-The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the PC.

-The file has been moved or deleted.

-The file or shortcut is corrupt.

-The file may be blocked by Windows.

-Your antivirus software may be blocking the file.

Method 1: Check the permission of the file or folder

-Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.

-Select the Security tab.

-Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screenshot for this step is listed below).

-Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK. (The screenshot for this step is listed below).

Refer to:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/266924...

Hope this helps!

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, Jul 26, 2019
  3. PKoncz Win User
    1803 Windows cannot access, Do not have permission to access \\name.

First of all Thank you Eagle51 !
    Following up on your 2 suggestions. Go with the easy one first, #2. I created a new Test Folder weeks ago and set sharing to EVERYONE with no success but I have included the picture. #1.The Credentials Manager and everything that has to do with that is all new to me so I did not “Just Delete the one on the Server” It says it was Modified last year? We have not had any sharing issues until recently. I’m guessing removing it will allow everyone to access the Server? I have a picture of Server that says it was created on 8/2/2017 with a name associated TERMSRV/BRIDGET-HP. This computer was renamed by the business mgr to Susan-PC, on July 12, 2018. Not being familiar with Credentials area is completely confusing me. Most computers have No Windows Credentials listed, picture ParishSec, and were able to access the Server from File Explorer. The one computer that still can access the Server is Businessmgr-pc that does have Credentials listed for SSJP-SERVER, picture is attached.
    Looking forward to hear your recommendations on how all these computers should be set so I can access the Server from all of the computer’s File Explorer? Hope you had an enjoyable Labor Day weekend.

You do not have permission to access \ Machine Name \C [​IMG]

PKoncz, Jul 26, 2019
  4. You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C

Windows reports "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• Does this happen only with a specific folder/file location?

This problem results when an administrator, the owner of the file or folder, or a user with the Change Permissions permission for a file or Full Control permission for a folder, changes the access control list (ACL) on the file or folder. Some of the
    changes that could deny a user access to a file or folder they should be able to access include:

• The user or group was unintentionally removed from Group or User names on the file's or folder's Security tab.

• An explicit Deny has mistakenly been applied to the user or group.

• A conflict between share permissions and NTFS permissions was created when someone changes permissions without examining both types of permissions.

Method 1:

Let’s give permission to the folder and check if that helps. Follow these steps to give permissions to the drive.

a) Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select Properties.

b) Click on ‘Security’ tab and under ‘Group or user names’ click on ‘Edit’.

c) Click on ‘Add’ and type ‘everyone’.

d) Click on ‘Check names’ and then click ‘OK’.

e) Select ‘everyone’ and under ‘Allow’ select
    ‘Full control’ and click on ‘Apply’ and Click ‘Ok’.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try the steps in the article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

(Try the steps for Windows 8 as it is applicable to Windows 10 as well.)

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C

1. You do not have permission to access \\ Machine Name \C - Similar Threads - permission access Machine

2. Windows cannot access \\computer name You do not have permission to access computer name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access \\computer name You do not have permission to access computer name.: This questions pertains specifically about network setup between 2 computers - windows 11 and windows 10 respectively. I have read multiple questions on this microsoft community forum specifically about this exact same problem.... with NO resolutions provided. I have the...
  3. Windows cannot access \\computer name You do not have permission to access computer name.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot access \\computer name You do not have permission to access computer name.: This questions pertains specifically about network setup between 2 computers - windows 11 and windows 10 respectively. I have read multiple questions on this microsoft community forum specifically about this exact same problem.... with NO resolutions provided. I have the...
  4. You Do Not Have Permission To Access \\(computer name)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access \\(computer name): I have an in-home Private network with two computers connected through an Ethernet/WiFi router. The laptop is connected via WiFi and the desktop is connected via Ethernet. The laptop has full read/write access to all folders of the desktop. However the desktop receives the...
  5. You do not have permission to access \\PC-Name\C: Contact your network admistrator to...

You do not have permission to access \\PC-Name\C: Contact your network admistrator to...: I am the owner of the 2 computers on my network and I don't know how to give the access. I can access the files from computer 1 on computer 2 but I can't access files from computer 2 on computer 1. Please help...
  6. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device: Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two...
  7. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

in Windows 10 Support
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device: Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two...
  8. You do not have permission to access this folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You do not have permission to access this folder: I have recently installed Ubandu 18.10 on a rack server, and have a 400Gb+ntfs partion which I have files on, and shared that folder using samba. (I have even included a guest share in the samba setting). On both of my windows 10 machines (desktop and laptop), I can see...
  9. You do not have permission to access \\PC123

You do not have permission to access \\PC123: Hi, I have 4 PCs on my home network of which 2 are running under Win7 and are part of a Home group and 2 running under Win10 that cannot join my Home group. In File Explorer on PCs running under Win7, I can see an icon named Home group. I can access each other PCs running...
  10. You do not have permission to access \\johndoe.

You do not have permission to access \\johndoe.: I have three computers that share files on one of the three. We have had no problems doing this until recently. Now I can find files on that computer by clicking on a Quick Access folder, which is on that computer, but I cannot save files there. In order to do so, I have...